SoS: The Mortal Coil (WIP)

Select these two options.

IMG_20181231_193635_868

IMG_20181231_193646_720

3 Likes

The chieftess is something else :smiley:

@bobsmyuncle
Thatā€™s a perfect summary of Sabrielā€™s reaction!

In theory, you could. However it would take far more energy than using normal human methods and as @squarelyblue brought up the shell is a power suppressor. While you can technically access your power, the human shell is not made to handle Grace and using it:

1. Voids the purpose of having the shell which is to avoid detection.
  2. Could damage you or the shell in ways that havenā€™t been explored at length. Thought as the prologue shows, using a large amount of Grace in your shell causes you to permanently fuse with it.

@joe_g7
Glad youā€™re enjoying the story so far! Itā€™s a slow, long ride, but still moving along!

Pissing Sabriel off isnā€™t a grand idea any day of the week, thatā€™s for sure. Thereā€™s a reason her Angel Blade is a pair of hand-axes.
(And I love that call-back to Sabrielā€™s Grace scent! Iā€™m always thrilled when people recall details about my characters :heart:)

1. Gabriel has been to earth before but angels donā€™t require food and the majority of their missions did not involve sticking around long enough that they would cook food.
  2. An archangel cooking food for a human? Thatā€™s not something considered part of their duties and while you are free to hc that theyā€™ve dabbled, as far as canon is concerned Gabrielā€™s cooking experience is summed up by

They did not, in canon, cook for Da Vinci which as the lovely @stsword pointed out was the last time they were on earth. They could have picked up some idea of how to make food, but theyā€™ve never done it extensively.

Iā€™ve known people who will burn the rice, reduce the vegetables to something unrecognizable and so overcooked it has little nutrients left in it, microwave in things that shouldnā€™t be microwaved (or, say, put a metal utensil in it), leave the oven on too longā€¦ Some people are not meant for making food. At all. And for the sake of comedy and allowing me to use that as a team-building exercise (aka where you can increase relationship points with characters) it is going to stay that way.

@kckolbe

Part of the filters is a very helpful recommendation from @RETowers about how to make sure that the content is keeping in mind the different audiences and the publishing requirements. It might be over-kill, but Iā€™d rather go overboard on them and not need them then not have them when the time comes for publishing.

1. This is a very good point and I know Iā€™ve asked about that before. I will likely redo it before the official beta, but at this current point Iā€™d prefer to focus on adding new content rather than revising old content. The point of it is to allow me a chance to start playing around with character stats and approaches more but I definitely think I could make the choices more diegetic. Iā€™m currently tossing around the idea of combining options to give more choices at each juncture, as I donā€™t particularly want to remove much of the dialogue if avoidable.
  2. I will definitely try to break that up! Having huge walls of text is definitely something I know I need to work on, and I really appreciate you bringing it to my attention!
  3. Understandable, though at this point Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ll do much about it. Iā€™ve got a couple ideas, but Iā€™m not sure if I want to slow the already somewhat glacial pace to give more opportunity to know Ramiel prior to forming an initial opinionā€¦ It might just be one of those allowances like deciding how your character feels about a sibling/childhood friend in the first few minutes of a game. Would changing the phrasing help at all, or is it strictly a ā€˜Iā€™ve known this guy for five minutes and now I have to decide if I canā€™t stand him or am half-in-love with himā€™ issue?

@Jule
Iā€™m afraid your humor was not something that translated well at all, though I am pleased you are enjoying the game so far! I want to take a second to clarify that Daniel is NOT the anti-christ. Also, I might recommend checking out this thread for some helpful reminders about how feedback and comments can be perceived across the internet.. Hope you continue to enjoy the game.

Detail may be a bit of a misnomer here; there is a difference in descriptions, but not as great as it could be. Explicit shorts are strictly the realm of tumblr to try and ensure that come the publishing process major changes to the game itself wonā€™t have to be made. Glad to see Laniwynn is appealing to you; she is a very interesting character to write.

10 Likes

I think it was partially that Iā€™d just finished the huge interview with Sabriel and was ā€œapprovedā€ to be Danielā€™s guardian, so I was expecting to face decisions about that. Instead, Iā€™m being introduced to a new character, so right off the bat Iā€™m a bit confused. Then, with this character I know nothing about, in a situation I donā€™t really understand, I have to say how I feel about it. Itā€™s just that I donā€™t feel I have any clue how I feel about anything in that moment.

1 Like

I think my current solution may be to add a few more lines of his to the prologueā€“heā€™s not actually a new character in that scene, as heā€™s introduced with Michael and Israfel, but the other two get more screen time following the prologue. Hopefully thatā€™ll help!

8 Likes

:eyes: I think this got twenty times more complicated with that reveal. Oh wow. Okay. More theories on the board now especially for Daniel

1 Like

@Dae-kalina thanks for sharing the info on cooking with Grace.

1 Like

The first time I read through the game, I actually didnā€™t realize it was the same character you were playing in the Ramiel scene. It was such an abrupt switch I thought you were showing a different characterā€™s point of view at first. Maybe something indicating itā€™s a flashback would help. Though I might have just missed it.

@squarelyblue Of all the things to complicate events, this is not one of the ā€˜revealsā€™ I pictured doing soā€¦

@lokidemon007
Glad you enjoyed it!

@Smeet
Technically thereā€™s this bit

Interlude One: Fae Trouble

ā€œFaye are wily creatures, never to be trusted. Their society lacks the entire concept of friendship; if you are of use, you may be an ally. If you are not, at best you are beneath their notice, a state one should devoutly wish to occupy. At worst, they will rend the flesh from your skin and dance on your charred bones.ā€

ā€”Excerpt from On the Subject of Changelings and the Faye, by Darragh Goodfellow

Interludes = flashbacks in this game, though that may not be as apparent as I thought it was. Iā€™m loathe to call it a flashback, as that feels rather heavy-handed. At no point in this game do you play another character, though circumstances pending I may offer linear (at least to your viewpoint; the actual content will vary based on choices youā€™ve made with your mc), but those will be in third-person, not second person.

Itā€™s intended to be a somewhat abrupt switch, with the interlude framing it as the flashback it is, as angels donā€™t perceive time in a linear fashion and memories have to be, more or less, manually stored and retrieved with a trigger.

Do you recall reading the interlude bit at all? Or did you read it and it still wasnā€™t clear what was going on?

10 Likes

I mustā€™ve missed the interlude bit. But now that I see it, it makes sense. I figured it out pretty quickly too.

Itā€™s a great game by the way. Iā€™ve replayed it a few times

Moved to Adult Content on account considering the mature content. Let me know if thereā€™s any issues.

@Gower The mature content is entirely skippable, though? I was under the impression that so long as the content was skippable and no worse than already published COG games, such as Heart of the House, a move to the Adult Content section was unnecessary.

I just know that @Dae-kalina has been careful to keep SoS from crossing the line into being a thread which belongs in the Adult Content category, so I wonder if perhaps the move isā€¦ premature? Is that the word Iā€™m looking for here? Regardless, Iā€™m sure you take my meaning.

24 Likes

Iā€™ve asked @RETowers to clarify the policy. My understanding was that games that contain adult content belong in #adult-content, but Iā€™m happy to stand corrected.

1 Like

Alright this is just a quick update to remind everyone that any potential NSFW discussion should go here, which is the thread for this WiPā€™s discussion in the Adult Content category. Please do not bring up anything NSFW or potentially NSFW in this threadā€“do it in that one!

Thanks!

28 Likes

Iā€™m glad everything has been sorted out. Looking forward to more updates.

5 Likes

ITā€™S BACK! Hooray! Canā€™t wait to read more! :partying_face: :tada:

19 Likes

Looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Just read the demo and I have to say the writing is one the best I have seen. Couldnā€™t wait for the next update!

6 Likes

I know this is probably a bit selfish to ask, but could you let the player decide what gender Lucifer identifies as? I mean I at least think it would be pretty cool to romance a female Lucifer.
Would it be at all possible? Pretty please?

Itā€™s completely unnecessary and Lucifer isnā€™t a romance option so it doesnā€™t matter.

17 Likes