SoS: The Mortal Coil (WIP)

@Dae-kalina , I have a few questions:
1) when sariel tells us the instructions to create the human body in the future will the option be available to choose in more depth the physical characteristics of the body or it will remain the same as in the demo?
2) Is there any way for Gabriel to disintegrate from his mortal body? (I mean find a way not to get trapped in a permanent mortal body?)
3) will there be any chance of going to the human world without a shell or is it mandatory?
4) will it be possible for us to disable the shell at times so that gabriel can exercise his maximum power?
5) i think it is obvious but i would like it to be clear: the stronger gabriel is in his angelic form the more destructive power he has? therefore in his human shell he could be a walking nuclear bomb
6) what exactly is the heavenly host? could it be that gabriel has the capacity to perform miracles as a god?
7) when gabriel is in a human body being an angel means that he would be a kind of nephilim? or would he just be an angel with a human body? for example if gabriel is in his human body and has children with an angel those children will be born nephilim?

4 Likes

Loved this demo!

1 Like

I found this on dashingdon and Iā€™m obsessed.

And super impressed by all the stat building stuff and alsoā€¦ 15 ROs.

I am weeping about the fact that this hasnā€™t been updated in awhile but saw that it hasnā€™t been abandoned or anything, so Iā€™m holding on to hope that it will be continued.

Even if itā€™s not for whatever reason, I really enjoyed what I had the opportunity to read. It was creative and well-written.

27 Likes

The author is currently reworking the first part of the game, to make some changes to it in preparation for future stuff. So the game is absolutely still being worked on, and as far as Iā€™m aware progress was looking really good prior to the outbreak. So hopefully weā€™ll see the released rework soonish :3

20 Likes

Honestly 15 ROs sounds like it would be very very difficult to balance and write for.

Unless most of them are just one-night stand type deals, with there being a core group of ROs tied to the main narrative.

Still, whatā€™s been written so far has been pretty interesting. Definitely going to be keeping an eye on this.

Nah. Iā€™ve been creeping on the socials tied to this and it seems like the author has actually put a lot into the planning of the story, so I trust if they have 15 ROs, they have planned for them. I think I also saw something about not all the ROs actually being ROs depending on the personality of your MC too so that probably adds to balance.

17 Likes

Right, for instance I donā€™t think Iro or Ryder are available if you arenā€™t evil so Iā€™m sure going the good angel route will have you trying to kill them or something

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if this question has been answered but if God is missing or dead would Gabriel be able to take the throne or somehow some way gain the power of God if he is dead or missing? And if so then will there be more to that like being able to control godly things and the angels? I presume that if we do have the power to become a god it would be tied to the ā€œmiraclesā€ stat?

1 Like

I have this feeling itā€™s a little more complicated than that. Not in the ā€œtaking the throneā€ way, but rather the ā€œwhoā€™s currently sitting on itā€ way.

Well, at least among other gut feelings that might be mind-blowing if true. :thinking:

5 Likes

What do you mean ā€œsitting on the throneā€ are suggesting that if someone sits on it they just become a god? If so it would be pretty underwhelming if we can only be ā€œgodā€ only when we are in the throne.

1 Like

I think she means that God may have vacated His throne, willing or not. And someone else is pretending to be God. (Lucifer? The Council?)

1 Like

I doubt anyone has actually taken Gods position, if I were to wager a guess the throne is and has always been more or less vacant, itā€™s been made clear that God rarely makes his actual will clear and as such his position is hardly a constant. As it is it seems the archangels act as gods voice when he actually speaks and reside as acting command of heaven but in the end answer to the council which decides if they have been in the wrong and condemns them to falling or takes away their position if they feel they are no longer enacting Gods will. As such I think heaven operates quite like a modern democracy where different aspects of power are spread between different parties. If I am correct that would mean taking the throne would mean taking the position that Gods absence leaves vacant, you would still be below God, but as long as he doesnā€™t speak you would be the one who decides what is heavens course of action, what is Gods will.

15 Likes

Well I agree on the not knowing what Godā€™s will is and such it really is ironic from our own world and how some of us perceive it. Though on the fact that God has just vacated his seat is not right with me becuase;

1. God is asking gabriel to protect Daniel and he says that God hasnā€™t talked in a long time and so have the other angels.
  2. The story says that God is ā€œdeadā€ and so he could either be dead or something mustā€™ve happened to him.
  3. With how many similarities there are between christianity and this story there would be no reason for God to leave or have a vacation as he is righteous, patient, just and such.
  4. The creator of the wip stated that the heaven meaning angels and every other being in the realm are worried becuase the seat has been vacant so it could clearly be stated that God has not done this before or atleast to this degree.

Thatā€™s really why I donā€™t think itā€™s that God is just being godā€¦ I think something happened I mean there are different gods in the world and any of them could have done something to ā€œour godā€

While it is more than possible that he is actually dead, the assumption that God is good or patient might not be entirely accurate, after all the author has already shown that they understand the role angels have, they arenā€™t benevolent beings they are soldiers, while this doesnā€™t mean they are evil they are far from what Christianity today tries to make them seem. The same applies to God, he most certainly isnā€™t downright evil, but he has shown that he is more than down for a hard reset, wipe everything out or abandon everything and try again. He could have just decided the angels are no longer worthy and left them. Iā€™m not downright disagreeing with you but I somewhat doubt that anything is far from the regular, except for how the angels are reacting to Gods actions. Michael seems to be the defacto leader of the archangels right now and it could be he is trying to take the throne for himself so to speak in the manner I described earlier, thus forcing other angels to either bow down to him or rebel putting you in that same position. I obviously donā€™t actually know any of this, thatā€™s just my guess

6 Likes

God being absent is a common trope in stories involving angels as characters because itā€™s hard to write conflict with the overwhelming presence of an omnipotent and omnescient Creator hanging over every plot.

It doesnā€™t mean that God isnā€™t righteous just because He canā€™t be found, even by Archangels. He could have good reasons for being away.
At the moment, Iā€™d say we just know too little about it to be able to tell.

7 Likes

Idk if this idea is good or not butā€¦ how about God gives the message to our mc, then reappears in heaven stating his will and maybe sorting out any issues (the councilšŸ˜‘) in heaven then leaving once again.
Also i think that the Archangels and the Council are on the same level however the both groups deal with different aspects. Say for instance the council deals with civil matters within the real of heaven and maybe conduct diplomacy between hell thru the Archangels, while the Archangels themselves deals with more military matters such as protecting heaven and earth, espionage/counter espionage.

1 Like

God working so directly would be out of character from what Iā€™ve come to expect from him, but setting things right isnā€™t out of the question certainly

I wouldnā€™t consider this wrong for this particular story, but itā€™s christian base leads me to think that at best he has the reason of wanting to let us find our own way (Which is a bit weird since weā€™re still expected to follow his will) If that isnā€™t the case then I think his absence isnā€™t founded at all, or that he is indeed dead or something of the sort.

This demo had me hooked. Love the writing and how much we can shape the MC. This is the WIP Iā€™ll be looking forward to the most! Hope all is well

7 Likes

@QuixquillianParadise
Thanks again for these! I appreciate it. A lot of these have been fixed in the revisions Iā€™m doing but arenā€™t yet available to the public, but itā€™s good to double check and thereā€™s always a few new things!

About your number three that line triggers if you prefer men or are ace, and have a charisma over fifty. From what I understand, your character is ace. Fae donā€™t do emotional intimacy as a general rule of thumb, so explaining you arenā€™t interested in sex in general would be poorly received and Laniwynn is not a woman to upset. ā€˜Iā€™m not generally attracted to womenā€™ here means ā€˜Iā€™m not interested in having sex with youā€™ but said in a way that is intended not to upset her by singling her out. She can now perceive it as a character quirk rather than a slight.

If your charisma is lower, it goes like this:

Charisma<50

ā€œDonā€™t make this about you,ā€ you state, words harsh. ā€œIā€™m not attracted to women sexually. Do not take insult where there is none.ā€

Laniwynnā€™s head tilts to one side, and she studies you with some surprise. ā€œWell, then I suppose I should be flattered that you chose to dance with me at all then.ā€ Itā€™s not quite a question, so you donā€™t respond.

ā€œI suppose I can appreciate your forthright response,ā€ she concedes reluctantly, huffing softly.

ā€œI do appreciate the offer of a bed for the night, free of expectations,ā€ you remind her of her offer, knowing that fae are creatures of their word, despite how manipulative and conniving they are.

ā€œHow you survived at the Courts is a mystery to me,ā€ Laniwynn states, shaking her head. ā€œFew of those pompous fae appreciate blunt natures such as yours. Fortunately, I find it refreshing, even if what you say is not what I would like to hear.ā€

Laniwynn turns, stepping on a troll as she heads towards a path dimly lit by faerie lights. You hasten to follow her, skirting around the troll. Better not to court disaster. You are already playing with fire.

I will probably end the demo somewhere, but a large majority of the game will be posted to the forums and all of it will be available to the beta testing groupā€“which will probably be quite large given the scope of this game and the amount of eyes required to give everything a good look.

There is technically a nsfw thread for this game in the forums. It is currently closed. If there is interest, I can ask for it to be reopened.

@Justin_Davis1
When Iā€™m to that point there will be a call for beta testers, but it will require filling out an application and I will have some structured feedback questions in addition to general grammar and other feedback.

Apologies for the confusion! At some point refers to the update. At some point the game will be updated with those scenes. There are multiple flashbacks within the game; the current timeline is the events with Daniel, and then there are flashbacks to some of the major events on your life (which will have an impact on current day events).

Meeting the faction of gods is a flashback. Youā€™ll choose one of four. Training the nephilim is part of the fae flashback. The medium is Aliceā€™s mom. Thereā€™s several opportunities to meet her. Playing muse to Leanardo da Vinci and meeting Mona Lisa (sheā€™s a changeling!) is a flashback. The battle in Rome is a flashback that can potentially tie in with the other pantheon flashback. (Norse gods have a tie in with Ryder, Greek with Iro, Roman with Aelius, Egyptian with another separate flashback). Solving murders is part of the current day gameplay. As a detective you will solve various cases, all of which are considered major crimes but involve a supernatural element. Chewing out demons and arguing with Michael are character interactions and a bad joke on the authorā€™s part. You will have to choose your stance regarding Heaven, but itā€™s a gradual accumulation to a final decision. Cooking is a sort of side event where you can interact with various characters for bonding opportunities and also a nod to the sos discord as they love to joke about Gabrielā€™s inability to cook.

2020 has been a year, to say the least. I am working on updates and would love to get it out before the end of the year but my life is not at all predictable right now :upside_down_face:

@black

1. What sort of characteristics are you interested in? Iā€™ll be honest Iā€™m not 100% sure whatā€™s in the public demo vs what I work with right now, but weā€™ve got facial hair, physical build, height, eye color, hair color, skin color, hair length, sex, gender, and pronouns. Iā€™m trying to limit how many characteristics are explicit vs left to your own imagination as every one I provide will be referenced again.

2. Gabriel getting trapped in the mortal body is a fixed point.

3. The shell is mandatory. The point of the mission is to be covert and blend in as a human.

4. No. This is not a game about the all powerful angel smiting things. You can use your powers in flashbacks without the limit of a shell.

5. Gabriel is not a walking nuclear bomb in human form because the point is Gabriel *is not using their power.*The shell is not built for it. This is part of the plot. It will not change. Limiting how and when you use your powers is part of the challenge of the game. For example, using them too often will result in your cover being blown early and make your journey more difficult.

6. The heavenly host is all of the angels aligned with Heaven, technically. It is often used to refer to a particular group sent out for missions as well, though: ā€œThe host sent to deal with those demons accomplished their mission.ā€ Gabriel can perform miracles as an extension of their connection with Heaven.

7. Angels can inhabit human shells. A human shell is devoid of a spirit. Angels basically possess this shell. The question about nephilim I wonā€™t answer; thatā€™s not something your character would know.

@bric
Ahhh Iā€™m glad you enjoyed! Itā€™s not going to be dropped. Wonā€™t be finished any time soon, but I am relentless.

The final decision of whether or not you like them is up to you. However, ROs are not one-night stands. These are deep, varied relationships you can have. Most are aligned to a specific faction, and with limited time in-game, who you get to know will change each playthrough based on your choices. Characters can be persuaded to ā€˜switchā€™ factions, or prioritize you over other loyalties, but that takes time.

In a quick summary:
Celestials: Ramiel, Sabriel, Michael (even as a Fallen, Ramiel leans more towards supporting heaven than Hell)

Werewolves: Tom, Charleston, Karyn

Werepanthers: Leo, Tadea

Hell: Iro, Aelius

Mortals: Alice, Iain, Zaria

Witches: Stephanie

Himself: Ryder

You are asking very interesting questions :smirk: What God has been up to, and what Gabriel is able to do about their absence, is a major part of the game. Saying too much would ruin the surprise.

But I will say the miracles stat is not tied to that. It monitors how many ā€˜miraclesā€™ you have tried to perform.

No one is pretending to be God. The machinations of Heaven can operate in their absence.

@Christian_Lopez @OscarKane
This is first and foremost a work of fiction, based loosely on the mythos of Abrahamic religions. I do not recommend bringing assumptions about how God works and what they do into this game. And whatever happened, it is not a consequence of other gods working against Gabrielā€™s god.

Michael wants things to continue as ā€˜normalā€™ with everyone doing what ā€˜theyā€™re supposed to do.ā€™

God was around when the Council cast out Ramiel. Their role is not to solve Gabrielā€™s problems. Referring to god as he is a humanism. They do not use he/him pronouns. In-game writing should not be interpreted by your out-of-game religious beliefs. This is not Christian fanfiction. It is not about Christianity as a religion. It is about how a powerful figure (your Gabriel, the pc) works with limitations to shape the future of a boy who may or may not be capable of great things, and discovering what it means to be an individual with your own desires and wants and how that works within larger goalsā€“such as the end of the world.

@camiiisado
Itā€™s going better, thanks! Hope you continue to enjoy <3

89 Likes