Shepherds of Haven (WIP) (DEMO UPDATE: 3 Aug 2021)

So I can be a swole elf lol?

1 Like

Of course lol! In this world “Elf” doesn’t mean “slender waif,” it means “human with slightly pointed ears who can speak different languages magically” lol!

5 Likes

(Also, in other news, the girls’ portraits from the Ko-fi fundraiser are done and in the game! In the story, a court painter comes to visit the Order and paints hand-sized portraits of whoever’s recruited. It’s common to exchange these as tokens of affection among very close friends or lovers, so maxing out a relationship with someone means you’ll get to view their portrait in your codex!)

10 Likes

@rinari I apologize if this has been asked before, but will we be able to join Shery researching the Archmage’s tower without romancing her? I do like Shery’s character so she would probably be my second choice of RO anyway but I’m waiting to see whether my MC prefers one other person so I’d rather keep my options open.

2 Likes

@Norilinde don’t worry, it hasn’t been asked before! :slight_smile: You can do anything with any character without romancing them, so yes, researching things with Shery, going on adventures with Red and Ayla, or going to parties with Lavinet is definitely in the cards no matter what!

7 Likes

Looking forward to playing as an half elf!

1 Like

I can’t wait to play my Ket, in my demo playthrough I already chosen to have tatoos anyway :joy::joy:

2 Likes

I’ll take more involved heritage over cosmetics any day, and your suggestions don’t sound especially intrusive besides–they wouldn’t prevent me from using specific character builds, in any case.

I do generally like a heads up before committing–if for no other reason than, if I’m torn, I’ll pick the one with the cool cosmetics (I’m not torn, I fully expect I’ll have 10 playthroughs as Ket to the other backgrounds. But. If.). I’ve never been offended by a game not having that, though.

3 Likes

I liked the idea of being a full Mage adopted by the culture personally, but if that is going to be changed to where you are part Mage-Part Heritage race than yes I’d want it reflected in how you look!

3 Likes

Good idea, @catorrina! I’ll add a heads-up for that choice so people know what they’re getting into. :slight_smile: Glad you’re for the idea!

I guess the question is, since MC was abandoned by their parents, there was never any way of knowing they were a full-blooded Mage at all (as in, both parents were Mages and had Mage ancestors going all the way back to the beginning of time)–there was only knowing that they had magic in their blood due to the iladrin, but their lineage is completely up in the air! :sweat_smile: So to me, I don’t think it changes too much to have them be 98.99% Mage and 1.01% something else that manifests itself somehow. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

98.5% mage 1.5% demon/god
4 greats grandfather would be 100% Demon/God
Wich would mean nothing but lineage rights at best…at least in most stories.

2 Likes

Plot twist… MC is the demon who destroyed their village…

14 Likes

That would be traumatic if it was. :scream:

1 Like

OMG that would be scary and heartbreaking :fearful:

2 Likes

DUN DUN DUUNNN…
I could see the shadow thingy that warned us as a great grandparent warning a youngling of thier family of impending danger becuase they are young enough to still sense them clearly

Edit: wow so much immediate shock from everyone.

2 Likes

Ah yeah, I misinterpreted what you were saying in the poll as “the MC will be half X”.:sweat_smile: I’m all for it then!

Will you remove the ivory hair option/lock it to hunter only? Maybe if you changed it to gray then you would have a ‘White streak in gray hair’ as opposed to ‘white streak in a different shade of white hair’

2 Likes

Ok, that makes sense. Well whichever way you choose sounds good to me. Lots of ability to roleplay for either choice. So go with whatever you feel comfortable with and/or think adds more to the game. :slightly_smiling_face: You’re a wonderful writer, and I have complete faith that you’ll do the options justice.

3 Likes

I personally wouldn’t mind a tattoo, especially if it’s on the smaller side and the areas you mentioned seem pretty unobtrusive! I think that’s a good idea because it really doesn’t change the appearance of the mc (unless it’s a face tattoo lol), but it’s still something special to that culture. It’s kind of like a birthmark or freckle. It still gives us control in customizing our character.

1 Like

Ah, thanks! :smiley: And I’ll probably just keep the ivory option for anyone who wants the streak to be indiscernible lol but do I not have grey/silver as an option already??

Aw, thank you so much, @spunkycatninja! This was so kind and lovely of you to say and it was what I needed to hear after a long week! :hugs: Thank you!! :sparkling_heart:

Yes, I’m still on the fence about whether it’s on the wrist or the shoulder (leaning towards the wrist because it means Blade could spot it even if MC is the type to always wear long sleeves) and it’s quite small! Otherwise Ket-players would have total control over their appearance! :slight_smile:

Edit: I meant type to wear long sleeves, not top…

4 Likes

Doesn’t look like it in the currently posted demo! We’ve got: Raven, Brown, Autumn Leaves, Chestnut, Copper, Amber, Straw, Golden, Ivory, and Flame colored hair options!