62 Likes

Basic Alien Information:

Name: Yuri-9
Uniform: flowing robes
Body Type: human
Skin Color: grey
Special Feature 1: third eye
Special Feature 2: web hands

Origin: You hail from the planet of Qoter-15 where it is perfectly acceptable to ask about the other being’s medical history when meeting a stranger.

Attributes:
Vitality: 3
Resolve: 3
Allure: 3
Spontaneity: 8
Brilliance: 8

Health: 6
Maximum Health: 6
Special Ability: Perfect Memory
Archetype: Genius

1 Like

Expensive character creators means that’s there is no way I am going to create merely one MC.

I do like how the game lets us know when a choice is going to based on a stat and which one it will be based on!

9 Likes

Hope that you allow us to specify the outfit a tiny bit more within the sub-categories

For example my cute male aliens would wear stuff a bit like this as casual clothes if at all possible, which is sexy but not necessarily all that skimpy, certainly no “princess Leia” slave/“space babe” outfits and bare feet but still plenty sexy.

http://www.farscaped.com/jcleathers.jpg

Of course I recognize the starting outfits are most likely the diplomatic “formalwear” of the mc’s race. But I would like to offer these as suggestions for future episodes, as my mc would prefer not to have to wear the stuffy diplomatic/formal robes of his race all the time. :wink:

Also I do like the contrast that while my mc’s race wear formal robes (they probably have hoods too) that for more friendly “formal” occasions such as weddings or coronations they, like the Betazoid’s of Star Trek wear only jewelry, if that. :grin:

8 Likes

Yes, while I usually dislike putting stat-stuff into the choices, since the game uses dice rolls for Attribute checks, I want to make it clear which Attribute is getting checked. These will tend to be the big risk/reward type of choices, and there will typically be other options.

5 Likes

I agree with @idonotlikeusernames we need leather jackets!

2 Likes

And pants and boots too. :grin: However, like I said since this is in episodes, plenty of time to acquire something more casual and change out of our diplomatic formalwear in episode 2-3. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, I can totally see the MC and other crew members getting the chance to purchase new clothing and gear on the journey. That could be a lot of fun, actually.

Right now, they only have the clothes on their backs. And since it was a peace conference, no weapons were allowed, so they have rely on abilities and attributes for now. I’m writing some flashback material right now.

7 Likes

Oh! Here’s an idea. What if your alien physiology allowed you to morph your skin to look like human clothing? Then you could “change clothes” whenever.

3 Likes

Well if our own “Earth” (In contrast the their “Terra”) is one of those “parallel development” or human seed worlds then a Comic Con might not be a half-bad place actually for the more humanoid of the crew to acquire some new outfits in a more comedic/lighthearted episode. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thinking about it, I’d also like the option, like in Zombie Exodus, to make a custom assignment of my mc’s attributes (presumably 25 points total distributed over five stats with values ranging from 3 to 8 per stat). For example I’d like to maybe build my mc around a 7 brilliance and 7 allure build but make him less spontaneous then Communicator archetype, because the space-elf culture he hails from is quite traditionalist and conservative in its own ways, compared to the Terran standard/average.

5 Likes

Just wondering, but given the complexity of character creation, would it be possible to make a “back” option, or would that be too problematic to code? Not that it’s really needed given you can just hit restart I suppose, but it might be nice for qol.

Other than that, less choice in alien features than I was expecting, but that’s pretty understandable. Everything else looks great though. I certainly wasn’t expecting a literal dolphin, but I love the idea.

also, char info I guess

Name: Caithe
Uniform: lightweight armor
Skin Color: grey
Special Feature 1: pointy ears
Special Feature 2: web hands

Origin: You hail from the planet of Europa where it is perfectly acceptable to sample others’ food without asking permission and share your opinion about the taste.

Attributes:
Vitality: 4
Resolve: 8
Allure: 5
Spontaneity: 4
Brilliance: 4

Health: 12
Maximum Health: 12
Special Ability: Empathy
Archetype: Leader

2 Likes

Basic Alien Information:

Name: David-3
Uniform: jumpsuit
Skin Color: violet
Special Feature 1: forehead ridge
Special Feature 2: stripes

Origin: You hail from the planet of Friday-13 where it is perfectly acceptable to remove all clothing when making an important decision with allies.

Attributes:

Resolve: 4
Allure: 8
Spontaneity: 5
Brilliance: 5

Health: 7
Maximum Health: 7
Special Ability: Flight
Archetype: Communicator

1 Like

Wow… I love it so far @Eric_Moser !

2 Likes

For those of us with a certain maturity level and/or minds in gutters, the title can evoke some interesting imagery. I’m sure you thought of this, so well-played. I’m sure you’ll get interest generated due to that, although I dread to see the raitings of anyone too disappointed.

:two_hearts:

15 Likes

My Alien:

Basic Overview:

Name: Sascha
Body: Base Humanoid
Sex: N/A
Form: Slim, Elegant
Planet: Acer-5

Elaborated:

•Ear-like Antennae(thinking of the Eves from Denma and the Quanx)

•Elongated Neck

•Porcelain white skin.
Likes to decorate it with tasteful black tattoos.

•Communicator build.
But Sascha isn’t very good at heart-to-heart conversation what so ever.

•Combat Tail. Appears completely natural despite its mechanical nature.

•Wears Jumpsuit.
Prefers form-fitting clothing, but only if it covers everything.

•On Acer-5 it is perfectly acceptable to sample a stranger’s food and critique the taste. Sascha finds this weird but does it anyway.

1 Like

The “vaguely humanoid” options are a little lacking. I think it could do with some expanding. In particular I strongly suggest a molluscoid option. I went in determined to create a Davy Jones-style octopus-headed alien and was unfortunately stymied.

8 Likes

Name: G’leal
Uniform: flowing robes
Body Type: lizard
Skin Color: violet
Special Feature 1:
Special Feature 2:

Origin: You hail from the planet of Qoter-15 where it is perfectly acceptable to ask about the other being’s medical history when meeting a stranger.

Attributes:

Resolve: 3
Allure: 3
Spontaneity: 8
Brilliance: 8

Health: 6
Maximum Health: 6
Special Ability: Telekinesis
Archetype: Genius

1 Like
Alien!

Basic Alien Information:

Name: Bzzgzzshzzizz
Uniform: lightweight armor
Body Type: insect
Skin Color: gold
Special Feature 1:
Special Feature 2:

Origin: You hail from the planet of Ffbt where it is perfectly acceptable to sample others’ food without asking permission and share your opinion about the taste.

Attributes:
Vitality: 5
Allure: 6
Spontaneity: 7
Brilliance: 3

Health: 9
Maximum Health: 9
Special Ability: Taunt
Archetype: Scoundrel

I love that the character creator explains the creation process to us right off. It’s very welcoming, and then as well, I’m not left to wonder about whether it’s going to go on and on (which, in this case I know it wouldn’t, but if I hadn’t read other things you’d written…).

Would have loved rainbow skin for my insect.

Example: A character with low Spontaneity who possesses the Good Luck Ability might be able to use Good Luck in certain (but not all) situations to escape danger, find resources, etc.

Does this mean that if I have high Spontaneity, Good Luck isn’t useful to me? Because if some abilities aren’t good options with some archetypes, I’d like to at least be warned before I go ahead and pick silly combinations anyway.

I’m really excited about this game! Fun space opera, how appealing. :D

8 Likes

@Gwenstn, I could add in a couple of “go back” options at the end of different Parts of character creation. That would be relatively quick and easy to do, if you think it would help.

@idonotlikeusernames, I explored giving readers the ability to do that, trust me I did, but I am not a coder like Jim, and I couldn’t get it to work, and I couldn’t get it to pass automated testing and I frankly I spent too much time playing around with it.

@Eiwynn, I thought it was clever enough for now, although I think that the “right” name will reveal itself during the story. Although I might want to do an episode where everyone is naked…for plot reasons.

@Sneaks, I might 1 or 2 more options, if those sorts of builds are requested by readers. Even though they are mostly just “skins” and won’t affect much, I still plan to write scenes, including the backstory, where your appearance is noted, so I didn’t want to overwhelm myself with too many descriptions to write. (I’m trying to learn my lesson from CCH). Also, I was considering a squid type NPC, so I didn’t want that sort overlap between an NPC and the MC. It would be too odd not to mention the similarity in the narrative, and then I create more work.

@Fiogan, I’m still fine-tuning the mechanics, but basically, I’m using Abilities as “get out of jail card,” meaning you won’t totally fail when using them. In fact, I anticipate your Ability working well, when it is presented as an option. Telekinesis works against the blobs. So do the illusions. And I’m going to remove the -1 Health for MCs who use Empathy in the first scene, so give those players a more complete “success.”

That being said, I will try to write situations where only 2 or 3 Abilities can help for each given choice, so many times your Ability won’t come into play at all, and you’ll have to rely on Attribute checks (or relying on crew, using resources, etc).

So basically, if I offer you the chance to “use” Good Luck, it will work. However, relying on a Spontaneity check will always carry some risk of failure.

4 Likes

I decided for my character, I’d go for that Khajit feel, you know. Not just appearance wise but also archtype. Now all I need to match it with the right personality :smirk:

Basic Alien Information:

Name: Yuri-9
Uniform: jumpsuit
Body Type: cat
Skin Color: white
Special Feature 1:
Special Feature 2:

Origin: You hail from the planet of Qoter-15 where it is perfectly acceptable to announce whenever you feel the need to eliminate waste material.

Attributes:

Vitality: 5
Allure: 6
Spontaneity: 7
Brilliance: 3

Health: 7
Maximum Health: 9
Special Ability: Perfect Memory
Archetype: Scoundrel

Aside from that, I’m still going to experiment with the character creation, so many possibilities. Also, thanks to @Eiwynn, I didn’t think twice about the title, although I was almost considering choosing the ‘remove clothes for important decisions’ option. I do have one question though; for the special trait, you have the option to have a combat tail. This is just me, but I feel like that’s more applicable if we chose a non-humanoid skin ( unless you going for that human-animal hybrid look, in which case I totally understand). Otherwise, keep up the good work and hope you don’t get work overload considering your other projects :grin:.

1 Like