Shepherds of Haven (WIP) (DEMO UPDATE: 3 Aug 2021)

That’s a clever idea! And now that you put it that way, I’m not totally sure why I didn’t juse code it that way to begin with, lol. I’ll see if this new way of arranging the code fixes the problem first, but if not, I’m totally going to use this! Thank you so much for the help and time!

You got lucky, lol; you’re not supposed to be able to access that part in the public demo, but by sheer fluke you were able to! Basically what happened was:

• You were playing when I happened to upload a new file, forcing your game to restart to the beginning of the chapter
  • When you save using the online plug-in, your web cache stores or takes a snapshot of all of the variables in the game
  • Because you had already spent time with Tallys, the game saved the variable “time spent with Tallys” as 1
  • So when you were forced to restart, when you came to that point in the game again, instead of the system reading it as “time spent with Tallys = 0, go to this scene,” it “remembered” that you’d already spent time with her before (because of how the saving plug-in stores cookies and variables and whatnot) and sent you to the “you’ve already spent time with Tallys” scene instead!

I hope that makes sense! It really shouldn’t happen all that frequently but will just result from me uploading files frequently and the way the saving plug-in works. Sorry for any inconvenience! It will go away if you start your game over, but messing with the save system will create funky issues like that sometimes!

3 Likes

Hi! First i want to say that i love tthis WIP and im looking forward for more updates…
I´m sorry if this has already been reported but i found this bug:

Summary

this happens when you decide to a job (this happened when i did the bodyguard job) in the free time that is given us, so when the page that says how much money you did with the job if you open the stats page and then return to the game the quantity of money will change… Here is two examples:

The first time that i did the job this page appeared that i had won 10 lyss and then i went to see how much money i had in the stats page and when i returned to the normal game the quantinty had changed along with how much money i had:

Once more im sorry if has this already been reported…

1 Like

Hi there! Thank you so much for the report (and for enjoying the demo)!

So basically what happens is that your pay per side job is determined by dice roll… and I guess by looking at your stats screen and then going back, you found a way to re-roll the dice each time! :sweat_smile: There’s no real way for me to prevent that, so you’ve basically found a way to exploit the system lol… but I appreciate you reporting it! I’ll have a think on it for sure, but may just have to accept that it’s something that people can potentially do!

3 Likes

The chances of winning 100 lyss with the job are a little bit high or is there a bigger quantity that can be won with the job (or im very lucky because in my 3 gameplays i always won the 100 lyss payment)?
But this is not the first game that i see this problem so i understand that is not your problem and well in a way im a little grateful, it helps a bit this 100 lyss in the begin of the game…

1 Like

You must be extremely lucky! You have a 1 out of 10 chance of getting 100 lyss, so you happened to hit that 1/10 each time you played! (And 100 lyss is the most you can get, so there’s no bigger quantity than that!)

Something similar happened with a person who won every single round of Elements with Tallys… maybe you should buy a lottery ticket today! :laughing:

1 Like

yeah i did 2 test (wich test had 10 tries) and gave me this:
First test (i had did one before this first test but i didn´t register the numbers, but it was very similar): 100/100/40/30/10/20/10/60/100/100
The second test was very much worse: 20/70/20/70/10/10/5/50/5/30
So yeah i guess it was luck like it happened in the first test…

1 Like

I believe you can in fact prevent that if you put the *rand command on the page before you actually need it!

Random Feedback Thought 101: A few of the descriptors for deciding hair color and eye color might need some work. While beautiful in word choice they don’t necessarily evoke the color they are supposed to. For example …

• the color of autumn leaves … when I think of autumn leaves I think of the New England trees changing color – most a redish color but some golden, some brown and other colors mixed in as well. Suggestion: autumn red leaves … or whatever the color…

• light rose – I was spoiled to have a huge rose garden near my place of work for a while, and so I would go to lunch there… one thing I learned is that there are quite a few colors of roses … same suggestion as above

This is nitpicky: perhaps have the reader affirm the color given is the color they wanted?

O.k. back to testing.

Edit 1: no cycling back to the magic school and specialty … guess my last attempt was during an update cycle.

14 Likes

I LOVE IT SO MUCH, THANK YOU @rinari !!!:heart::heart::heart:
#ShepherdsBookmark
#EvenCuterIrl

9 Likes

I’m so happy you like it, @Jender!!! (Your post on Tumblr is in my queue as well!) :heart: Thank you so much for participating in the giveaway and being such a great supporter of Shepherds of Haven! I hope you enjoy!!! :bookmark:

9 Likes

Umm… I’m waaay behind on everything as I haven’t been on the forum in months, but has your book been published yet?
@rinari

2 Likes

Not yet, we are still in the editing phases with the publisher! :slight_smile: I’ve heard a release date of early 2021–book publishing is a lengthy process I guess! :joy: Thanks for asking!

8 Likes

Aw well… long but worth it. I’m still excited to read it when it comes out! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Aw, that’s so kind of you!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’ll be sure to post an announcement here when I know more!

11 Likes

What??? I’m so excited :smiley:this is on the top of my must have list !!! That message alone made my day …so many play throughs …gonna play this so hard

2 Likes

Sorry, but from your comment i suppose you understood that @rinari was talking about Shepherds of Haven but I think she was referring to a book that she wrote in 2019 called “We Have Always Been Here”. (sorry if i understood your comment wrong)

6 Likes

Why I believe the MC. Is part demon? Because I just imagined it We don’t know their real parents Or where they came from mc have magic in their blood. And they’re gifted. That kind of kicks something in my head. So that’s my theory Or or MC grew from a random tree🤭

5 Likes

That’s intriguing… But interesting too :thinking:

5 Likes

Thank you. I try.

4 Likes

Hi everybody! :slight_smile: In honor of Valentine’s Day, I’ve updated the romance option compatibility quizzes! In addition to being brand new quizzes with brand new questions, the results also now include Prihine, Briony, Halek, and Croelle! If you’re in the mood for romance, you should take a new quiz below!

Male Romance Options Compatibility Quiz

Female Romance Options Compatibility Quiz

If you’d like to reblog, here’s the post on Tumblr! And don’t forget to share your results! :two_hearts:

*These quizzes are only for fun so please don’t chase me down if you get the wrong result lol!!!

34 Likes