SoS: The Mortal Coil (WIP)

Gildarth had shared some links for avatar creators above, I believe they also copied it into their reply to my post so look there for the link :slight_smile:

1 Like

May have to do mine.

1 Like

What a satisfying read.

Dear Author, you have just won my eternal respect due to the sheer replayability of your story (nevermind the magnificent writing!). Thank you for the hard effort you put into both the plot and the gameplay.

This WIP is a true gem.

P.S.: Are you by chance a published author? Your prose is crazy good!

11 Likes

I really like this demo so far, and looking forward to see more. :smiley:

1 Like

The plot seemsā€¦ familiar? I just canā€™t put my finger on it! :persevere::persevere:

A little bit of deja vu?? is it because you read it before and donā€™t remember :slight_smile: because how could someone forget an amazing game like this, its like no other, Syd is very creative and has made her own world and characters, and everything so if it reminds you of something im sure that it was just this one and your little brain just forgot :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Heā€™s not going to like the former, but heā€™ll permit the latter.

@Sailendranath_Murmu
If the bit in spoilers was in reference to who told Gabriel to protect the kid, then no, it was not Lucifer. It was an order from God.

Thanks for the comment!

@Gildarth
I love seeing how people interpret their Gabs, including with avatar creators! Thanks for sharing!

@squarelyblue I love you but I love the tinfoil hats more. Hopefully once all is revealed it will live up to expectations.

Also, I wouldnā€™t possibly be tossing out red herrings now would I?

Thank you for sharing both of your Gabriels! If you ever want to share more about them (particularly if they have a different canon name) I would love to hear about them!

@niisan
Ah thank you for that lovely comment! I am not a published author, though I do have a game published as a lead designer (I did not do the writing, however.)

@CGW
What a peculiar comment! I presume youā€™ve finished what is available of the demo so far, and I would hope you enjoyed it but perhaps itā€™s not your cup of tea. Indeed I like embracing some classic tropesā€“such as ā€˜the chosen oneā€™ā€“though I am afraid I would have no idea why the plot would seem familiar to you unless, as @Djone1 pointed out, you have perhaps played this game before. It has been kicking around for nearly 3 years now and has quite a lot of information available on the tumblr or in the discord.

If you have a concrete critique I would love to hear it! If you have any non-rhetorical questions you may direct them at me here or, as mentioned previously, the gameā€™s tumblr or discord. I am curious what about the plot strikes you as so familiar. Perhaps it is the general trope of being a detective? There are several games with that, yes, though I take quite a few liberties and the police of Jericho City are quite unlike the force anywhere else. Perhaps itā€™s my use of well-known religious names, which I have utilized to create my own distinct characters and in some cases subvert expectations of the readers. I canā€™t answer this question for you! That lies on you.

Oh, and expect questions that may reveal spoilers, such as certain plot related questions, to be unanswered or purposefully misdirected. Cheers and welcome to the thread!

15 Likes

:smiley:

D:

This is peak betrayal and you know it :stuck_out_tongue:

But fine. I understand. I will just have to make all the conspiracy theories in my own tiny corner /sighs drammatically

4 Likes

Ahā€¦ i may have mixed up the plot of the 2007 movie gabriel with the plot of the movie legion lol my bad.
And this is definitely my cup of tea! I canā€™t wait for it!
ā€¦
the only thing that bothered me was how mortal genders is known to angels? Like non-binary and such. It kinda breaks the immersion (to me anyway) how immortal beings use terms that came in to use just recently by humans. Maybe have the options changed to something that references how mortals use these sorts of terms?

Iā€™ll hold the string.

Iā€™m glad youā€™re enjoying it!

Iā€™m not sure what you mean by this? Angels arenā€™t subject to linear time progression so the term wouldnā€™t be new to them and they do have a sort of hive-mind of general knowledge when it comes to humanity. They arenā€™t always up to date on pop culture unless they make a point of it, but generally they have a good grasp of where humanity is at. Not to mention that non-binary literally means not of two (binary meaning of/related to two) so the word itself isnā€™t something I feel an angel wouldnā€™t use.

Angels arenā€™t native English speakers and speak Enochian around their own kind; anything they say is essentially translated already for players and therefore using recognizable terms seems, to me, a detail that doesnā€™t need justification. Not to mention angels frequently engage with a variety of other species, some of which lean towards a majority of their population using binary genders so the concept of male, female, or non-binary is something they have been exposed to in addition to a plethora of other genders. Angels, especially younger ones, tend to identify as agender; gender isnā€™t a big deal to angels generally. ((Is there perhaps some significance to Lucifer being the one to prompt a selection? They say thereā€™s no such thing as coincidenceā€¦))

If you have a specific example as to what you mean in mind that would greatly help! Iā€™m afraid at the moment I simply donā€™t understand the last part of your response.

8 Likes

Ah, i thought they were just speaking english lol I mustā€™ve skipped over that part. Iā€™ll be sure to read everything! My ability to explain stuff is weak soā€¦ i canā€™t explain further sorry. But you did clear it up for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I honestly feel like thereā€™s something more insidious at work than Danny being just a grandkid of Lucy. Like we know his mom is from a magically powerful family but is there something otherworldly about that as a power source? Hence why god wants Gabby to watch over him?

Chinrubs

4 Likes

Hmmmā€¦

Hey, I think I found a typo. image I think thatā€™s supposed to say ā€œof him.ā€ not ā€œof hi.ā€

Iā€™m fairly religious, but this game is too goodnto not try out and it is very well done.

My main character is definitely a conflicted mess who longs for God and is loyal to Heaven, but is deeply loyal to his nestmates and protective of humans. He was awesome by Lucifer and felt betrayed by his Fall, but doesnā€™t hate him.

He is jovial, sarcastic, and will only lose his virginity to a woman he loves wholeheartedly, but he fears the creation of Nephilim. He seeks to save Ramiel and his children and will fall into depression for a century when he fails.

Ultimately, he holds on to them hope that God will come back and if he follows His will with Daniel, things can return to normal.

1 Like

The plot and how this game plays sounds similar to the original mythology(in that Gabriel left heaven to avoid a war) and the Tv show, Supernatural with different characters. Are you basing the story off those two?

3 Likes

When does this happen in the game? Because I donā€™t remember anything that resembles this :thinking:

Oh, I was talking about the original mythology in which Gabriel left heaven to avoid a war. I donā€™t know whatā€™s going to happen in this game.

Hey, so I never check the forum, but today I decided to and found this. Just played the demo twice, and all I can say is that I love it. Very interesting story/plot! I canā€™t wait to see what youā€™re doing with it next. One thing though, and it isnā€™t even about the story. In the top post of this thread one of your descriptors is something like ā€œtrain Nephilim.ā€ Now, assuming that refers to the fae children, wouldnā€™t that kinda be a spoiler? I mean with the whole trial debating whether the fae children were really Nephilim or not and you just say it right there. Didnā€™t know if you meant it literally or if it was just something you said without really meaning that they are Nephilim? Sorry if what Iā€™m saying makes no sense, Iā€™m real tired rn and probably wrote like 3 run on sentences that made no sense.

1 Like

During the trial, you have the opportunity to convince the council to train the fae children. As they are concerned of them potentially being Nephilim, despite the circumstances, as well as the fact that they are a danger to the council, your MC attempts to spare them from death and, in a way, you sort of become their guardians, with the objective to either prove they were never Nephilim or train them for the council to use in coming wars (something the council sort of agree with, better to have on your side then against).