Shepherds of Haven (WIP) (DEMO UPDATE: 3 Aug 2021)

I agree that having to choose all the dialogue options is a bit of a bother. I mean the first time is fine, but for replayability purposes it’s a bitch.

3 Likes

Maybe just have something like:

“What’s your favorite type of ice cream?” (ends conversation)

That way you can naturally lead into the next scene and inform the player which choice moves the conversation along.

2 Likes

@rinari Alternatively, you could have the last choice be something narrative, like describing characters turning away from the conversation, or even have the last choice be dialogue from another character a new tangent of discussion or changing the topic altogether.

Ex:

*choice
  * "What can you tell me about [insert stuff]?" you ask.
    *goto [stuff]
  * "Did you see anyone else [blank]?" you ask.
    *goto [blank]
  * "I already told you everything I know," says the farmer.
    *goto nextscene
*choice
  * "Tell me more about yourself," you say.
    *goto backstory
  * "It must have been tough, being on your own." you say.
    *goto super_secret_tragic_backstory
  * John scratches the back of his neck and turns away. You won't be getting much more out of him.
    *goto nextscene
8 Likes

@justme I like that! Would (…) instead of (ends conversation) or (move on) be clear enough?

@rose-court I really like that option too!!! I might do a mix-and-match—since sometimes the conversation ending/segueing is a surprise, like the tomato in Blade’s scene, so in that case I wouldn’t have the last choice be an interruption like that (to maintain the suspense). But during interrogations or main story things that would be really good! Thanks for the suggestion!

12 Likes

Probably, especially if it’s the last on the list.

4 Likes

I like to now how far are you with rewrite if you don’t mind me asking :face_with_monocle: my good man or women

I’m a woman! Though I prefer mistress or fraulein (just kidding lol).

I’m not too terribly far with rewrites, mostly because I don’t plan on changing too much: the prologue is staying exactly the same, minus some tiny edits and deleting achievements, and the dialogue of the day off sequences (which are the only things I’m really rewriting) is also largely the same. It’s just the context of them that I’m rewriting, since it no longer requires the MC to train with those characters. So far I’ve rewritten Blade’s and Trouble’s: Trouble’s is the only one’s that is drastically different, since it doesn’t involve him teaching the MC at the shooting range, but trying to solve a minor mystery of a stray dog. I’ve also revamped or cleaned up the future day off sequences for these characters and have started writing the next ones, but very slowly! Since this is still technically on hiatus, I haven’t made too much progress beyond planning and outlining. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Take your time, Mistress~ :smiling_imp:

Looking forward to more Tallys!

4 Likes

Thank you!~ I was all shocked by being called Mistress for a moment LOL I’m so dumb!

5 Likes

I think you mean adorable! Cuz reading that was cute as hell. You must be more scatterbrained than someone I know to have been shocked after mentioning it not even 10 minutes ago xD

4 Likes

I am very scatterbrained! It’s why I need to outline extensively, or I forget everything! XD (Such as what I just said ten minutes ago!) The first outline for ShoH was over 50 single-spaced pages alone…

12 Likes

Who’s to say that when they strike me down that i havent become stronger than they could possibly imagine.
obi-wan-death

8 Likes

I’m still waiting for us to be called Dovahkin :joy:

2 Likes

NEW IDEA FOR A COG GAME AND I’M CALLING DIBS HERE:

A GAME WHERE YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY AS A GHOST LIVING IN A HAUNTED HOUSE AND YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO HAUNT THE SHIT OUT OF PEOPLE OR WATCH THEIR LIVES QUIETLY AND BE A LITTLE FRIENDLY CASPER.

© RINARI 2018

12 Likes

Not something I would play as I prefer to be alive. But it sounds like it could be fun for others. :smile:

Too late lol You can play as a ghost and can haunt (or not) people in the upcoming The Grim and I by ThomB

5 Likes

Touche, @ThomB… touche…

12 Likes

Hello guy, what is up-

20180806_230138

6 Likes

Is it…Trouble’s dog, Dog?

6 Likes

yiss

6 Likes