Stars Arisen - BETA CLOSED!

Reclaim your mother’s lost throne with the mighty power of the skies! Bring down lightning on your foes, climb an endless tower, and call the ghosts of old foes to your aid. In this fantasy epic, how will you wield your magical birthright?

Stars Arisen is a ONE MILLION-word interactive epic fantasy novel by Abigail C. Trevor, author of Heroes of Myth.

After a four-hundred-year reign, your mother, the immortal and all-powerful Sorceress of the Skies, was overthrown in a violent revolution. Called a tyrant and forced into exile, she was believed dead by all—except you, her secret child and chosen heir. Now, as the Sorceress’s life bleeds away, she has given you a task: steal back the fallen stars that granted her power and reclaim her crown.

With the last vestiges of your mother’s magic in your hands, you’ll descend for the first time to the city she left behind and discover how it’s reshaped itself in her absence. The rebels who cast it down feud over its governance, and rioters in the street grasp at the remnants of sorcery in the city’s secret corners. Seeing the rising new world, do you still intend to fulfill your mother’s ancient vision? Will you restore the Sorceress’s might, shatter it for good, or claim it for yourself?

• Play as male, female, or non-binary; gay, straight, bisexual, monogamous, polyamorous, asexual, and/or aromantic
• Make your mark with power or political acumen
• Romance a radical orator, a savvy journalist, an outlaw mage, the heir to the rebellion, or the ghost of a master thief
• Pit feuding factions against each other, or guide them to peace
• Literally shape the city as its magical power pulls at your soul
• Learn the legend your mother wanted forgotten
• Summon storms to split the world in two

Wielding the magic of fallen stars, will you rise?

Directions for beta testing:

Email us, beta AT choiceofgames for access.

DO NOT POST ASKING WHAT THE BETA EMAIL ADDRESS IS. The first test to becoming a beta tester is inferring what it is based on how we describe it above.

Do not send DMs/PMs through the forum mail system, Discord, text message, carrier pigeon, or any other method than email.

When you send your EMAIL, include:
• the game you want to test in the Subject line of the email.
• your forum-name
• your real name (first and last).

Please indicate if your family/surname comes first as well. Beta testers’ names are listed in the game’s credits, which are accessed with the “About” link you’ll see within the game. If you don’t want to appear in the credits, or you want to be credited under a name other than your real one, please let us know.

Do not email us multiple times about joining a beta. If you don’t email us as soon as we post a beta, you go into a queue. As we post new drafts, we admit more people from the queue. Eventually, we will get to you. Some beta processes last longer than others, and it may take up to a few weeks to reach the front of the queue.

(We anticipate that the beta for this game will be especially popular! So please don’t worry if it takes a while before you’re admitted. We did receive your email and we will admit you in time!)

When you have been admitted to the beta, we will send you a link, a username, and a password as a reply to your email.

When you have feedback to submit:
• Return feedback as part of the same email thread where you were admitted. Copying beta@choiceofgames on that email is the best way to make sure your comments are seen as soon as possible.
• Please send screenshots or copy/pasted quotes whenever you can; it helps us track down whatever observation you’re making. In particular, the author may see things that you don’t, and/or the screenshot may contain more information than you realize.
• If you’re submitting feedback using the Bug/Submit button in the game, make sure you include your handle/name in the body of the email. The Submit button obscures your email address, and I can’t give you credit for feedback if I don’t know who you are.

A few more notes:
• You cannot be testing two games at once. If you are already testing one game, send in feedback on that game before you apply to another. If you apply for multiple games at the same time, you will likely be admitted first to whichever game has testing slots open up first, and we won’t be able to admit you to the other one until you send in your comments for that one. (From an admin standpoint, it’s easiest if you don’t apply to more than one game at once – applying to multiple games makes it more likely that we’ll miss admitting you to one of them.)

• If you’re admitted as a tester but realize you won’t be able to send in feedback for that game, please let us know! You won’t be penalized in any way - we’ll just take you off the list of testers for that game. But if you sign up to test a game and don’t send comments or withdraw, it will affect your chances of being admitted to future betas.

• There’s no standard length of time for a beta testing period to last, and we usually don’t know exactly how long a game will be in beta when it opens. The best way to know how long a beta will be open is to follow the thread for updates.

• It’s fine to send multiple feedback emails, but if you have a lot of quick comments, it’s easier to keep track of them if you bundle them into one email.

Tips on How to Give Feedback

We’re looking for “high level” and “low level” feedback. Not mid-level feedback.

Low-level = typos and continuity errors. A continuity error is when a character’s gender flips, or someone comes back from the dead, or you run into a plotline that just doesn’t make sense (because it’s probably a coding error). For these low-level issues, screenshots are very helpful. If you see a problem, take a screenshot, or copy and paste the text that is in error, and email that.

“High level” feedback has to do with things like plot, pacing, and characters. “Scene A didn’t work for me because x, y, and z,” is useful feedback. “B character was entirely unsympathetic, because u, w, and v,” is also useful feedback.

“Mid-level” feedback describes things like grammar, style, word choice, or the use of commas. As I said above, I do not want mid-level feedback. In particular, DO NOT WRITE TO ME ABOUT COMMAS.

Be SPECIFIC in your feedback. General comments like “I had a great time and saw only a few spelling errors,” is not useful feedback. In fact, it’s the sort of thing that results in you not being given access to future betas.

Some examples of useful feedback:

• In Choice of the Dragon, you get to choose what type of wings you have: leather or scaled. Someone wrote in and asked about having feathered wings. Great suggestion! Done!
  • In “The Eagle’s Heir,” someone asked about Eugenie. They said that the romance moved too quickly–because she only appeared in the last third of the game–and wished they could have had an opportunity to meet her earlier. So the authors added an opportunity to meet her and start the romance earlier in the game (in a scene that already existed).
  • In “Demon Mark: A Russian Saga” several people commented on how the PC’s parents were unsympathetic, so the authors added a choice or two to deepen the relationship with the parents in the first chapter, to help better establish their characters.
  • Pointing out a specific choice and saying, “this is who I imagined my character was at this particular moment, and none of these options seemed right for me. I would have liked an option to do X instead,” is also really helpful feedback.
  • If you choose an option and then the results of that option don’t make sense. Like, if you thought an option might test one stat, but it seems to have tested a different one.
39 Likes

New draft! Mostly just typo fixes.

This is version 29482

Keep that feedback coming!

7 Likes

New draft, v29846! Changelog:

• Typos and text adjustments
  • Adjusted the circumstances under which you’ll get arrested in the epilogue (basically, if you do a big favor for someone who otherwise would have arrested you, they won’t)
  • Fixed an issue with faction standings in chapter 11

Thanks to everyone who’s sent in feedback so far! A few notes about this game in particular:

• If you’re seeing a continuity issue/something that generally seems weird, please send in a screenshot if at all possible, especially for the last few chapters. There’s a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes there, and the exact text that you’re seeing can be more helpful to me than just describing what’s going on.
  • In particular, if you see a random number in the middle of the text, definitely send in a screenshot or exact quote there. It’s essentially a bug report to me. (For those who care about code details, it’s a multireplace value that I don’t believe should be possible there.)
  • If anyone ends up going through the code (which is not necessary, but I know some people like to do it), and you see code for a situation that looks like it should be impossible, you don’t need to report it unless it also looks like it’s causing a more significant bug. There are enough overlapping conditions going on in the endgame that it’s often easier for me to write a line or two accounting for something than to 100% guarantee that it’s impossible.
7 Likes

New draft, v29943! Changelog:

• Minor continuity fixes
  • A lot of difficulty adjustments, especially in the second half of the game. If you had trouble achieving the things you wanted before, I strongly recommend playing again.

I encourage people to send comments in sooner rather than later - changes can be complicated to make with a game this long, so the earlier I have them, the easier it will be. Thanks, everyone!

3 Likes

New draft, v29987! Changelog:

• Typos and test adjustments
  • Minor continuity fixes
  • Added some explanation about how tests work in the stats glossary
  • Clarified in the epilogue that you can’t resurrect anyone other than the person or people who are specifically listed
  • Adjustments to Remnant Stars lore
2 Likes

I assume you generally would have anyway, but just as a note to testers, can you make sure to let us know if the game ever freezes? Particularly if it seems to be happening when you trigger at least one achievement. We’ve had a couple reports of it, but we can’t see an issue on our end.

2 Likes

New draft, v30006! More typos, text adjustments, and continuity fixes/clarifications.

4 Likes

New draft, v30027! Changelog:

• Added an earlier reference to the fact that the electoral ball will be happening
  • Added more references to the Sorceress’s supporters who still exist in the city
  • Expanded the circumstances under which you can kill Baz. To be honest, no one asked for this. I just personally felt that your window of opportunity to kill Baz was too narrow.

I don’t have an exact date yet, but there’s a good chance that this beta will be wrapping up soon, so now would be a good time to send in any remaining feedback.

6 Likes

If anyone’s been able to successfully get into a romance with both Em and Natalia, could you let us know at the beta address? The automated testing program that I use to judge the difficulty of most things in the game hasn’t been able to trigger that, which isn’t necessarily a problem because it requires a series of specific choices and computer-generated random playthroughs aren’t good at those. I don’t have any reason to think that it isn’t achievable by real human players, but I want to make sure that it is, particularly by real human players who aren’t me and aren’t familiar with all the behind-the-scenes details.

New draft, v30058! Changelog:

• Some changes to the tests to get into the Em/Natalia romance, should hopefully make that easier

We’ll be wrapping up soon! Please get any final feedback in now!

3 Likes

This beta is now CLOSED! Thank you to everyone who tested!

Stay tuned for the release of Stars Arisen in March 2023!

2 Likes

For anyone curious, final changes that will be in the released game include adjustments to the interview scene to hopefully make things clearer/easier, and making it easier to avoid the final confrontation with the Sorceress under some circumstances, particularly if there’s a combined government situation.

Thanks so much to all the testers!

9 Likes