SoS: The Mortal Coil (WIP)

@Zassuen
I didn’t think of that! Definitely have to find a place to squeeze it in somewhere… hmmm…

So a few thoughts/questions concerning the next few scenes/a few revisions.

A. Concerning character gender: I’d like to add an option for gender fluid for the PC. Now, saying that, the way I’m positing treating that would be under a toggle that appears under stats to flip the way the gender of the PC is seen/treated on a certain day. Does that seem like a viable approach for treating a gender fluid character?SoS: The Mortal Coil (WIP) - #339 by Zassuen

B. The binary selection of the player character’s mortal shell. From my standpoint, the shell is really not representative of who Gabriel actually is (it’s a fancy disguise, kind of like the puppet in @malinryden’s Fallen Hero) but as you know from the prologue, eventually Gabriel gets forcibly merged with the shell. This would then seem to force the player into a binary representation, but to a certain degree, they will be able to manipulate their shell as it is a magical construct after all, so this isn’t supposed to be limiting for the entire game. However, for the first part of the game the player will initially be perceived as a binary representation due to their shell. As relationships develop they will be able to reveal themselves/explain who they are beyond the initial binary gender appearance. In the scene I’m currently bashing my head against Sabriel explains why the shell is only binary–because it’s a disguise–and will also express her genuine sympathy if the PC is non-binary for being forced into a binary shell. Does this still feel like too much of a railroad and/or a deterrence to play? To be blunt, is there anyone going “no way am I playing this game because of this?” or “it still depends on how this is handled?”

C. Non-diegetic vs diegetic stats raising. Personally, I like Samurai of Hyuga’s style of telling stat increases via attunement. I hate having to flip to the stats screen to check to see if an action has raised a certain stat. I’ve played around with a few styles in this next scene, but can’t decide on one so I’ve decided to ask all you lovely folks.

• Only show stat changes in the stat screen.
  • Show stat changes with a choice (non-diegetic, explicitly stated).
  • Show stat changes after a choice is made (non-diegetic, explicitly stated).
  • Have the option to show stat changes with a choice (toggle in stat menu).
  • Have the option to show stat changes after a choice (toggle in stat menu).
  • Have the stat increase/decrease diegetically communicated (a little more than it is now, revealed by the PC/other characters)

0 voters

Thanks everyone for the feedback! (And please ask if my explanation of poll choices don’t make sense–I’d be happy to clarify) I’m hoping to get the next update up soon, but getting some feedback on these questions will help break the walls I’m butting up against. :sweat:

5 Likes