SoS: The Mortal Coil (WIP)

the top one was Dubbed “Harkonnen” a 30mm Anti-tank Cannon
yea the bottom one is defiantly a saw

@KuraiHeka Because Glaive is a very broad term for Many types of Pole arms including a long time ago Spears

Bottom one’s definitely M60. SAW is much shorter and has different stock.

I myself think there is already awholelot of wepons then needed xD Like a lot.

3 Likes

Valid point, it does look more like the M60
@GloriaRose Hmm yea there are a lot of weapon choices

@Drakeye My understanding was that a spear has a short blade intended for thrusting, while a Glaive has a longer blade suitable for cutting as well as thrusting. If you want me to be more specific though, my preference would something along the lines of a naginata or swordstaff.

@GloriaRose There are indeed a lot of weapon options present, more than perhaps necessary (thinking about how many variations the author will need to write for each fight scene), but currently no polearms.

The author has already addressed the prospect of spears though:

You could try to convince her to change her mind though. (Would a double-bladed swordstaff be considered a suitably more refined evolution of the basic spear design? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

2 Likes

Loved the demo more than I expected to, I can’t wait for this to come out now :slight_smile:
As for weapons I think we have everything we need though shooting a celestial gun would be neat.

1 Like

Yeah, those gifs were too good to pass up tho.

1 Like

Just gonna drop my Gabriel’s vessel. Is this a form of littering? :smile: Gonna be the appearance for both my male and female vessel runs.

17 Likes

picks up drawing

Would you mind sharing some artistic skill with me? All I can draw is stick figures. :sweat_smile:

Even just borrowing them for a sec would be cool. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love the wings. If that’s an option… I would love that in the game.

1 Like

Goodness gracious, there’s a few things to reply to. First and foremost, the left hallway branch is completed and the game has been updated. The other two branches and creation are to follow.

And I just want to say y’all are awesome, and I love that a lot of you guys know my lore enough to answer other people’s questions! And the fanart just really made my week too! :blush:
@IvoryOwl
Still kicking! It’s why I decided to push out this scene even though it’s not finished.

And ruffling Michael’s feathers is a favorite pastime of mine. He’s so much fun to write when he’s all puffed up.

@avidreader

Gabriel is the only with AROF. Typically if an angel has that on their file they are demoted and suffer ostracization, along with other consequences. Gabriel is in a unique position though because the Council never actually brought Gabriel in for a meeting and subsequently only a handful are aware of Gabriel receiving the AROF stamp.

@Eiwynn
Gabriel was the youngest of the archangels, so they’ve always been treated as the baby. As for the rest of the scene, I’m trying to finish it up as quick as possible. Two more branches and the creation and it’ll be finished. (And one of the other branches you get to meet Auriel)

@Sau_Mei_Ng
Completely missed the repetition, and spelling error, thanks for the catch! All the angels who don’t live full time on earth are a strange mix of naive and knowledgeable about humans, especially because they have a different sense of time passing so occasionally bits of the vernacular (especially sayings) elude their comprehension as they lack the correct societal understanding to interpret the phrase. (For example, Gabriel has a better understanding of 1920’s American slang than they do modern day usages).

And there are seven archangels in total in my world: Gabriel, Israfel, Raphael, Michael, Auriel, Hanael, and Sarethiel. Many bits of lore on archangels consider Israfel an alternative spelling of Raphael, but I chose to treat them as separate entities.

@GloriaRose
Sabriel was done with the whole thing even before she got to the room.

Hugs aren’t really an angel thing, at least not the way humans do. It’s really awkward with wings, especially since touching another angel’s wings is very personal (That’s not to say that Michael would object to the idea, however…) So even though they don’t have their wings manifested in the physical plane, hugging is not an action angels generally think of. (But after Gabriel hangs out with humans, who knows!)

It makes me giggle a little maniacally when I see how this scene has altered some perceptions of Michael. Especially because he’s not done being a featherbrain. I do adore my characters, but I feel like I pile abuse on Michael… and we’re only just getting started. (But I’m excited to people already ready to romance him ~!)

@DreamingGames
Yea, that’s an error. It should be fixed… I wasn’t sure about that approach with the deceptive/honest. I’ve tweaked it a bit so hopefully it flows better.

@Cherry_Summer @Helsinki
Your guys’ fanart is so great! Thanks so much for sharing it. Seeing stuff like this really motivates me. I love seeing how people picture their characters/NPCs especially compared to my head-canons.
(And yes, Michael has a braid at the start of the story)

@Jaxx

1. Metatron will be mentioned in passing/have a cameo role (he sits on the Council). Auriel actually is Uriel in my verse (I prefer this phonetic/spelling of the name). And she is a female archangel.

2. I had this as an option and then took it out, but I’m now adding it back in. (Sabriel flips a coin for you.) Would a completely random shell appeal to you or just the gender random? Because I could see a type of Gabriel go: “I don’t care. Do it for me.” It’s easy enough to do, but I wasn’t sure if people would be interested in that.

3. Angel to angel romance is possible. It’s not the same as human incest because angels are constructs, and most of them were created by God. They don’t have a biological sex, and reproduction occurs by tearing their Grace apart, so many of the reasons that incest is so taboo don’t apply. Angel to angel romance is possible, and most of the younger angels try it at least once. Some of the older ones consider it vulgar and an offense to their purpose, but most of them are fine with it. (I know avidreader and Scorpio00 both kind of answered this, but there’s a little more on my perspective)

@Harley_Robin_Evans
First of all, I would not put too much stock in what Michael says. He’s an exceptionally biased character. Furthermore, Sabriel gives Gabriel Manuel, who is a construct only visible to Gabriel who aids in the navigation of the world. (For instance, Manuel helps Gabriel with paperwork, forms, and other day-to-day life that they are not familiar with). Manuel does not aid with Daniel though, as this is outside their domain of knowledge.

Tattoos will be an option at some point, including wing tattoos.

So much discussion on weapons!
There’s 8 at the moment, and I have zero plans on changing that. I was playing around with archetypes of characters when I picked weapons, so my reasons kind of go as follows.

1. Non-lethal (staff)
  2. Traditional (greatsword)
  3. Rebellious (morningstar)
  4. Sneaky (dagger)
  5. Muhahaha berserker (battle-axe)
  6. Agile smart-ass (rapier)
  7. Cool headed tactician (sword and shield)
  8. Likes to get their hands dirty… and because I used to do martial arts… (gauntlets)

I didn’t want weapons initially available that made good ranged weapons, because Angels use their Grace for range rather than their blades. I also consider spears to be a relatively simplistic weapon so that’s one reason I chose it for the seraphs but have most higher ranked angels move beyond it. A double-bladed swordstaff would be a suitably more refined evolution, but I’m not planning to go back and add more. I wanted to create weapon specific battle tactics, so the more weapons, the longer it takes, and 8 is already pushing it especially when I consider that there will be more options in the future. (I think I failed the scope check here :sob:)

But! You will be able to learn new styles including ranged weapons and evolutions of some of the forms you have now…

18 Likes

I’m sorry but what’s AROF?

At Risk Of Falling. It’s a state where the angel is considered as being close to Falling (or being kicked out and becoming Fallen). I tried to explain it in terms of the story without making it too explanatory because Gabriel, as a character, is familiar with the term, but the reader is not.
(If you barge in the line is: “At Risk Of Falling? Where was Michael even pulling that from?” If you eavesdrop, the line is: " You hadn’t realized that you had been deemed At Risk Of Falling.")

5 Likes

… Sometimes I wonder what’s wrong with my brain because I totally read that as “At risk of FAILING”. Only now, after seeing your comment, is that I realized it meant FALLING…

5 Likes

If you fall you do fail as an angel so…

3 Likes

The new deception-honest flows much better now. I like it much more.

I personally think that eight weapons are more than enough. You already have take into account that people might choose weird combinations. Such as that one time, I tried making a healer who ran around with the battle-axe. Just because.

2 Likes

Because I’ve just finished binging on Persona 4 again… Will Sandalphon show up? According to some sources (not just Persona, I did look him up before asking.) he’s the twin brother of Metatron. Just idle curiosity on my part really.

1 Like

I wonder who are the Dean and Sam Winchester of this story :grinning:

3 Likes

All I can think of when you mention Metatron is Transformers… big mecha-like beings form another universe.

1 Like

Well given that Metatron and Sandalphon look like robotic angels in Persona 4, who knows…