Shepherds of Haven (WIP) (DEMO UPDATE: 3 Aug 2021)

Fantasy Henry VIII, but with less boning

12 Likes

I can’t wait see all your hard work in this shepherds of haven to me most fun I seen this all year and hope see it coming out some day and can’t wait get see Ayla

1 Like

@rinari’s reblogging of those unable-to-be-mean-in-games people’s posts got me thinking…

It would be really cool, but also very unnecessarily code-intensive, if the game would track how often the MC is being nice/mean to NPCs, and offer a reaction when MC does otherwise. Like, if the MC is usually nice to and agrees with a certain NPC, but then suddenly lashes out at the same NPC, everyone knows something’s wrong.

8 Likes

Couldn’t that be tracked under compassion vs ruthlessness?

So if my generally compassionate MC is talking to someone and for some reason, my MC acts like a jerk, you’d want a reaction, right? (or vice versa) But no matter who it was, any npc would notice the change because my MC would be acting out of character. Is that what you mean? I’m not sure that’s really necessary outside of the main people the MC would deal with regularly.

Unless you are talking about tracking every npc, and then yes, that’s definitely too much and not worth it. You’d have to assign points and create stats for npcs, and then deciding who to create them with and who to not would be tedious…as well as it being a nightmare to keep track of.

6 Likes

That was what I was thinking! Otherwise maybe you could do like a point value thing where you track it, say you’ve chatted with NPCs twenty times and then (not real coding, obviously just to show)
*choice
#be an asshole
*if nicetonpc >15
“Is everything alright? You’re never like this” said Timmy Redshirt, confusedly.
*else
“Charming as ever Michealbobson.” Said Timmy Redshirt, angrily. V mad.

#be nice
If nicetonpc <5
“Since when are you polite to people?” Said Timmy Redshirt the expendable. “You’re the worst person in this game.”
*else
“You’re too nice.” Said Timmy Redshirt, because you were.

2 Likes

Yes, agreed, that would be a lot of work! There will be some situations where things like compassion are checked and commented on–if the MC has a high level of compassion, indicating that they’re consistently kind and caring, and then choose a ruthless action, some characters will act surprised–but it would be crazy to keep track of how often an MC is nice to a particular NPC just for an instance of disagreement to be commented on! :thinking: I think it’d be a lot of work for very specific instances to occur!

This all does remind me of another discussion we had a while ago in this thread about the “point” of having mean dialogue options or being allowed to play as an asshole character. :thinking: I personally like giving people the option to play different personalities (within reason) for different story experiences and narrative purposes. But according to CoG’s thinking (it seems), there shouldn’t ever be a reason to be an asshole to somebody unless it serves an actual “mechanical” purpose in the game (getting them angry on purpose so they’ll make a mistake, etc.).

What do you guys think?

7 Likes

while I would enjoy having asshole-type dialogue options that are for the sake of being an asshole and for roleplaying, ultimately you’re the author and it’s your decision to make

3 Likes

Having the option to be evil makes being nice feel more of a choice.

4 Likes

In theory and for RP purposes, it would be a good idea to have different choices as much as possible but it depend on your capability and your plan in the end. Does being a jerk would contribute a different ending? Will you be willing to do extra more scenes in relation to your chosen personality?

1 Like

Personally, I like to have both an asshole playthrough and an evil one, even if I get penalized for it (within reason). The CoG community itself seems to be evenly split between stat optimizers and roleplayers, so I think it’s something worth having.

2 Likes

I think it will depend on what’s the main focus the author wants to take with the game - whether the focus is on role-playing with personality and romance, or on using stats like strength/magic etc to pursue a goal.

If it’s the former, relationships will likely play a much larger role in the story so having those choices of acting like an ass will be more essential. Alternatively if relationships are of secondary importance, having these asshole choices will perhaps be not as important (though they will certainly make the story more fun)! :smiley:

4 Likes

There are brief reactions to different personalities and sometimes different scenes (the guard at Haven, for example, laughs at you if you try to be ruthless when you’re mostly compassionate). And yes, being a jerk (or “hated” by enough people) does lead to a different ending! :thinking: So I guess there is also a “purpose” to it other than having the freedom to be a jerk if you want!

Hmm, this is a good question! I’d like to say that ShoH is an even split: the characters and relationships/romance and story are very important to me, but stats will also be important in how the player gets through the game and what outcomes and endings will occur. But then, relationships will also greatly influence endings, too! :thinking: I guess in my heart of hearts, relationships and inhabiting the story/world are most important to my development of the game, so being able to “be who you want” (even if that’s an ass, lol) will be important, too! Probably even more so than stats. :slightly_smiling_face: I definitely want those to matter, but it won’t be a stat-heavy or grind-y game like the Lost Heir trilogy (which is among my favorites)–I think I’m aiming for my IF to be more novel-like experiences that drastically change with the player’s story choices and decisions!

12 Likes

These would be nice to see. I really like to see my MC’s shine through in different situation. Overall, I hope in my hearts that you will not get overwork with all the multiple personalities to be integrated with some scenes.

To be honest, I haven’t played as a jerk in my lifetime of gaming. I played Fallen Heroes and I still played as a reluctant villain. :joy: I have yet to see a CoG or HG game that are both character driven and stat dependent but this is might depend on an individual’s opinion or I haven’t read it yet.

Overall, I really hope you could bring more DA feel in ShOH! I got the DA vibe when I played ShOH after purchasing DA during the summer sale.

4 Likes

Ever heard of ‘jerk with a heart of gold’ ?
Well I like to play my MCs as massive frothting steel spiked dickbags with hearts made of gold studded with diamonds

So is it possible to be an asshole in dialogue but be excused from it because we help other people and such ?

3 Likes

Thank you for your concern! :grin: I will do my best to not overwork myself haha, and if it gets to be too much, I will definitely scale back to keep the story intact!

I’ve never played as a jerk either, haha! I get attached to characters and treat them like real people, so it’s hard for me to consider treating them badly! :joy: And yes, there’s definitely, definitely a Bioware influence, but I also want to keep it toned down as much as I can - I want to make ShoH my own game, as well! :slight_smile:

I mean, no, you can definitely play as a jerk with a heart of gold, but no one’s going to excuse you from it just for being charitable! :laughing: They will still react to you as if you’re being a jerk to them in that particular instance!

Summary

Blade: MC, I need you to–

MC: Fuck off, Blade.

Blade: wtf? that was completely unwarranted… well MC did save those orphans last week, so i guess it’s fine…

Blade: Okay, never mind. I’ll do it myself~

10 Likes

Ikr. My heart hurts when i try.

7 Likes

How can anyone bear to treat Blade anyone in ShOH badly :kissing:

7 Likes

if I going be jerk I will be smart one some if one is dumb is planing fight 9 demon by him self I will tell he going to die worst way

2 Likes

Hi, new fan here! Let me just say I adore this WIP so much I regret not playing it sooner!

I hope you don’t mind me asking a few questions and I apologize if they’ve been answered before.

How advanced is their technology? To what time period would you compare it? Are the guns similar to flintlocks or are they more similar to the modern ones?

Is it possible for one RO to have feelings for the MC even if they don’t feel the same? gotta prepare for the angst. it’s already angsty in just the demo.

Why did I lose relationship points with Trouble when I chose “No” when he asked if I remember him saying he was in a gang. He never told me so I said no.

Is there any art of the different kinds of demons? And also the different creatures, like the ahfuri? I’m just asking mostly because I can’t picture them lol.

What are the stat requirements to unlock these choices?
IMG_20180918_234419
(apparently, my blue light filter was on. sorry about that.)

3 Likes

Iirc revolvers do exist, they just aren’t common yet and only the vice guard and people with money own them

As for the rest of the technology, trains exist, and apparently there’s an airship being built. So I’d say technology is early 19th century-ish ?

3 Likes