Shepherds of Haven (WIP) (DEMO UPDATE: 3 Aug 2021)

Lady Prihine was actually my first crush …curious to know how far the romance will go , but i remember there are more interesting female ROs, Lady Prihine will certainly make the RO competition fiercer

1 Like

The Caine/Prihine choice wasn’t actually difficult at all for my mc. Only way he’d use another word is if you force a Caine/Trouble choice. Besides best not to let the Sheperds and their masters know he possesses that unique, if rather limited, “power”.

1 Like

:smiling_imp: Interesting…

The nice thing is you have the option to hide it from them for the whole game if you want!

5 Likes

11 Likes

By the way I’ve been wondering about something.
There was an option to run away from the demon and attack them without magic, yet why do you still get caught by inquisitors and the the shepherds if you did that?

1 Like

You were still a powerful enough Diminished to fight a demon on your own - the Autarchy doesn’t like that, and is quite happy to pretend you’ve done something illegal to get rid of the threat you pose. It’s explained in a later chapter but there’s something political going on with the Inquisitors behind the scenes, and they essentially act with total impugnity!

10 Likes

So basically it doesn’t matter if you use magic or not, just by having power and influence they already see you as a threat?
Also 2 more questions:
How large is the population of the diminished compared to Norms?
And are guns less effective against demon enemies?

2 Likes

I mean, you are a complete nobody stranger that fights off a demon by themselves so you’re definitely a potential threat, one that could cause a lot of destruction on their own, and in the crisis that may be the last thing they want.

4 Likes

Yup, if you’re a Diminished who’s just blown into town and you already have the skills (and courage) to face down a demon on your own, with magic or weapons, Autarchy no likey!

Guns in general are less effective against Endarkened, yes, though significantly more effective against other Diminished and Norms (even Mages aren’t usually fast enough to shield themselves from a bullet). Once you become a Shepherd, though, your bullets can become magically-enhanced and augmented in the same way that Trouble’s are.

I’d say the Diminished in Haven make up about a third of the population, with the rest being Norms. Throughout the Autarchy I’d say it’s 20-30%, with the Norm population becoming almost 100% the further west you go.

9 Likes

giphy%20(3)
SHHHH! You’re going to give Rinari ideas! angsty, sad ideas! Who am I kidding, I’m terribly mean to all my characters, I’d probably eat it up.

In all seriousness though, I don’t think there’s much that would give me reason to use words at all. I say this as a gamer, saving all of her resources as long as humanly possible, (I always hoard objects and resources in games, because “what if I really need it later.” I also always screw myself over doing so, relying on things like stats or even dumb luck and making everything eighty times more difficult than necessary.) and I say it from my characters’ perspective. The first time they used a word they ended up erasing basically their entire world at that point in their lives. Sure, things had kinda gone to hell at that point, but I still imagine that would have a huge effect on how they perceive their power. Even my MC’s confident in their magic are a little bit gun-shy.
So I’d say life or death or in order to prevent major disaster, avoiding something that might severely harm the Shepards, or maybe the country as a whole. Things of that scope

TL;DR
Not many characters of mine will rely on their words, except for in the worst emergencies

5 Likes

I was just kidding haha, I wouldn’t make you use two words of power on the poor boy! :sweat_smile: I can’t promise the same of other characters, though…

I do this, too! It’s why I have many different save files at different points in a game in case my hoarding has caused things to become disastrous by the end, and I can go back to some point near the beginning without starting over… I guess you can’t do that in this game, but your reasons for hoarding are understandable! For the MC specifically, too. There’s no telling what those pesky words will do sometimes! :thinking:

5 Likes

[hides Chase immediately]

I’m dumb when it comes to games. I just hoard things that look pretty.

Me playing DA:I: Ooooh, look at this Highever Weave, I wonder what I can do with this?
[finds out you can make the prettiest looking armor in the whole game, imp]
My dumbass: I MUST HOARD THIS AT ALL COSTS.

Seriously, I was less stingy with the dragon webbing.

But that’s just me. I’m an intensely visual person.

I believe it should be easier for me to spend these words on effects I really want, like saving my boi Caine, and my meal-ticket Prihine or like getting Chase and Riel to join me in the same playthrough, hehehe.
hmm, what’s that? specifically build my character to pass difficult stat checks instead of choosing the funniest options? …is that even legal?

7 Likes

You see? See!? This is exactly what I was talking about. Ideas! …The other shepards better know how much love their sorry butts

I figured you were kidding (twice in row would be a bit much) I’m just messing around, lol

Ahh yes, a close and familiar relative of “I don’t care that this armor is the second worst set in the entire game, it’s pretty, damnit!” And then you hoard resources and shiny things at the same time! And then you have no money! And you die! Constantly!

No, no it is not.

4 Likes

But you die with pretty armor!

6 Likes

I am also absolutely guilty of doing this.

I have to have the best looking armor at all costs

2 Likes

pssst, happy birthday!! :smiley: :birthday: :tada:

2 Likes

On the flip side, I won’t wear armor or use weapons that I find ugly, even if they’re the most powerful in the game.

I HAVE TO LOOK BEAUTIFUL WHEN I’M SAVING THE WORLD.

11 Likes

An art tab has been added to the OP of this thread! :slight_smile: There are missing character portraits because the characters of Lavinet, Riel, Shery, and Mimir didn’t exist when they were made, and the appearances of some characters has also changed over the years. (They were drawn over five years ago.) But they give a rough approximation for anyone curious. :slight_smile: There will be bonus character art cards you can unlock in the game if you max out a relationship - they better reflect what the characters look like now. They look like this:

22 Likes

C57556CD-A979-45A7-B6DE-AFA52AABB6A0

I can’t wait to unlock all of them, omg. :sob: I’m already ready to sell my time and soul to this game.

4 Likes

Ahhhhh!!! I REALLY LOVE THE DRAWINGS!! ESPECIALLY BLADE’S swoon.

Sorry for the all caps… XD

3 Likes