SoS: The Mortal Coil (WIP)

@Ventura
Okay, I’m going to tackle these in order.

1. Falling. Every angel that Falls has a slightly different story, but it boils down to rebelling against God and committing Cardinal Sins (for angels at least). Nearly every single Fallen has been cast out–very few angels voluntarily leave Heaven. (Only three or four ever have–though some say the fourth was technically kicked out first). Part of this has to do with the idea that Heaven is all angels know. It is their family, their home, their society. It gives them purpose and direction and they are taught that Heaven is paradise and nothing would ever be reason to give that up. The fact that Falling is a one-way trip also discourages angels from upsetting the status quo. Lucifer was kicked out by God, as were most of the first Fallen. Any angel who had nephilim became Fallen. As to how this works when “God” is dead… the Watchers have the ability to call a council with the archangels. Based on evidence they may decide an angel is guilty of committing a Cardinal Sin–one of which is rebellion against God–and they may use the power of Heaven (this is the power the God wields and will permit some angels to use a portion of when needed to do God’s will) to cast out the angel in question–they sentence them to falling. Also, at the beginning of the story, Gabriel is not aware that “God is dead”…and in fact, may not be right about that even now. Gabriel just knows that they haven’t heard from God in a while–more of this will be revealed as the story goes and even in the next update. Fallen all have pitch black wings–it is a mark of their status and they cannot change the color. Fallen have a corrupted form of Grace, which they jokingly refer to as Hamartia. Their power still stems in a form from God (in that he does not make them powerless) but its strength comes from the power of the souls in Hell. This is why demons try to corrupt pure souls–they gain greater power from a corrupted pure soul than a repeated sinner. Suffering and pain feeds their power. Certain Fallen and powerful demons have adapted to receive power in other forms than misery.

2. Alright, so angels are not supposed to fight in their mortal shells. That’s more or less a no-no. The angels chasing the demons towards the end of the demo have assumed human features by modifying their souls to appear human, but they are not in mortal shells. What an angel should do if they need to battle is leave their mortal shell (it essentially goes into ‘sleep’ mode) and fight without it. If they have to, they can use moderate amounts of Grace while in the mortal shell. Typically this means they can summon their wings from a higher plane of existence (they appear as very bright lights to most humans in this case), cast minor holy flames/healing/Grace spells, and summon their Angel Blade for brief periods. Mortal shells are typically used to conceal an angel’s presence so it partially blocks an angel’s connection to their Grace to help conceal their aura. Most angels have a very similar humanesque forms when not possessing a mortal shell. They typically have gold hair, white wings, black eyes, light skin. This is because Holy Light is typically very bright gold or white and an angel’s aura is typically gold-white so the forms they assume reflect that light.

3. Mortals can be touched by Grace, i.e. healing, but Grace can also be used to burn mortals. Most humans can handle an angel’s true form if they are trying to appear human, but it is also dependent on the angel’s power. The more powerful an angel/the more Grace they are using the more dangerous it is for humans to look at them. They can literally burn out their cornea or go insane (they see visions in the light because angels exist in multiple planes while humans typically only access the material plane of Earth). Humans can be trained to ward themselves and magical humans/supernaturals have some natural resistance.

4. I’ll finish off with some descriptions of some of the male RO’s. The mc will get to voice their sexuality, but this can be complicated so it will predominantly be along the lines of: do you prefer male, female, both, not really sexually attracted to anyone or it entirely depends. And the perspective of love is somewhat controversial. Nephilim are a serious threat so becoming intimate with humans is typically regarded as sinful. However, a. if they are in a mortal shell they have more leeway and b. if no nephilim are produced then it’s more of a ‘no foul, no harm’ attitude. Angels are able to create angelic offspring by taking some of their Grace and combining it with another angel’s Grace. This weakens both angels involved (or all…) so it is not usually done. Love itself is considered a virtue and encouraged, but most angels have a very pure idea about what love is compared to how humanity regards it. This will be something commented upon by others, like Israfel, if the mc chooses to pursue a relationship.

A few of the male RO: Iain, Ryder, Aelius, Ramiel, Charleston, Tom and Leo. (I’m giving up one more name here because I’ve already talked about Ryder).

Iain is the other option for your partner on the police force. He’s from an Irish Catholic family though he finds himself unable to commit to the same level of faith as his stringent mother. He likes to play the white knight and is always willing to help when asked. He’s very good with his niece and nephew, adores kids, but tends to be clueless when it comes to picking up on hints in relationships. He says drinking is as necessary as water to an Irish-man (even though he wasn’t born in Ireland). He laughs a lot, even when its not appropriate and sometimes speaks before thinking. His work is his passion and sometimes he neglects to take care of himself subsequently. Red hair, green eyes, 6’ 4", and skin that loves to burn in sunlight.

Aelius works ‘with’ Iro. He’s the incubus to her succubus. Really it’s a competition to see who can gain the most contracts and acquire the most power but he tends to be less ruthless than Iro. He still remembers being mortal and tends to include loopholes in his contracts that the clever can get out of–though sometimes these ‘loopholes’ require a greater sacrifice than the original contract. Has a morbid sense of humor and lacks a sense of decency. He is also possessive of whatever he views as his and sees lying as the key to any good relationship. He enjoys causing verbal disagreements and breaking up ‘happy-couples’ when time permits. Most of the time he wears a smile but can become maudlin.

Ramiel is a Fallen who has many regrets about his past. He is excellent at putting on masks and getting his job done but takes no pleasure in working for Hell. It’s a necessary evil to him. He’s leery of getting close to Gabriel given their past. More than this I can’t say without major spoilers.

Charleston is another cop at the precinct and a gay werewolf. His sexual orientation has previously made him an outsider in his pack, and even though he is the second of his new pack he tends to isolate himself. (Many shifter packs have difficulty with members who do not reproduce. In Charleston’s case, wolves are very family oriented and many find the idea that he may never have a biological pup ‘unnatural’.) He is laid-back and easygoing at work, quick with a smile. He quite astute and reads people well, but comes across as a pushover to most cops. In the pack he is second because of his martial skills (he’s a Beta second while a second appointed for their ability to deal with emotions and politics is usually an Omega second). At home he tends to be withdrawn and cold, quicker to snarl than help.

Tom Garrow is the leader of the local werewolf pack and recently widowed. Newly a single-father, he struggles between balancing his daughter and his pack. Well-traveled and educated, he tends to have lofty ideas that sometimes need a dose of practicality. He is not a fan of his wolf nature and tends to try to cover any of his ‘innate savagery’ with an excess of culture. He runs an upscale bar for his ‘day’ job and is a shrewd business man. He deliberately appointed Charleston in spite of the majority of the pack’s feelings, informing them that he was selecting the best person for the job, feelings be damned. He actually cares for Charleston as a close friend but often finds himself unable to help with issues without making them worse. Respected for his leadership because he puts the safety of the pack first, he can struggle with relationships outside of the pack. He does want to create a more international and cooperative pack that has other supernatural allies but has yet to persuade the pack to his point of view. He has dark brown hair that’s starting to silver, stands at a lean 6’ 5" with brown eyes that take on a gold hue when he isn’t careful.

Leo is the werepanther Alpha. Young for an Alpha, he succeeded by killing the previous Alpha as is custom with werepanthers. He is attempting to change the way the pride behaves but meets strong resistance. A bit of an idealist he is often frustrated by what he calls outdated moralities but lacking little in the way of different life experiences tends to fall back on his animal nature when challenged. He has a reputation in the precinct for being a troublemaker and his sense of justice tends to run towards an-eye-for-an-eye. Dark-skinned, he wears his long black hair in a braid. He has a set of angel wings tattooed on the back of his neck and often appeals to higher powers for guidance, especially when trying to remain calm.

And while it may seem certain races/factions get more RO than others, I will say three things: A, these are major factions and B. I have hardly listed all the RO and C. depending on how you play your MC the primary interaction with certain characters may be attempting to kill them.

Secondly, yes, currently both shifter packs I have introduced are led by males. This does not have to stay that way, and I have my reasons for the way they are now. There are plenty of shifters/supernatural groups with female leaders. It just so happens that the werepanthers and werewolves have male Alphas at the moment.

@NotGoingToGiveUp
I’m assuming you are talking about the selection of female RO.
To that I say: I never said these were all the female RO’s, did I? :wink:

There may be some gods/goddesses and some other powerful and dark female RO

43 Likes