SoS: The Mortal Coil (WIP)

That’s the best I can think of at this time.

1 Like

Suave: Roses? (20 char)

2 Likes

Hmmm…

Merciful: A Field of Lilacs

Ruthless: Burning Pine Wood

Suave: Roses(??)

Intimidation: The Smell of Hot Steel

Subtle: Fennel (This one might use some explanation- I grew up with a lot of fennel in my area. It smells like black licorice- but only after you rub it around in your hands, normally, though, it smells like nothing. Hence it makes me think of subtlety.)

Blunt: ??? Not sure on this one.

Emotional: The Salty Sea Shore

Stoic/Candid: Vanilla (I think of Vanilla for both of these so… I guess it could work for either?)

Deceptive: Almonds (like how cyanide supposedly tastes/smells like almonds)

Strategize: For some reason I think of Blueberries but that might just be my mind playing off of Strawberries. Either that or Morning Dew.

That’s all my ideas. Hope at least some of them help out some!

4 Likes
  1. Merciful: Lilacs
  2. Rutheless: Smoke from a Fire?
  3. Intimidation: Fresh spices
  4. Subtle: Cherry Blossoms
  5. Blunt: Fresh Leather

I tried lol

3 Likes

Stoic: the faintest Whiff of iron

1 Like

I will give it a go :smiley:

Merciful: Vanilla
Ruthless: Irony smell maybe a bit ashy
Intimidation: Dark coffe
Subtle: Mandarin/Clementin smell
Blunt: Apple cider smell
Candid: lilac flow smell
Deceptive: Roses with a hint of lemon

2 Likes

Merciful: Honeysuckle. My old house had honeysuckle bushes planted outside, and the way they smelled when they bloomed was always very soothing to me.

Ruthless: Metal. Hot or warm metal. It’s a very sharp and tangy scent.

Intimidation: Sulfur. Less so rotten eggs, more like a struck match, with the burning wood smell mixed in.

Blunt: Petrichor. The way things smell outside after a good rain. An earthy scent just seems like it’d match a straightforward character.

Stoic: Winter air. When you’re outside on a winter night and you breath in through your nose, the air just smells cold and clean. It puts me in the mind of “quiet” and makes it hard not to think stoic.

7 Likes

Hopefully I don’t trip over myself cause I decided to join in on the fun of thinking of Gabrielic scents. Here we go!

1. Merciful: Frankincense, myrrh, and lit candles.
  2. Ruthless: The tang of blood on iron.
  3. Suave: Aftershave or cologne. Possibly cigarette smoke mixed in?
  4. Intimidation: An imminent thunderstorm on the horizon.
  5. Subtle: A cool breeze over the hill at night.
  6. Blunt: Sun-warmed bricks, heated concrete, or chalk dust from an eraser.
  7. Emotional: Emotional feels like it would carry several scents within it. It seems like they would distinctly conflict or clash with one another. I have no idea how to begin describing that, outside of the second sentence because it’s the only thing protruding from the forefront of my mind.
  8. Stoic: The scent of a cold front or a snowstorm. The burn of the cold in the air.
  9. Candid: When rain first strikes the earth after a long while.
  10. Deceptive: Some fresh-cut fish (something smells fishy around here… :wink:)
  11. Improvise: Wild Strawberry
  12. Strategize: Mint. Spearmint, not peppermint. Pine needles when crushed between your fingers. Something astringent and sharp that clears the mind.

That’s all I can think of at the moment. It was fun to apply scents to emotions. I’d like to also mention that I love the progress on this WIP! There are several I’ve been following over time, including this one, but this is definitely one of interesting ones I look forward to and get excited about. The newest update left me pleasantly surprised with a craving for what could happen next for Gabriel. Anyway, thank you for taking the time to ask for our thoughts! :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

I like this as mercy leads me to compassion and peace. The olive branch being a symbol of peace and the olive is close kin to lilac.

Ruthless: Bone Char and Ash since Raffi has claimed blood.

Suave: Dark Chocolate.

Intimidation: Gunpowder or Nitroglycerin with just a hint of advancing Flame.

Subtle: Vanilla Bean Tea for Subtle-tea.

Blunt: CannabisRust.

Emotional: Ozone (electrical discharge amidst a lightning storm)

Candid: Playdough. Nothing more open and sincere than a child.

Improvise is now actually Wild Strawberry? :kissing_heart: :strawberry:

Strategize: Cedar and Graphite Shavings from a thousand and one sharpened pencils. Or Beeswax.

6 Likes

I tried keeping it short because I fear I’ll go on full on essay mode for this :))

Merciful: something soothing like mint, lavender, sage, etc

Ruthless: harsh and metallic (iron or copper perhaps)

Suave: coffee most definitely (mostly because I associate the taste/smell with smooth jazz and night caps)

Intimidation: very clinical and isolating sorts of scents (imagine going to a white room with no sound kind of smell)

Subtle: something very ordinary yet home-y(?) smells that are very nostalgic like fresh laundry, home cooked meals, etc

Blunt: very citrus-y flavours like lemon (the kind with a little bite)

Emotional: something very overpowering and distinct like roses with salt

Stoic: petrichor (first rainfall especially) with other green scents like grass and pine

Candid: distinct sweet scents like vanilla or shea

Deceptive: smoke (vaguely tobacco-y) and spice (literal smoke and mirrors)

Strategize: parchment, ink, generally old book smells with maybe ash or the smell of fire in the underbelly of it

1 Like

Man, I don’t know why but Blunt should be either Pines or Ashes.

I think blunt should be pepper.

Yes, please to all of the above :sparkles:!

Ruthless: The smell of gasoline with notes of something headier in it. I do love ash, as well. Maybe gunsmoke? It’s sharp, pungent, leaves a metallic flavor on the roof of your mouth, and when present in sufficient quantities it will irritate your eyes, and deaden your smell sensitivity for other things for a long time. However, types of ammunition sometimes have different smells. I like the corrosive nature of gunsmoke, though.

Suave: Leather. A tender saffron echo? I love, love, love cedar and jasmine, there’s something tres exclusif abt it. Smth that says ‘you should know me’ or ‘you’ll remember my name, but I might not remember yours’. My suave Gabriel has her snakeskin Bvlgari bag and embroidered leather all ready to go, LMFAO. Nothing says ‘stay on the down low’ like Bvlgari.

Subtle: Vanilla bean espresso. Or like, coffee in general. A nice slow roast. Black tea?

Blunt: I’ve always thought citrus-y scents were very in your face. A mandarin orange, then? Ginger is particularly sharp, too.

Emotional: Brown sugar, or nutmeg. Nutmeg is spicy, and distinctly warm. Brown sugar has often struck me as little cinnamon-y. I like cinnamon for this, too!

Candid: Coconuts, or coconut oil. It’s very easily identifiable, and doesn’t really pull any punches. Vetiver, maybe? It’s like lemon grass, because you can’t mistake it, but infinitely more interesting though: astringent, earthy like newly tilled soil, and balsam-woody.

Deceptive: Ooo, I’ve always thought of antiseptic as being comfortingly deceptive. Maybe something lemon-y? I like ozone for this, because it’s the smell before a strike. Before? During? IDK.

Strategize: I have nothing to contribute, here. Beeswax and graphite are what I gravitated towards, too. Something sharp, that clears the mind might be fitting as well. I like tea tree oil.

2 Likes

Merciful: Lavender
Ruthless: Copper
Suave: Cinnamon Buns!
Intimidation: Chili powder, or something that burns the nose when you take a whiff of it.
Subtle: Hot sand
Blunt: Ozone and freshly cut grass; refreshing yet bitter
Emotional: Artificial Strawberry or Orange candy
Stoic: Forest at Dawn in the Autumn
Candid: New book smell!
Deceptive: Sweet n’ Salty
Improvise: Wild Strawberry
Strategize: Fabric Softener

Merciful: Maybe something that smells sweet that comes off as inviting and/or comforting to others, like freshly baked chocolate chip cookies or some other sweet smelling baked good (though the sweet smell itself should not come off as overwhelming; just softly coaxing and inviting).

Ruthless: A sharp smell that causes most people to instinctively step back and even become more tense than relaxed. Maybe something that’s not natural smelling like chemicals?

Suave: Something smooth and soothing; inviting, but in a way that causes someone to let there guard down without knowing it or even knowing why it was happening. Maybe a flower type of smell to show that it is a oddly familiar smell to others in some way, but not one that people can always pinpoint as to what it is?

Intimidation: An overpowering scent; something that smells strongly and also feels like a overwhelming smell that doesn’t make anyone feels at ease. Maybe burning fire?

Subtle: Something light smelling maybe, like vanilla or some type of other herb/spice? Can’t really explain why this seems like a good idea; it just feels like right in a way for someone of Subtle have a not so noticeable smell that people won’t catch onto right away or to have the slight smell of some type of spice.

Blunt: An earthy type of smell; a natural scent that no one can really mistake. Maybe the smell of a grassy plains or wet earth?

Emotional: A strong smell, but one that simply feels really distinctive rather than overbearing. Maybe the smell of of the sea?

Stoic: Maybe a mint-like smell? Mint tends to smell cooling but is also a bit strong. Sounds like a possible good smell for Stoic.

Candid: Maybe a fruity smell of some type? Like a Blunt trait, Candid tends to be something that is really simple to identify in a person. So maybe the smell of a particular fruit would be good indication of that (like maybe strawberries, grapes, apples, or just a mixed berry scent itself)

Deceptive: Hard one; I keep thinking some type of scent that comes off inviting too, but not in a good way (like it smells nice, but something tells you that it’s a REALLY bad idea to get too close without having some wariness). Maybe a rose? They smell nice, but that also have thorns, which people often times forget because of the nice smell (and there are a good deal of stories that have roses causing some type of trouble in one way or another).

Improvise: Cinnamon. I’m not sure why; just seems appropriate to have it for Improvise. Or maybe some other type of smell that jolts the brain in some way.

Strategize: Still thinking mint for this if it doesn’t seem to work out for Stoic; I’ve had some teachers who would put something mint smelling up because it was supposed to wake up our brains and make us more aware of things (which seemed to work pretty often).

I guess the end idea is to possibly make certain smells somewhat inviting to people while others smells come off more as a warning that makes others a little hesitant of approaching closer (just my opinion naturally). :thinking:

5 Likes

For ruthless, what about the coppery smell of blood? It’s natural, yeah, but also something recognizable and easily identifiable on an instinctive level. It’d give off the impression of being like a predator, if you know what I mean.

Also, and this is just my opinion, the smell of burning fire is one of my favourites, and can’t really see it as intimidating, but more representative of the warmth of my home; it’d actually go pretty well with Candid, I think.

3 Likes

Merciful: Lavender, I’ve always been fond of that scent since it’s nice and soft
Ruthless: Burning charcoal, the heat seems fitting.
Suave: Frezh cut roses or chocolate, classics.
Intimidation: Hot iron, not sure why.
Subtle: Fresh linen, it’s a simple pleasing scent.
Blunt: Not really sure, maybe wood shavings?
Emotional: The ocean, it’s wild unpredictable and unrestrained.
Stoic: Freezing winter wind, seems fitting.
Candid: Peaches, an obvious sweet scent.
Deceptive: Candle smoke, all i could think of.
Strategize: fresh paper or spearmint, thwy remind me of Hermione and she’s pretty strategic.

2 Likes

Ruthless: The smell of blood on a battlefield
Suave: Honey, so sweet it’s almost cloying
Intimidation: the smell you get on a very humid day so thick you can almost feel it
Subtle: a faint whiff of something, it changes depending on who is smelling it.
Blunt: Burning wood or charcoal, an unpleasant but honest smell. (I think I love this one best, it would let my Gabriel express her anger at what happened to Lucifer and Ramiel)

2 Likes

I’ll have to figure out the scents for my main Gabriel!

Merciful: Something comforting, like lavender or chamomile
Ruthless: Steel, smoke or blood
Suave: Fine wine ;3
Intimidation: Smoke, a raging fire, or musk
Subtle: Coffee or tea?
Blunt: Clove, pepper or cinnamon
Emotional: The ocean
Stoic: Dragon’s Blood
Candid: Lemongrass or spearmint

2 Likes