SoS: The Mortal Coil (WIP)

Yeah… I’m looking forward to seeing the fallout!

I really liked the depth of customization the demo allows. Can’t wait to see what other supernatural beings pop up!

If an angel had a child with a human woman it’s called a nephilim. In Ram’s case, what would a fae x angel hybrid be called? :thinking:

3 Likes

They’d still be called a nephilim.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying! :grinning:

1 Like

Really? I thought there would be a different name.

1 Like

After our nestmate’s mistake, the higher ups decided angel x anything else would be considered nephilim as well.

Or so I remember the author “saying”.

Also, being a nephilim seems like it really sucks. If the angels don’t kill them for simply being born, their own powers drive them insane, if I remember properly.

4 Likes

Yeah. Being a nephilim doesn’t sound too good in game!

2 Likes

And here I entertained the idea of creating a brood of nephilim to be my anti-heaven Gabriel’s OP army. But if they just go insane after a while, they might not be worth the risk.

Don’t know if this was addressed before, but have the Grigori who make nephilim with human women (Baraqel, Azazel, Arakiel, etc.) been mentioned before? It would be interesting if we get to interact with some of them in the future (allies, enemies, ROs(?)) or maybe fight with a few of their longer-lived children. But that’s just my curiousity at work :sweat_smile:. I have to say, the lore and world-building are amazing. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The lore of this game is fascinating!

Mostly just a quick status update for all you lovely people.

I’m out of hurricane land (I was fine, thank you all for the concern!). I am busy with the release of another game currently that has to take priority until it is out (within the week, or someone’s going to lose their shreds of sanity…). After that, I will be bouncing between job searching and doing some design evaluations, but I plan to have the next update ready for the end of this month. Also, there’s a sort of Halloween (in that it was supposed to be a little darker and more ominous) extra up on this game’s tumblr that gives you some insight into Lucifer and Daniel’s mother.

@Eli_Knight
Well, Ramiel Falls, but I will say things are often not quite what they appear to be, especially depending on the choices your Gabriel makes.
Spoiler re the next update: Your Gabriel can decide to try and have some children of their own as well with one of the fae…

@Dankman
The main supernaturals in this particular game are witches, warlocks, various classes of demons and devils, the horsemen of the apocalypse, werewolves, and werepanthers. While there are many other supernatural beings, only cameos of others will appear (Deva, wendigo, merpeople, kitsune, dragon).

And @Scorpio00 is 100% correct on this one. Hybrids are a rare occurrence, and especially hybrids of anything that’s not human-angel, so they were essentially too lazy to bother with unique names. They all just get lumped in under nephilim and classified as dangerous.

Also, in regards to the whole sanity of nephilim (SPOILERS): Not ALL nephilim go crazy. Most of them do, enough that rather than risk it, the standing order is to kill them all. At the time of the flashback, not enough evidence has been collected to make that determination, so they allow Ramiel’s children to be born under the condition that Gabriel is in charge of them, to see if they can be trained or at least be stable.

None of those specific Fallen will be encountered in this game, but they are around in terms of world-building. Grigori/Watcher is a classification/job for angels: The order of angels that oversees the functioning of the others. Technically below archangels in rank, they do not answer to them however. They used to be those who were assigned to earth, but given what happened to most of the early members, they changed what their duties and responsibilities were.

31 Likes

23130991_1502082526549139_8034992800008827669_n

hmm darker and ominous… dark enough that you can’t even see 'em with flashlight on…? hmm…

1 Like

Talk about a bombshell drop…wow you just floored me with that lil spoiler and have me eagerly awaiting you next update now…Arrrrgg…talk about a nice plot twist with so many possibilities.

1 Like

@Dae-kalina thanks for the nephilim info! And the mind boggling spoilers…

I apologize if this has been said before, but are the werewolves’ strength and transformation tied to the phases of the moon? And can they shift partially, i.e. just their hands or their legs, whenever they want to?

@Dae-kalina

And were Ramiel’s children stable?

Good to hear you’re doing okay! Am very excited for the update and gosh, really am looking forward to seeing Ramiel’s judgement

Other than that I really can’t wait to possibly tell Ramiel that the MC has been in love with him all this time and let drama ensue :))

5 Likes

Hurricane land bad juju, good to hear you and yours are safe.
May I ask what this other game your busy with is? My interest became s peak and I started searching around like a Devil dog catching wind of a new soul to steal away.

It seems the gam has expanded much further than I remember and I love it.

Edit: just remembered my phrasing of Devil dog
I meant Hell hound (I forgot the reference Devil dog had)

3 Likes

Looking forward to meeting Lucifer again!

1 Like

Lol i was thinking didn’t know marines were known for stealing souls.

4 Likes

Being more ruthless than merciful seems appropriate for threatening to kill someone. It seems like threatening Michael to keep him away from the child and the MC could also fit well as an emotional response in general.

EDIT: My memory of the chronology for choices concerning Israfel was incorrect.

I love the Halloween extra.

“I don’t condone the killing of children, especially mere babes,” Lucifer said coldly, rising to his feet.

She might have been mistaken, but she could swear she saw sorrow on his handsome features for a moment before it was replace by a sneer that had the hairs on the back of her neck standing straight up.

She had added insult to injury, giving him that look, like he might just be redeemable. But that would undermine his story, his purpose for existing. Better she fear him.
He rolled around her words in his mind, irritated by her last ones. His grandson. Hardly. That creature was not his, not truly. Perhaps it came into existence because of him, but it was not his child.
No, he had only one of those, and he had lost them. “Poor imitations…” he said aloud, before turning and striding down the aisle as the roof caved in behind him.

I hope we get the option to redeem Lucifer and set him upon the throne. He seems to care more about protecting children than the rulers of Heaven do in this game.

He is also the only authority figure to have treated the MC as anything more than a disposable pawn for use in power struggles from whom only blind obedience is expected.

I also hope the MC gets the chance to voluntarily leave Heaven.

Archangels that had spent enough time outside of Heaven would be able to draw their own conclusions about whether or not it is a paradise.

I noticed a few typos in the Halloween extra.

The woman thought of spitting at his feet, and then reconsidered. “I used to come here with mis padres when I was young,” she finally acquiesced, one had unconsciously rubbing her belly. “I thought… I forgot what he had done.”

That should be hand.

After a beat the air settled, and she drew a shaky breath, sweaty hands reflexively moving down the beads of the rosary. “He was an idle experiment at best, and when he became to reckless and stupid with his cruelties, I dealt with him. I assure, his torment is only just beginning,” Lucifer continued neutrally, the shadows coming back to heel at his feet.

That should be too.

“Like you said, I’m the devil.” She might have been mistaken, but she could swear she saw sorrow on his handsome features for a moment before it was replace by a sneer that had the hairs on the back of her neck standing straight up. “So run girl. Run and live your pathetic mortal life, and hope that all your faith is enough to send you to Heaven, or you will not enjoy our next meeting.”

That should be replaced.

I also found some typos in the demo and I do not know if they have been mentioned before.

“Do not worry about it. I am just glad I was in time. I cannot imagine that being that creature’s meal could have been pleasant.” You shudder, having to agree; the idea of those rows and rows of serrated teeth closing around you make you tremble on the platform. Lucifer notices, and pats your shoulder reassuringly. “Come, tell me about yourself little one,” he says, and you blink.
“I, um… I am a warrior?” you venture, not sure what he wants you to say. He sighs and shakes his head.
“I can see that for myself,” he states with an air of forced calm. You cringe. Lucifer does not miss the cringe and lets out a frustrated groan.
You tilt your head to the side, not sure that you have ever seen or heard an archangel being so… normal. Lucifer catches your bemused look and pull a face, before breaking into a chuckle.
“I take it I am not precisely what you expected, hmm?” he asks, amusement twinkling in his eyes, his early moodiness gone. Casually he waves a platform into existence and alights on it,beckoning for you to join him. You do so, landing with far less grace as you barely stay upright on your exhausted legs. Everything aches.

I think this is a slight continuity error since it would be hard to land on a platform that had not been created yet.

You tilt your head to the side, not sure that you have ever seen or heard an archangel being so… normal. Lucifer catches your bemused look and pull a face, before breaking into a chuckle.

I think that should be pulls.

“We should probably get going,” Israfel states, glancing out towards the hallway. “You are supposed to be in the lab soon.” He sounds vaguely embarrassed about having forgotten than you are on a schedule of sorts as you follow him into the corridor.

It should be that.

“If you two are done with team archangel huddle power, we should get Gabriel in her vessel so she has some time to adjust to their body. Trust me, it’s not anything like taking on a human form using Grace.” Sabriel was standing in the partially open doorway, looking somewhat uncomfortable with having intruded on you and Israfel.

This could be several things: her to match the MC’s angelic gender, her to match the MC’s human gender, or the to avoid such issues but their does not fit when the MC has chosen female angelic gender, female human gender, and female identification for the GAO paperwork.

2 Likes

Better the Devil you know than someone more unpredictable ruling Hell

10 Likes