Envoy’s Conundrum (WIP)

It depends on which Roman period we are talking about. Depending on the century, they had a lot of rights and manumission was a common practice. They could even gain a lot of wealth, although that wealth technically belonged to their owners. Roman slavery was a sharp contrast from its Atlantic counterpart. There was a big quality of life difference between a Greek slave tutor/intellectual and one who worked in the mines.

I always remember the story of Vedius Pollio, who used lampreys to execute slaves and tried to do the same in front of Augustus when one of them broke a crystal cup. Legend says the emperor ordered a soldier to break all of his crystal cups when witnessing that brutality. Obviously it’s propaganda, but it shows how this kind of treatment of slaves was not socially acceptable.

It’s fascinating how complex their slavery was from a modern perspective.

The Romans were occasionally inclined to recognize slaves that proved particularly capable. But the vast majority were treated essentially as chattel. They routinely worked them to death, raped them, made them fight to the death for entertainment. It was also not uncommon for slaves to be lifelong slaves and their children were born as slaves as well. And their mines were essentially where slaves were sent to die.

And slavery does make a remarkable cultural study. How are culture treated their slaves really said a lot about them.

2 Likes

MC actions will be more important then his thoughts. For example MC is disgusted by the orgies but if he takes part in them, he will be judged by his action not his thought.
I am planning on doing it this way because I feel that in some other games it feels like other can read MCs mind.
@anon51362788
Some game was hunted with spears. For example boar and bear. And considering that spear would be the most common weapon. It will be used by both hunters and fighters. Difference is their ability to use the shield, track animals, fight in formation, using the bow (hunters should be better at it), trapping and such. I doubt it will all be prominent in the game, but there will be a difference.
@IRONHILLdwarf
My good fellow dwarf, you must have me misunderstood when I said technologically more advanced. What I meant by that is that their (a bit) superior knowledge about metallurgy, architecture, agriculture and some other areas gives them some advantages.
@Anna_B
I always thought that the point was that you can at least for a time be someone else. MC being female would result in very different perspective, so it would be like writing two separete stories.

2 Likes

I had rather hoped you meant far more advanced. Something with more of a science fiction vibe to be honest. Which is in my opinion something you should consider. It would make for a more poignant discussion of cultural variables than a simple transition from tribal barbarianism to urban civility, something that was quite easily accomplished by most so-called barbarian peoples. You should go more grand. An Atlantis style civilization would be my suggestion as it would allow for a more stark contrast, something that might truly catch the MC off guard. It would also allow for more fantastical elements.

I would suggest playing the Choice Game Silverworld. It is very sci-fi oriented but it deals well with the clash of future and past.

2 Likes

I updated the demo yesterday. Check it out.

8 Likes

Name it Billy. :+1:

2 Likes

Kek, just might.

2 Likes

well since this game is all about a clan why not pick a clan name for the name of your game until you can think of anything better…

2 Likes

That seems like the easiest solution.

Regarding progress on the project I have made very little. I fell ill few days after posting the update (some kind of flu) and after I got better the autumn harvest started so I’m occupied with that. And yes, combines harvest the crop, I’m still needed to help some people with storage of corn which is used as animal feed, which is done manually. I’m sorry if it doesn’t make any sense bit my insomnia coupled with lot of manual labour has left me in somewhat zombiefied state.

4 Likes

also another easy one is calling it a clan name like in this program i watching called Douluo Dalu the main protagonists gets sent to another world when he sacrifices himself for his clan and decides to bring his clans name into the new world he was transported to which was called Tang Clan.which in season to the elders in his clan rename it tang sans army mighta got the name wrong cant remember which episode they decided to rename it granted he only made it when his enemy decided to go to war (p.s here’s a bit of information i found about the show as well as his previous life granted its pretty short but its just a example incase you get any ideas for you game out of the information}
Synopsis
Tang San is one of Tang Sect martial art clan’s most prestigious disciples and peerless in the use of hidden weapons. With high expectations, the sect’s elders believe his future will be bright; yet Tang chooses to forsake this life at the cost of obtaining the sect’s forbidden lore—an action punishable by death. Tang, now content with his ascension of knowledge, sees no reason to keep on living and jumps from Hell’s Peak, but little did he know that that would not be the end of his existence.

In Douluo Continent, the strong prevail and the weak perish. Each person possesses an innate spirit, some of which can be cultivated and strengthened, bestowing its user with various benefits. Those who were born with such spirits can become Spirit Masters, a profession regarded as one of the continent’s most noble.

Tang, reincarnated into this strange world, knows only the life of a blacksmith’s son. At the age of six, he takes part in the Spirit Master ceremony, and discovers his spirit is Blue Silver Grass—supposedly the world’s most useless spirit. In contrast, however, he possesses strong spirit power. Now, aided by the memories of his previous life as well, Tang’s future as a Spirit Master is in no way bleak.

I must apologise for my absence and lack of progress on the project.
I had some unforseen weddings (last one is next Saturday) and other obligations towards friends and family all the while solving idiotic tests for jobs and attending interviews only to be turned away.

Currently I’m rewriting some parts I dislike and trying to redesign the stats page. I will make an update once I’m happy with the first chapter and stats page.

10 Likes

figured out a name for you game project yet?.

We’ll see at the update.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.

At author’s request.

With 1st chapter finally done, I think the WIP needs to be named. Choose one of the options, or if you hate them all equally write it in a comment that I suck as both the author and pollmaker.

• Blood Creek’s Honourable Envoy
  • Billy
  • Honourable Envoy of Blood Creek Clan
  • Adventure(s) of Envoy of Blood Creek
  • Envoy’s Path
  • Adventure in Ecas: Envoy

0 voters

3 Likes

O.O whoa thats a long name

1 Like

A few words about the state of WiP.

I haven’t given up on it. I have around half of second chapter done.

Now to the good part. My mentor has finally accepted my final thesis. (Yes, I’m bragging, but it also means I will have more free time.)

Bad news, earlier this month, I got a job which is in another country and involves a lot of traveling. Which means that until I become a bit more familiar with the job, accomodations and the whole situation that work on WiP will be none to minimal. Expect my involvment on the forum to also be diminished.

How long will it take me to accomodate to the new cicumstances?
By my estimation, I think until the end of August.

8 Likes