Speaker [WIP] (updated 2/3/21)

Really interesting, and a great beginning too! I was instantly hooked! Keep it up! I’m intrigued to see how the plot’s gonna develop.
Loved Barkspawn by they way! <3

2 Likes

Psychic crime-solver with my twin? I’m sold.

4 Likes

Interesting & intriguing game so far… Clairvoyance has always been one of my favourites in abilities… Really interested to know how the game progresses in the coming updates…

1 Like

Just know: I got the Barkspawn reference. Thank you for putting it in there.

2 Likes

There’s a lot to love here! I like that we have a sibling character/dynamic to play off of, since that’s not particularly common in CoGs, and the dog character is adorable—I really appreciate that our pup subtly sets the scene for what kind of supernatural/fantasy shenanigans to expect. It’s a great clue-in where one could easy just say, “oh, yeah, and also there’s all sorts of fantasy shenanigans.” But instead, our smoky, wispy, phasing pup really gets the point across without beating us over the head with it.

I think the best term I can think of for the overall atmosphere is “charming.” The sibling relationship, the world building, and the tone of the writing all feel very cozy and welcoming. Even if something horrible happens, I know I’m going to enjoy reading about it!

Little asides like this one (Her family owns an apple orchard (or is an apple orchard? You’ve never been quite sure of the terminology) outside of town) really add to the charm while also providing insight into lore. Again: a whole vibe, a big fan.

But I’ve waxed poetic long enough! I’ll be haunting the Speaker thread henceforth to see what’s next. :wink:

EDIT: Just noticed that there’s some save shenanigans going on and took a peek at the code; you’ll want to change “mygame” in the save code (in startup) to something unique to Speaker, otherwise the saves for your game will get crossed/confused with saves for any other games also using the default “mygame” tag!

11 Likes

That was short but really interesting!
I love how
Seb is like: Speakers don’t exist.
Me In my head: There’s a Speaker sitting next to you, dude.

^^

4 Likes

Very interesting. Can’t wait for the full story

1 Like

Aah, I do have to say, I really do like this wip. I have a twin sister irl and while, I’m the eldest, it’s kinda nice to play as the quote unquote sidekick/younger twin for a change lol (although with my real life situation, being second-best feels more real for me in a way). I’m really interested to see where this wip goes regardless of the pathways chosen (although I’m currently more in favour of the Seb path, as there’s a bit of extra information wrt the existence of Speakers). I’m defo keeping an eye on this wip (my irl twin also having a bit of interest hahah) and am really excited to see where it goes. Best of luck !!

3 Likes

Interesting

1 Like

Really interesting start, am looking forward to reading more.

1 Like

Aah! I love the concept of this story, and the demo was such a fun read! Being a Speaker sounds very interesting, especially because it seems as though Speakers aren’t even thought to be real in the story’s world. At least according to Wynric.

I’m excited to meet Rory and the others (so far I’ve only met Az and Seb!). I can already tell I’m going to have great fun reading this!

4 Likes

I’m interested to see how it plays out.

2 Likes

I finally get around to reading this and it was amazing! Even though it was so short (and it had a very sudden ending) I really enjoyed it, I’m excited to see what comes next.

Also, I really like that you let us name our twin. I don’t have a twin, but I do have a little sister and it helps to immerse myself in the story a bit more.

4 Likes

This looks super interesting, I’m definitely invested. I’ve got heart eyes for Liam too.

3 Likes

The concept is interesting so far! Can’t wait for more :smiley:

3 Likes

Yay you made a forum post! Loved the demo so far, not to be that person but I see a lot of similarities in our writing styles so this was quite an enjoyable read for me! The concept is very unique as well, and I’m excited to see where the world building takes us!

I found one tiny thing

No space between these paragraphs

1 Like

This game just started but I’m already undecided between Lily and Rory…

2 Likes

Loved the update, I’m very intrigued by this ritual we’ll be performing, though I got very confused when rugs were mentioned. I think it’s more of a cultural barrier, it just seemed so odd to me that you would bring rugs into a room, I initially thought they were for the ritual or something but then they talk about hardwood and carpets and rugs and I got confused again. I suppose they were sitting on the rugs? I don’t know, I’ll just assume that’s the case :joy: Maybe it’s just me, though, ignore my rambling.

Anyways, I’m excited to meet the other ROs soon (especially Rory, from what you say in tumblr they seem very interesting) and to see where this ritual will lead us.

3 Likes

I’ll give it another look and try to reword it to make it clearer, but they were looking for a room with a bare hardwood floor for the ritual and thought the library wouldn’t work because it was carpeted. Seer just pointed out it had rugs, not carpet, so they could be moved out of the way to get to the wood floor :slight_smile: I hope that makes sense

4 Likes

Oh, now I get it. Thank you for explaining! I’ll try to read more slowly next time so I don’t bother you with weird questions. :sweat_smile:

1 Like