Shepherds of Haven (WIP) (DEMO UPDATE: 3 Aug 2021)

Ever heard of ‘jerk with a heart of gold’ ?
Well I like to play my MCs as massive frothting steel spiked dickbags with hearts made of gold studded with diamonds

So is it possible to be an asshole in dialogue but be excused from it because we help other people and such ?

3 Likes

Thank you for your concern! :grin: I will do my best to not overwork myself haha, and if it gets to be too much, I will definitely scale back to keep the story intact!

I’ve never played as a jerk either, haha! I get attached to characters and treat them like real people, so it’s hard for me to consider treating them badly! :joy: And yes, there’s definitely, definitely a Bioware influence, but I also want to keep it toned down as much as I can - I want to make ShoH my own game, as well! :slight_smile:

I mean, no, you can definitely play as a jerk with a heart of gold, but no one’s going to excuse you from it just for being charitable! :laughing: They will still react to you as if you’re being a jerk to them in that particular instance!

Summary

Blade: MC, I need you to–

MC: Fuck off, Blade.

Blade: wtf? that was completely unwarranted… well MC did save those orphans last week, so i guess it’s fine…

Blade: Okay, never mind. I’ll do it myself~

10 Likes

Ikr. My heart hurts when i try.

7 Likes

How can anyone bear to treat Blade anyone in ShOH badly :kissing:

7 Likes

if I going be jerk I will be smart one some if one is dumb is planing fight 9 demon by him self I will tell he going to die worst way

2 Likes

Hi, new fan here! Let me just say I adore this WIP so much I regret not playing it sooner!

I hope you don’t mind me asking a few questions and I apologize if they’ve been answered before.

How advanced is their technology? To what time period would you compare it? Are the guns similar to flintlocks or are they more similar to the modern ones?

Is it possible for one RO to have feelings for the MC even if they don’t feel the same? gotta prepare for the angst. it’s already angsty in just the demo.

Why did I lose relationship points with Trouble when I chose “No” when he asked if I remember him saying he was in a gang. He never told me so I said no.

Is there any art of the different kinds of demons? And also the different creatures, like the ahfuri? I’m just asking mostly because I can’t picture them lol.

What are the stat requirements to unlock these choices?
IMG_20180918_234419
(apparently, my blue light filter was on. sorry about that.)

3 Likes

Iirc revolvers do exist, they just aren’t common yet and only the vice guard and people with money own them

As for the rest of the technology, trains exist, and apparently there’s an airship being built. So I’d say technology is early 19th century-ish ?

3 Likes

If you choose to spend some time with Trouble after joining the Shepherds in Chapter 1, he will tell you about it.

2 Likes

I remember an ask similar to this one on tumblr I think. Your mc can reject a ro confession but I don’t know if it will be acknowledged that the ro still likes you after you reject them. I would love for my mc to have an unrequited crush himself but I don’t think it’s possible to play like that unless I leave it to headcanon he’s definitively crushing on Blade even if Blade is straight rip

Here’s the ask:Shepherds of Haven

3 Likes

If she didn’t spend time with him, then she wouldn’t have known. I think the point being raised is that she’s being “punished” unduly here.

So this is an interesting point being raised. If you didn’t have time to hang with a particular character, can the game recognize that and not take away points?

5 Likes

now I get a better picture, thanks!

@Cheion but I didn’t spend time with them so I wouldn’t know :confused:

yes, this is what I’m saying. Thank you!

and I, the reader, am crushing on Trouble the hot-head :laughing:

2 Likes

:woman_facepalming: maybe I didn’t word it properly. Yeah, you will only know if you do that haha.

The game’s still in the demo phase so I’m sure it’ll be rectified when Rinari has more time to get back to it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I sure hope so but it’s not really a big deal for me. If it’s too much to code, then I understand. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have a question : as we recruit people, norms and non-norms(or was it blessed you called them?), will there be a civil war within the Shepperds? Because just like Talys, I believe a lot of non-norms will harbor ill feelings towards the city they protect(also I like a lot the realistic approach : hate generates more hate and so on), however, if we speak about realism, it’s kinda impossible(unless exceptional circumstances occur) for a non-norm revolt/shift of power in both the world and the Shepperds. Until now, your wip is very nicely done. Congrats!

3 Likes

I feel like Halek is my spirit animal

and also, meme time boi!

The norms 200 years ago
Slogan-for-Trumps-space-force

7 Likes

agreed

…is what I wish I could say, goddamnit, I get so stupidly competitive… :sweat:

4 Likes

Hi there! Thank you so much, that’s very kind of you!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I never mind answering questions, btw!

I would say the technology is a mixed bag of 1500s-early 1800s: the guns are similar to flintlocks, with one-shot pistols being more common and revolvers having just made it onto the scene (but not long enough to be widespread)! There’s more in-depth discussion of it here if you’re interested!

ugh I know I love dat angst–

cough In general, it shouldn’t be possible for an RO to have feelings for/confess to an MC if the MC hasn’t already flirted with them at least a little bit. The thresholds for most romances are quite high (meaning you have to spend ample time with a character/signal romantic interest for them to start liking you) so almost always it defaults to friendship unless you do something to change that! The only exception I can think of is that Tallys might come on to you fairly early, and it might be a misunderstanding on the part of the player, but you still have to flirt with her at least twice for that to happen!

I do it this way to minimize any risk of anyone feeling uncomfortable because of unwanted ROs throwing themselves at the player, lol! So yeah, you can always max a friendship with the characters without diverging into a romance path unless you want it to happen!

Those paths have actually just not been written yet, sorry! When I update the game, they will not be locked. :laughing: However, you will need high charisma and psionic magic to pass the second test (mesmerizing Hal) and high intelligence to pass Hal’s belongings, I think. I have to look at the code again, lol!

No, there isn’t yet, sorry! :sweat: I wish I was artistically-talented enough to create it! If it helps, I provided more detailed physical descriptions and references of each thing below!

Creatures

Imps are small, blue-skinned creatures that are about the size of a toddler; they have needle-sharp claws and teeth and huge, beetle-black eyes. They kind of look like this with different coloration!

Revenants are twice the height of a man and have pale, opalescent skin and talons that drip with venom. They kind of look like this vaguely??

Demon's_Bane_large

Cacophants and the Archdemon generally look the same. Cacophants are shape-shifters and take on a whole host of forms, from unspeakable eldritch horrors to tentacle monsters to beautiful seductive mortals. Their “classic” form when their enchantments have been stripped away, however, looks like a twisted form of a Child of Light: red skin, wings, horns, tail, the whole shebang. Like dis:

Finally, ahfuri are just horse-sized big cats!

UGKKQf8

Sorry for the shitty reference pics; again, I wish I were an artist lol.

You and @Marceline_Reyes raise a good point! I wrote that scene in mind assuming everyone had spent time with all NPCs because there was enough time in the day–but you’re right that Trouble can’t get mad at the player for him never telling them something, lol! I’ll go back and code it so that points are lost only if time was spent with Trouble and he told them about the gang and the MC just forgot. :slight_smile: Otherwise, yes, the game shouldn’t punish you for not choosing to spend time with a character during story events!

Summary

[MC is dangling from a cliff]: Trouble, pull me up!!

Trouble: Why didn’t you hang out with me last Tuesday?!

MC: What?!

Trouble: I asked you if you were free and you said you were running errands, but then I saw you shopping with Tallys! Why did you lie?!

MC: Do we really need to talk about this right now?!

Trouble: [narrows eyes] …Goodbye, MC.

Thank you very much! :grin: And non-Norms are now referred to as Diminished: all Children of Light (Diminished and Norms) can technically be referred to as such or as the Blessed, but that usage has died out more in the age that the story takes place in!

And there will not be a civil war within the Shepherds: most recruits won’t sign up to risk their lives for the city if they don’t genuinely want to, since it’s a voluntary position, and most also see that Norms like Trouble or Shery are also risking their lives by being in the Order. However, whether there can be a revolution against the Autarchy itself remains to be seen! :wink:

LMAO YESSS these give me life <3

Mimir memes for the first time, too! :joy: She is so weird, @Djone1 and I were just talking about how even I don’t know anything about her! She’s a

12 Likes

So I went on the tumblr, read a certain group of asks…and quickly got lost in a giggle feast as one simple thought came to my mind:

‘Robin is going to be screwed on so many levels.’ :joy:

2 Likes

furiously wonders about which Batman meme I posted on Tumblr

Haha, which asks caught your eye?! :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Where’s Chrom and Sumia?

1 Like