Shepherds of Haven (WIP) (DEMO UPDATE: 3 Aug 2021)

If MC does end up having a mixed heritage, would MC have additional racial powers? (I.e. speaking to animals, enhanced martial prowess, demon radar, etc.) If so, I feel like these powers, depending on their magnitude, have the potential to impact the story quite a bit–which means more work for you in terms of scene variations.

Also, wouldn’t MC’s magical abilities be weakened if they aren’t full Mage? I vaguely recall magic weakening the more diluted the Mage blood becomes (correct me if I’m wrong). Will MC’s magic be weaker compared to Ayla/Red and will it impact the story?

Ah, okay, thanks for digging that up! I added rose-gold, silver, and ashy hair to the version I have but never got around to posting it! :sweat_smile:

The MC is completely Mage-like in their powers and did not inherit any other powers from the other side of their DNA! (Precisely because I felt it would make MC much too OP from the get-go, create too much branching, and also–magic tends to cancel the other stuff out.)

This is usually true, but isn’t true in the case of MC for reasons I can’t go into haha–and there have also been cases where magic skips a few generations, only to come back amplified, so that half- or part-blooded Mages were even more powerful than their predecessors! So, long story short, there are trends but no absolutea!

No, this isn’t going to impact the story in any way except what’s outlined above: some deeper character interactions once they notice some traits about MC! MC will absolutely not be any weaker or less powerful than they would have been, and it won’t change the story in any way other than cosmetic! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So we’re like 99.99% mage, and the magic blood basically doesn’t acknowledge that single lonely elf blood cell floating around.

1 Like

Yes, exactly! The only acknowledgement is making those ears a teensy bit pointier than usual!

7 Likes

So technically a full blooded mage with weird ears lol.

More importantly will Tallys find my slighty pointy ears adorable :smiley:?

4 Likes

Seems more like a Kettle Tattoo kind of gal :joy:, there can only be MC to rule them all

If you mean Tallys I’m pretty sure she’s closer to an elf MC.

1 Like

i think you mean Slightly cute and adorable not weird

2 Likes

Tallys, an intellectual: ah, your ears… I see you are one of the blood?

Tallys, inside: ahhh omg tiny itty bitty baby elf ears!!! ahhhhh

MC walks around with a beanie to keep Tallys from smirking whenever she sees them–

And yes, Tallys isn’t necessarily closer to an Elf MC but gets a big boost to her relationship if you are one! It’s not anything a non-Elf MC couldn’t make up by sucking up to her but it definitely makes things easier! No bonuses for any other races, though! :stuck_out_tongue:

22 Likes

Tallys: I wanna touch 'em
tenor

16 Likes

Trouble: sooo if you’re from Vale, why are your ears not pointed?

Tallys: oh my god Trouble you can’t just ask people why their ears aren’t pointed!

(x)

21 Likes

Mc: oh I have to regularly trim them and polish them otherwise hats don’t feel comfortable…
Tallys: looks horrified

4 Likes

Tallys: Where are you going, MC?
MC: Gotta go get my ears trimmed
Tallys:

18 Likes

Sometimes I write these choices feeling like MC is a Sith Lord whispering dark urges to Trouble/Anakin, slowly pushing him towards the dark side…

33 Likes

I’m pretty sure I have two shoulder devils and a half angel on my shoulders.

4 Likes

Young Trouble, strike him down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards the dark side will be complete.

7 Likes

How do we kill this sorry guy like shot to head mob way thinking of going or more ways going with this haha :smiling_imp: I love play bad guy sometime

1 Like

76 hours of “Oops I did it again” at 50% playback speed max volume and consequences button that drops them into a pit of artic cold water with no way out should they choose to press it.

Other option
Reveal your maniacal plan put them in a elaborate slow moving escapable trap and leave, …or the smart thing just instant immolation.

Final option give them a fork tie their legs together and tell them they live if they can beat the mob that they are about to give permission to have at it.

2 Likes

The guy’s unconscious, so yes, if you do decide to kill him, it’s like a mafia-style execution, haha! You won’t be able to be totally evil in this game but you can definitely be ruthless with justification!

Weekly Update Because I’m Going to Start Doing This To Keep Myself Accountable:

ohboy

Trouble’s route in chapter 1 is massive already–at 20k words–and we’re not even 2/3rds of the way done… :sweat: For context, the entire prologue alone was 25,000 words! So his route is already as big as the prologue and we’re not even counting Tallys’ route yet (which is tentatively done (?)).

Overall, Shepherds of Haven stands at 111,000 words with chapters 1, 2, 3, and 6 partially worked on and all of the prologue done! I don’t know what that says about how big the project is going to be overall, but we’re inching towards getting this chapter at least out to the alpha testers–and then the public demo!

Edit: I just realized, at 111k words, ShoH is already as long as my novel was… and it’s not even two chapters done yet… wtf

43 Likes

yayy go Trouble, I love you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes