Stone Age Survival

I don’t know about other boats but dugouts are thought to have been used

1 Like

Currently I’m working on the day after your on your own, and you see a basic overview of your current items and get your first chance to craft things! Unfortunately because your day starts a little after noon, you won’t have a lot of time for crafting or other things, so you’ll have to gauge your choices carefully as the game will not tell you how much time you have left exactly (you have to judge that on your own) or how much time you’ve used.

But for gaining tech (crafting) points, I’m having some difficulty deciding on if the current way I’m doing it will work, or if I need to find a new way.

Current Way:
You now have a hidden luck skill that changes at random times (usually at the end of an overview, beginning of a day, ect). When crafting, if you’re luck skill is high enough you could potentially gain a crafting skill.

But I feel like this is not the best way to gain crafting skill, or that the crafting skill levels need to be adjusted. Can I get some feedback on that please?

New stats:

• spile1-2 - Stone & shard piles made at your camps, used for storing stone when you don’t have a stone bag or when you craft items while there
  • bpile1-2 - Same as stone piles, but for bones
  • Season - now you can see which season your in
  • fpit1-4 - number shows which kind of fire pit you have, a mostly temporary stat but set permanently since it could be used multiple times in a scene

Also, @kingzug I will definitely check out the dugouts, as they would add another crafted “tool” and make for an interesting addition.

Edit: Found a way to keep people with high luck stat from gaining multiple tech points. I added a craft1 true/false hidden stat, which will go away after a time.

6 Likes

A neat weapon idea would be a sling due to it being simple to make and generally very lethal due to someone who is well practiced in it being able to launch a stone around 100 MPH

Another idea is the Atlatl its which is a devise created by very early man when the part of a humans brain went “Throwing a spear is good but what if we figured out how to throw them harder, faster, farther and more accurate” happened

Pictures for clarity on what they are

2 Likes

I have seriously considered adding the sling, but if I do add them (which I probably will later), they won’t be available until you’re a bit older. It looks like they could be made from skin and sinew or skin and vine, but since your character was orphaned young it might take them awhile to figure that tool out.
I’ll definitely think on that and think about where to add it!

As for the Atlatl, I seriously think I misunderstood what that was. I could’ve sworn I thought it was some kind of chipped stone tool but I must’ve gotten it mixed up with something else. XD

1 Like

The atlatal is actually so old that they also used it in the Americas when it it thought to have been invented in Europe

1 Like

Still working on the crafting scene. I’m guessing at how people would make these tools back then if they had a hammerstone or not, a knife or not, or anything like that. Once the Crafting options are done, I will go ahead and upload before I add on the other choices for the first day!

1 Like

Watch some of Donny Dust’s videos. He tries to do all the caveman stuff, and hes bloody amazing at it.

1 Like

This was great – it reminded me of Clan of the Cave Bear! I liked the use of details, and how the MC focuses on useful things (like the stones by the stream, or the berries in the forest, etc.), as it shows the importance of survival. I also liked how those details changed depending on the MC’s diet. I appreciated the plant and animals descriptions in the stats screen, and enjoyed how it describes even well-known plants/animals like the rabbit as though we’re hearing about it for the first time. It added to the sense of this being a different time and place.

I’m glad that the MC won’t be stopped from hunting or gathering or any other role because of their gender, especially because they recently discovered the remains of a Stone Age woman who hunted big game in Peru.

Regarding names, while there isn’t really any evidence because writing started to appear in the Bronze Age, I think the characters should have them – not only because we know early humans of MC’s time were using symbolism through art and shared other cultural similarities with modern humans like trade, but it’d make the story easier to read. The absence of names stood out to me during my first playthrough because it made it seem like the MC didn’t really know the people in their group.

Looking forward to the crafting! :relaxed:

2 Likes

I love anything Mesolithic lol Though how tame is it going to be? Also, assuming this story takes place in the doggerland, what is the state of its submersion? Like will we see alot of fighting over territory or will things be a bit more relaxed.

Replying to several people at once here.

@Kaydie_Gomes No, they are not in the Doggerland. I was thinking they are somewhere more south based, but until I can find a good map of Earth at the time I’m unsure. There is a great earthquake that shakes the land, fractures any remaining nearby glaciers, and forces humans to relocate so it’s possible that Doggerland may be disappearing at the beginning of the game. Again though, unsure, still figuring out exact location and looking for some good maps in the meantime.
Also, it’s pretty tame for the most part. There aren’t a lot of humans around where you are, and the settlements are fairly new when you first reach them (possibly the same age as you, maybe a bit younger). There’s not enough humans around for major territory disputes, but there may be the odd fight over food in the winters or who gets the most share from a group kill or other smaller things like that.

@expectedoperator I hate when fictional or sci-fi game’s don’t give descriptions of unusual plants and animals; it actually irks me cuz I love to name what I see (or figure the name out if it’s already named). Giving a description helps me think of how the animal might react to people, how it reacts to its environment, how it reacts to other animals & vice versa. And it’s the same with plants; giving a description also helps me think of where they grow (like are they water-based like reeds, or tree based like vines).
I will look into a naming system then, cuz I have to admit I feel very uncomfortable not having names for my characters for once. But it will be different, at least slightly, from my other games.

@Jackpot1776 I have not heard of him, but will definitely be checking him out later! Thanks!

2 Likes

Homo Sapiens starting as very Cruel fills my heart with joys

edit 1: Oh weird i wasn’t cruel that time how peculiar

edit 2: Stats are random

1 Like

Update!

What’s New:

• The first night and morning are finished
  • Can now see a list of possible craftable tools and weapons now (there may be a bug or two, not sure, please let me know if you encounter any)
  • First appearance of time limited events (aka most activities will add +1 or more of time, and you only have so many activities you can do in a day)

What’s Coming:

• Other activities for the first day (eating, drinking, collecting food, and gathering supplies)
  • The Quake - cataclysmic event that changes the landscape and forces you out of your homeland
8 Likes

I love this! I’ve always been interested in the outdoors and ancient survival, so this ticks off a lot of boxes. I’m usually used to a game with a bit more plot, but I like the survival and crafting aspect of it. I am totally getting a wolf, and I shall show it the wonders of belly rubs!

1 Like

Oh lovely, so for anyone whose played through to the Crafting choices, I’m sorry if you’re finding some errors.

It’s not letting me use *selectable_if and I’m trying to figure out how to fix it up in a way that works. Will be doing that before continuing on.

Edit: I’m an idiot, I already figured out what was missing XD but I’m going to make it look nicer by making multiple choices for both basic and simple crafts

Edit 2: So I have that issue fixed, and am starting to write the other choices in for the first day alone. You’ll be able to look for crafting materials, can go find food (if you have the bags for it you’ll store it, otherwise you’ll just eat enough to fill some of your hunger) and water, and you can also explore the immediate area just in general (this might give you increases in various skills or stats)

2 Likes

How is winter in the general area the game takes place because I am assuming Central Europe meaning cold and miserable the whole time

So the seasons are described as followed:

• Budding Moons (aka spring) - things are growing, young animals are abundant, ice is cracking or disappearing, all streams and creeks will be thawed when there is no snow on the ground
  • Golden Grass (aka summer) - young animals are now old enough to be hunted, predators are less likely to attack humans unless provoked, plants are abundant, tempers are scarce among the humans
  • Red Tree (aka fall/autumn) - plants are dying back, prey is starting to go to ground or cave, late fall shows snow on the ground and ice begins to form on the streams and creeks, tempers are beginning to rise amongst the humans
  • Ice Wind (aka winter) - plants are almost nonexistent (only in very sheltered spots, beneath the snows occasionally, in certain caves, or along the coastline but will be limited), prey is very scarce (especially small animals), tempers among humans is greatly increased in the Plains and Forest, higher chance to get sick, stored meat last longer
5 Likes

I really hope this gets finished I love cave man stuff.
side note now I want to play far cry primal after this :laughing:

2 Likes

Is the amount of time each activity takes up supposed to be randomized?

Update!!!

What’s New:

• Can now gather crafting supplies on first day alone
  • Choices have been updated from previous issue, now one or two choices depending on current tech skill
  • Some tools or weapons require certain tools to be crafted/owned first
  • Now the possibility of getting:
    • Injured - can now gain injuries, represented by a number which gives a description (0-8, 0 being uninjured, 8 being injured to the point of unsurvivability)
      • Bleed - sometimes when injured you will get the bleed = true, which can have various affects (those affects are unknown at this time, but will most likely be: losing health quickly, chance of infection, higher chance of being ambushed by predators, ect)
    • Scars - similar to ADsL, you can now gain scars that other humans may comment on, some scars could even affect the ability to have children or of getting certain mates
    • Sickness - there is now a (usually hidden) list of sicknesses found in the stats screen, and you now have the ability to get sick; getting sick will not be a very common thing during the game as there may have been different diseases during this time period and humans had different immune systems, but a few sicknesses can be encountered in carcasses, sick animals, or (if in a settlement) from other humans
  • Bone & Stone piles - a hidden stat that only takes place in temporary camps, allows you to gather stones & bones and the shards without needing a bag
  • Luck skill now affects other things besides craft - EX: now determines how easily you find items while foraging, gathering, and might affect hunting (the luck-hunting may change)
  • Sickmeat hidden stat - occasionally you will come across a carcass, or hunt a sick animal possibly, and the meat will be bad, collecting this meat will make the meat in your bag go bad immediately; eating meat while sickmeat = true will cause food poisoning
  • Skin Roll - a roll of skin that’s been scraped completely clean, used for drawing and recording everything you come across; later on this also allows you to trade your knowledge for items like clothing, food, shelter for the night, herbs, or other things of value
  • Herbs - healing herbs are beginning to make an appearance; they require the plant bag but will not count as food; plant info page has been updated to show possible uses

Time will vary according to: your age (this doesn’t matter later on really, but as a child you won’t have the same energy or time management skills adults have), your skills, the activity chosen, and any other factor that could make things easier or harder

6 Likes

Would some scars increase the ability to find a mate under the assumption that in many time periods scars were seen as manly and your hardiness do to the fact that you did not die although their is a limit to that like if you had a mangled face

2 Likes