Slow start vs. Fast-Pace start

I’ve been noticing alot of Movies, Shows, and Books either have a fast-pace kind of start with explosions, gun battles, fights, to immediately draw attention and hook readers. while others start slowly creating an atmosphere to immerse people within the realm of the story, and building up before you are given the action you crave…

So, I wanted to ask everyone, do you perfer one over the other style? if your a writer do you gravitate more to the slow build up or fast right off the bat? and what is the drawback to each?

I think it depends on the genre. Some stories a slow start is required to let you build the world up other stories need the fast pace to grab the reader/watcher’s attention from the get go.

Exactly, @Nocturnal_Stillness
If I’m watching the Expendables(which I wouldn’t, it literally put me to sleep. And I LOVE action movies.) I’d like a fast-start.

However, a movie like ‘The Blind Side’, will generally take longer.

In my opinion, if the story is purely or mostly character driven, I think it would do well to have a slower start, while inversely, if a story is plot driven (i.e. the player will ultimately get from point A to point B with variations) then it should have a fast paced start to jump into the action.

Expanding on this, worlds that are uniquely your own (mythical creatures, realms, dystopic universes, ect.) usually tend to lean slightly more towards needing a slow start as opposed to an apocalypse/post-apocalyptic world or something that’s essentially “been done before” that does not require a whole lot of background information or explaining.

@MrYoungzman

I feel asleep on the first one half-way through, I thought I was the only one, but it was less action than I thought it was going to be.

@Batinthehat

Ikr? thats what I was thinking, like maybe movies don’t have to be so slow since your looking at the world it’s set in, and places that are more unknown need more explaining, so I think books and more things usually might start a bit slower.

@Everyone

Do you perfer CYOAs that are fast and get your attention from the start, or do you appreciate things that are more informative with the start and give you alot of background to go off of before everything kicks off?

I like fast pace starts.

I think you could do a MacGyver style thing with Choice of Games though. (From Wikipedia). “Several episodes, including the pilot, begin with a cold open, finding MacGyver already on a mission. MacGyver often narrates a story from his childhood relating to his current situation. He resolves this situation quickly, and the main story commences after the opening credits.” Thus giving you the best of both worlds.

I dislike leaping straight into character creation when I don’t even have much of an idea about the setting. I want to jump straight into the story and then if the story is interesting I will create my character.

I prefer either or, but since I tend to skim through or just immediately go to the next choice in CYOAs, I’d probably like a fast pace start.

@2Ton did you watch part 2 because that one is just action and nothing more

I like both kind of starts like in lord of the rings it takes some time but in scary movie most of them dont really have a plot so they just jump in

@P0RT3R

No, I was on the fence about seeing it. I wanted to see it but a part of me didnt wanna be disappointed so I just havent seen it but I probably will soon enough.

And seems like mostly everyone wants action from the start

And the majority of the people here are Right-handed. :stuck_out_tongue: I prefer having a slow start, let the conflicts arise, and settle for the climax.

Choice of Games stories usually start “in medias res”. Broadsides has you commanding a gun crew in a battle, Dragon has you facing down a charging knight, The Fleet starts with your homeworld about to fall.

Personally though, I’ve always been a world-builder at heart, so I usually try to start in the way that can explain as much as I can and introduce as many themes as possible without interrupting the action. This is why I usually spend the first couple chapters moving along slowly, easing the reader into this new world. Filmwise, we’re talking more “Barry Lyndon” and The Guns of Navarone" than say, a James Bond flick.

I prefer slow starts myself.

@Cataphrak You earn major points from me for mentioning, much less knowing, what “Barry Lyndon” is.

As for the slow/fast issue, I agree with the gist of what Batinthehat had to say. I can’t really say for sure about my own work, but my feeling is I lean more on the side of the slow-paced beginning. Like Cataphrak, I love world-building and so I love to explore and immerse/be immersed.

I think If it’s done well then I will be interested, If it fits with theme and has good directing and etc.

Ive tried both… but I feel I lean more in the direction of slow and mapped out, but in my opinion sometimes(more like rarely) I think Action to kick it off might be better.

Fast start can be excellent as you’re in the action and (presumably) getting an idea as to the story and style of game right off the bat and hopefully grabbing the player’s interest, but it can also be weird to have the player pick out actions if the game hasn’t yet asked if they’re X, Y or Z yet. It can also be a bit of a pacing issue if things go from “You stand over the smoking corpse of the Robo-Hellbeast, rubble scattered everywhere. You hear your mother calling your name, what was it again? Also, your brother and sister are going to call you ‘sibling’ for a couple more pages because that’s the soonest I worked in the gender choice.”

Drawback of a slow start is if you don’t do it right it can be hard for the player to get clear picture of the style of world and game they’re playing. Like, Choice of Dragon gives you the charging knight and ways to deal with it, and that gives a frame of reference for how other scenarios will be resolved, and the player can see from the options available what sort of different styles of play/stat builds might look like (I’m a fire mage vs. I burn them to ashes with a gout of flame from my fingertips). On the other hand if you provide too much world-building information it can come across as info-dumpy and the player might not be able to discern what’s relevant to their play-through and whats background fluff to flesh out the world.

Personal preference I would lean towards a fast start, but in the end it doesn’t matter to me which one is used so much as whether it’s done well. Choice of Heroes certainly has a fast start, but it doesn’t end up being relevant to the rest of the game at all other than to sort of broadly establish the technological level of the world, which was done better by the mechips anyway (And to be clear, I overall liked CoH despite its problems)

edit: Wow, too many words. TL:DR; there’s pros and cons to both, I like fast-paced