SoS: The Mortal Coil (WIP)

One of the most promising WiPs ive seen since I’ve been here in my opinion, the world building is fantastic and the opening demo has already drawn me in.
Out of interest, how powerful are angels compared to what a modern human military could do? Are archangels like Gabriel ridiculously powerful in their angel form?

3 Likes

@Thedailybagel
It partially depends on the power of the angel. In most cases they are far more powerful, angels like Gabriel capable of using their Grace to create explosions that are comparable to nuclear bombs. However, lower angels do not have the strength of Grace to perform extended combat as they typically would rely on Grace when fighting mortals over using their Angel Blade (Angel Blades simply aren’t effective for dealing with people that use tanks, airplanes, and guns generally–they cut through stuff, but they have to do it one at a time and unlike with demons, the humans use ranged weapons and not swords and claws and magic). In a mortal shell the military would be able to defeat an angel by killing the shell. Angels have their weaknesses however, but humans cannot truly kill an angel as they cannot consume the Grace of an angel. The worst they could do is ‘kill’ them to the extent that the angel has to regenerate in Heaven.

5 Likes

@NotGoingToGiveUp
Maybe…
We already know Gabriel blew up a warehouse.

Can I just say thank you for including an unarmed/hand-to-hand weapon as an option to be manifested? 'cause I really want to say thank you for including it. :heart_eyes: The list you shared with us of possible male ROs is killing me though. Asides from the ones where their orientation has been explicitly defined (likely due to it affecting their plot in one way or another - i.e. the gay werewolf), I found myself playing a guessing game as to which ones might be convinced to fedoodle with a male Gabriel. You wouldn’t be able to throw me a bone about Iain, would you? :innocent:

Anyways, best of luck with the writing! You’ve got a good, solid, and interesting foundation and I can’t wait to see more.

1 Like

Honestly, I’m so excited to have Ramiel as an RO. Like that just seems to have so much potential. Also do your Niphilim age like humans or like angels? Or do they age slowly?

5 Likes

@Lithophene
Glad you like the gauntlets! Having some personal experience with martial arts I always like the option to include this (plus who doesn’t like some unarmed combat?).

And I’ll give a rundown on the orientations of all RO that I have mentioned so far (just for anyone else who was wondering), Iain included.

Sabriel–Pan (As a fellow angel, she really does not care too much about gender representations)
Alice–Bi.
Tadea–Gay.
Karyn–Straightish. (Meaning that she is a potential RO for females but it is far more difficult and involves more stringent trait checks–if you aren’t almost exactly her type of person, you may be SoL Certain traits can compensate for deficiencies in other areas. However, as in the case of deceptive, it may negatively impact the relationship if they were to discover a falsehood
Stephanie–Straight
Iro–Bi

Ryder–Bi
Aelius–Bi
Ramiel–Pan (Again, as a Fallen, gender representations are not too important to him)
Charleston–Gay
Tom–Straight
Leo–Bi
and lastly Iain: Straight-ish. In regards to Iain in particular; he has a girlfriend when you first meet him. Regardless of whether you choose to romance him or not, they will split up as the relationship has stagnated and they want different things out of life–you can hasten the end if you so desire. Iain has only ever dated girls, mostly because that was the expectation of him and because he never had a strong attraction to any males. To throw a really big bone if you are trying to romance him as a male: A. Make friends with Alice. She is more aware of Iain’s orientation than he is. B. Have a good relationship with Daniel. Iain likes kids and being a good parent to Daniel makes the mc more attractive to him.

For the characters who are bi: they do react to different genders differently. The romance is different based on genders, though some differences are smaller than others.

@reitakishima
Theoretically all nephilim are hunted and killed within a handful of years after their birth so the answer is unknown… However, they grow to maturity faster than humans and are a classification of lesser immortal, in that they age so slowly that it would be nearly impossible to die due to old age and are immune to most diseases.

24 Likes

/claps hands excitedly/ Well, I’m just glad to hear that I might actually be able to pair up a male MC with Iain! I enjoy challenges like that, haha. I’ll restart as many times as I have to to make it work with him. :kissing_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Will we be able to play Gabriel as ace who still experiences romantic attraction? And if we choose to identify as nb, do we get the choice to express us self as more feminine/musculine/androgynous etc?

@Lithophene
Glad you’re excited! Hopefully he doesn’t disappoint!

@NotGoingToGiveUp

You can if you’re careful. This requires a fairly high empathy and persuasion, and a high relationship with Israfel. He will follow you but not if you come across as cold and indifferent to him; you can be stoic and/or ruthless but you have to be capable of understanding others. It also helps if you can make Michael lose his temper and do something completely irrational…

@Ventura
That is the plan, but this is probably one of the areas where I’ll be looking for feedback the most as this is not typical of my playstyle and I am not personally ace either. I do have one asexual RO that I have yet to introduce, largely because I want to see people’s reactions based on their meetings of them without preconceived notions because they happen to fall into the category of ace RO.

As for the non-binary identification, this can get fairly complicated quickly and I want to do all the gender options I included justice. Right now the options are, for the angel self at least, male, female, neutral/androgynous, and hermaphroditic. This is largely for physical appearance initially. I have considered adding a third distinct gender but the reality of the angels is that they have no natural gender and they mostly deal with at least the appearance of binary genders. Most angels do not elect to choose a binary gender. Many remain androgynous or gender fluid. The lore of this world deals with binary genders as part of the natural creation (there is a term for third genders, based on the ‘Niizh manidoowag’ or Native American ‘two-spirit’) but they are often considered unique and fluctuations of Fate (not a specific character created by a god). So the closest to non-binary would be the neutral option in the angelic gender selection. The angelic appearance is relatively limited, but conversation choices allow for expression of the mc’s self as more feminine/masculine/androgynous if they choose.

The mortal shell is a binary gender. This will be explained why by Sabriel, but to sum it up; they want Gabriel to blend as much as possible and binary gender representations are the majority of humans so the shell must be male/female. However, Gabriel can choose to make comments about their personal gender identification/sexual preferences or lack thereof. Angels have kind of a different view of gender and orientations as angels are technically created as, more or less, non-gendered souls with no physical representation other than a ball of light.

Hope this sort of answers your question?

9 Likes

I feel insulted. I’ve been on a hiatus from COG (to wait for a fresh new wave of content) and 96 WIPs later and I get THIS? I feel like I’ve been stabbed because this is actually so good it feels like I’m seeing something that I shouldn’t. The writing is superb, the imagery is unparalleled, and the storyline has so much potential I’m floored. Congratulations on destroying my emotions. My only note, when choosing your method of attack, the first option for Holy Fire includes “a” instead of “at.” Can’t remember the exact wording (I’m on mobile) But that’s what I remember. Good luck!

8 Likes

@Tlud
Thanks, glad to see you’re enjoying it so far. Found and fixed the typo as well. Great catch! I’ll upload the edit when I get the next part up (hopefully this weekend?)

5 Likes

@NotGoingToGiveUp

There will be at least be the beginnings of an apocalypse. Gabriel, regardless of what side you choose, will be trying to avoid the apocalypse. Even as a ruler of Hell, the apocalypse is not welcome because it means no more humans procreating and providing new souls to corrupt. However, there will be a fullscale war between Heaven and Hell over the rights to earth.

2 Likes

Very very nice…good job.

I just want to say THANK YOU for making a game that rotates around angelic lore etc. The concept you’ve come up with with Gabriel and all the other characters is fantastic. Can’t wait to see other updates :smiley:

1 Like

Regarding the fallen, how does it work connected with hell and all? I mean the choice of being “thrown out” depends on a council (do you get a trial/hearing?), for example by creating a nephilem (why are they such a danger?). This could mean that you could be, essentially what one would call a “good person”, who wants to do what’s right, and still end up fallen. Why would you then choose to join the hell faction to corrupt mortals? Or is it more that the angels will try to kill you on sight, so joining hell is the only way to gain a some form of protection/power to protect yourself? Also do the fallen have mortal shells, like non-fallen angels?

1 Like

@Ventura

[spoiler] Angels who have supposedly committed a Cardinal Sin do receive a trial, if God has not thrown them out as God did with Lucifer and the other angels who were part of his rebellion. The so-called trials are at best a farce. By the time the council has been called, guilt has already been presupposed. Lucifer was the first Fallen, and he was made ruler of Hell. The first wave of Fallen existed before humans, and when humans came around they were the first to create demons from the souls of corrupted humans. Fallen are members of Hell but because of their origin always retain a higher position than any demon, even an archdemon. This causes tensions between Fallen and Archdemons quite often as an archdemon can be more powerful than a Fallen–power among the Fallen differs greatly among individuals. Fallen do have their version of mortal shells but do not typically use it. Quite a few are capable of disguising their power on their own and they corrode mortal shells faster than an angel does.

And yes, essentially you could be a “good person” and get kicked out of Heaven. Heaven is not without its own prejudices and it has very strict (sometimes outdated) definitions of what is right and proper for an angel. Ramiel’s personal storyline will hopefully give this a little more context.

There are several reasons for joining Hell as a Fallen, though it does primarily boil down to protection and power. Fallen are automatically considered to be part of Hell even though they may not even hold an official position within Hell. You will meet one such Fallen who resides solely on earth. Every Fallen since Lucifer has literally fallen into Hell, and they are kept there for a several century orientation–essentially given a rundown on their new lot in life. Some Fallen, like Lucifer, do not see it as ‘corrupting mortals’ but as punishing the wicked. Some simply hate humans and have no where else to go. Angels are supposed to be hostile to Fallen, but most will not attack on sight alone; they wait to catch the Fallen trying to corrupt a mortal or otherwise interfere with humans. The reasons behind this are two-fold: many feel a superiority to Fallen and do not outright attack out of pity, and Fallen tend to be fairly powerful and one of the few creatures capable of truly killing an angel.

Nephilim are a danger for several reasons. They are considered unnatural as they possess a fragment of Grace but are bound to mortal bodies. All Nephilim are fraternal twins, one male and one female. Almost all Nephilim are born of a mortal mother, and it is almost certain death to give birth to Nephilim. They require nourishment of the soul and non-magical humans are incapable of sustaining Nephilim in the womb without outside interference–typically the Nephilim kill the mother when they are born. Nephilim are mentally unstable and are capable of killing angels, even archangels. I do get into Nephilim quite a bit in the flashbacks so I don’t want to say too much here, but I will say that this is how they are viewed and processed by the angels. [/spoiler]

Let me know if you have more questions; I’m trying to give you the answers without completely spoiling some of the events/revelations of the story.

13 Likes

I will. ^^
With the amount of questions I pile on you I can imagine some of them would reach spoiler territory. Thank you for doing your best to answering my questions. :smiley:

Btw the bug I mentioned earlier in the thread, is either still there or some strain of it.
It triggers when choosing the staff as angel blade and the declining and going back to choose a new weapon. Instead of going back to 50% ruthless/merciful it jumps to 90% ruthless, which becomes your new “starting” point, for when you choose another weapon.
I haven’t checked with all the weapons, but the bug didn’t trigger when starting out with the rapier, then declining.