Shepherds of Haven (WIP) (DEMO UPDATE: 3 Aug 2021)

D o n ’ t
f o r g e t
L o n ’ q u

5 Likes

Or Odin. Or vaike. Or flavia. Or Olivia.

2 Likes

Wonder if Fire Emblem Awakening has some meme of its own as well. :thinking:

All of them, honestly. :joy: The people that are going to be part of his new life will certainly make things lively.

But then I saw a particular NSFW question and read the responses (that damned smiley response from Tally).

Robin really is in for a handful with his potential ROs (Tally, Lavinet, and Alta. Red looks like the only one who will go easy on the guy).

He’s Red and Trouble’s love child.

Sherry.

4 Likes

Interesting legacy. Now do tharja, dinner and panne.

Mimir (but with more sanity).

Tally.

Some chicken tenders, french fries, pepperoni pizza, and a Coca-Cola to wash it all down.

4 Likes

Don’t worry! This is actually helpful! Thanks!

Now I want a horse-sized cat…

I love this :hugs:

Okay, so who is Mimir??

Nevermind. I’m just gonna dive deep into this thread and Tumblr.

1 Like

Hahahahahahahahaha I meant to put Donnel. Oh man I didn’t catch that.

1 Like

(I was so confused when I read ‘dinner’, but just decided to go with it. :laughing:)

Caine.

3 Likes

(If you still want to know who Mimir or any of the other characters are, let me know! A short summary of them can be found in the OP of this thread, but they’ve all quickly spun out into their own memes and threads even though most haven’t appeared! :joy::joy:)

9 Likes

Sure, I’ll let you know! I just don’t wanna bother you too much so I’ll try reading through this thread first. And yeah, it seems people here already know too much about the characters but I guess that’s because they’ve been here a long time and have been following your Tumblr. :blush:

2 Likes

The story is really awesome!
Also, will the norms implement magical technology? Or perhaps technological magic? Since, you know, they already use mages for fighting the darkness, why not use them for technological advancement too?

1 Like

Norms use the diminished because they consider them disposable and it’s better to send them to die instead of other norms. If they use them for technological advancement that means that they have to admit that they need the diminished, and good luck with that

2 Likes

Hmmm…
Not even in secret secret? I mean the norms are scientists, scientists which would surely see the virtue of creating magical technology. Having a revolver that shoots thunders at Endarkened kinda makes the Sheperds obsolete(damn I love that word)

3 Likes

how shepherds of haven going with you and all that goodness

1 Like

I think @rinari mentioned that the norms at one point invented some sort of gun that uses water sprites or something like that but it was too expensive and impractical

3 Likes

Mhm…nods sagely well I guess you can’t get everything you want(I’m looking at you norms)

1 Like

I just did another few playthroughs and I’m wondering, if we didn’t choose to spend time with a Shepherd, will we have another chance? Is it better to spend time with them as much as possible? Because you learn a lot about them if you do spend time with them.

1 Like

I’ll probably spend time with them as much as possible though I hope I don’t have to sacrifice my MC’s enhancing their skillset.

3 Likes

That’s what I worry about. I want to learn everything about them so that might mean I won’t have much time for training and studying magic.

3 Likes

It’s never a bother, so feel free to ask! I always love talking about ShoH, lol!

Thank you!!! And in the past Norms did develop guns based on magic, but they disliked the reliance on Mages that it required and strove to develop a completely independent industry that could never be leveraged against them by any Diminished. However, there is still some magical technology at play in the world: magical artifacts and tools (usually single-use items like fire-orbs that are imbued with magical energy but can be used by anyone at a later time) are still produced, although they are heavily-regulated and overseen by the Autarchy. They still require a reliance on Mages, though, so they’re not encouraged by any means–but they definitely still exist! There are also rumors that airships are built with a kind of hybrid of Norm and magical technology, but that’s not yet confirmed!

Yes, you will have other chances to spend time with other Shepherds! Every story mission is accompanied by another day off. In every day off, you have, uh, I think time for five activities? ^has to check the code^ So there are four Shepherds available at the moment, and then time for one more activity if you want–shopping doesn’t take time–and as time goes on and the number of potential recruits increases, I’ll also increase the amount of time slots you can use. However, yes, I would recommend picking a Shepherd that you really care about and spending as much time with them as possible. Their sequences go in sequential order, so if you missed an opportunity to talk to Blade this day off, you can still get the same scene with him next day off–it won’t “skip” anything in his story line, if that makes any sense. However, some NPCs will have checks down the road: like if you haven’t spent X amount of time with them by a point, you may miss an event or opportunity to change their path to romance or something. It’s hard to explain in text without referencing code, lol!

Hypothetical explanation using code

Say there are 10 chapters with 10 days off.

I’m going to make up an NPC here to avoid spoilers: let’s call her Kana.

Say Kana’s day off sequences involve her opening up to you about her estranged father and her troubled past with her family. During day off sequence 1 with Kana, she does some activity with you and off-handedly mentions always wanting a sibling to hang out with. In day off sequence 2, you can ask her more about her family and she can explain that she grew up an only child and alludes to not getting along with her parents. However, she changes the topic after that and you end up doing something else together, like shopping. In day off sequence 3-7, there are more complex conversations that stem from that: Kana reveals, say, that her father sent her away when she was young because he found out she was a Mage, and she always resented him for it.

By chapter 7, Kana finds out that her father is dying. Now the game checks to see how far along the MC is in Kana’s side story. If (time spent) with Kana is only at 2, meaning she’s talked to the MC somewhat about being an only child but not about her father, the game will proceed without telling the player about her father dying, because the MC doesn’t know about him and Kana doesn’t feel close to them. The player will miss the opportunity to go on Kana’s side quest or maybe even romance her (since maybe she confesses after the MC helps her out). But if (time spent) with Kana is at 7, meaning the MC knows all about Kana’s father and has gotten her to open up, she will approach the MC and tell them about the problem, and they can choose how they want to help her out (either by accompanying her to see her father or encouraging her to just move on).

Now, in certain cases, events aren’t locked to the game’s time, but to their own ‘character’ time. So say Kana’s father doesn’t always die at chapter 7, but he always dies whenever (time spent) with Kana hits 7, instead. If (time spent) with Kana is only at 4 by chapter 7, you can still experience her side quest by the end of the game (chapter 10) and lock her into a romance. However, you will miss out on any of the content that could come after the side quest/romancing her, such as being in a relationship with her–because the game will end at that point.

…I really hope that makes sense, lol! Each character’s story works differently, too, so none of them can be easily described in general terms!

But yeah, it’s intended to be a balancing act between getting to know people and leveling up: it adds a little bit of challenge and time management to the game! I will strive to make sure progression is doable and fair even if you sometimes skip training or magical study or something. :slight_smile:

I still haven’t worked on it much, haha! Just been trucking away at editing the novel (which is probably the hardest part of the process, honestly!) The only change I have to report is moving the inventory to a separate screen and making it all organized and sparkly and aesthetic! :sparkles:

14 Likes