Shepherds of Haven (WIP) (DEMO UPDATE: 3 Aug 2021)

Perhaps a poll? It seems everyone has mixed opinions. :grin:

But we’re not even sure how @rinari would even plan to implement such a feature.
I think we should wait and see, and not rush any decisions based on a description that is essentially “it’s like X only Y”.

2 Likes

Agree. I think if @rinari is still undecided but has ideas about how they might implement it, then a poll might be helpful.

Oh! I thought you were suggesting a yes/no poll for the feature at all, lol. I was like, ‘Damn son, we haven’t even seen it yet.’ :joy:

1 Like

I confuse myself a lot too. So, yeah… :sunglasses:

You have a point. Realistically speaking, some people are picky who their friends are. But it will turn off some people if the stat checks are too unreasonable.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind the stats giving a boost/penalty with our relationships (if it’s in character for them to judge people by these stats). That said, a hard stat-wall is not going to be fun.

3 Likes

Like most others have said, I sometimes use them, sometimes not. I tend to use them more often when I play through as a female, as I have a kind of set name I use for males in most games.

1 Like

Stat walls was one of the things that turned me off on the Lost Heir trilogy. I couldn’t earn positive relationship status just because of stat choices. That closes off many relationships before you even get going. Now I understand the occasional relationship boost being held behind a stat wall, but we should be able to overcome that and still complete the relationship, just making it more difficult.

5 Likes

Oh, totally. In the end, it really all comes down to implementation. So long as it doesn’t throw you out of the story and ruin immersion, go for it.

3 Likes

@rose-court “She” and “her” are fine! Thank you for your consideration! :slight_smile:

And thank you for your thoughtful feedback, everyone! I’ve decided against the stat-wall thing: it was just a random idea I thought of, but I decided that getting everyone is hard enough to begin with and I wouldn’t want to force players to make choices they normally wouldn’t just to stat-grind. Also, I want the interactions with characters to be as natural and organic as I can make them, and I can’t think of a good way for Riel to go "come back when you know about history you plebeian" without making people wonder why they would want to be friends with him in the first place (I wouldn’t!). So I won’t be doing that. :joy: But I appreciated the very thoughtful discussion!

(Also, yes, @rose-court was right, I meant it would be like you could recruit the characters in the main storyline but in their side stories/days off, they wouldn’t really be interested in spending time with you if you weren’t very smart, very charismatic, etc. Persona does this and I’m actually replaying just because I missed out on some relationships the first time because I didn’t level up my dexterity enough, so… I’m not sure why I was doing that and thought, ‘Maybe I should do this to other people!’ Incidentally, Tallys and Halek were originally race-locked, but I’ve changed that so that you just get big bonuses with them instead. So no characters behind walls after you recruit them.)

Another random question: how often do people use walkthroughs and romance guides in their gaming? I know I did to romance certain people in Dragon Age and Persona… Is that even a thing within the CoG sphere? Has a guide/walkthrough ever been needed/made for a game?

3 Likes

I know there are guides for some CoGs and HGs. XoR has one. I think because it is stat heavy. I remember Lost Heir series has one for stat builds.
To be honest though, I look into the game codes once I bought them after my first playthrough.

2 Likes

Easy, let there be a book bribe gift that we can buy. Doesn’t matter the genre, and it doesn’t have to have any use beyond this conversation, but it must be thicc, bby.
Then, let this conversation happen:

MC: Riel! I found the most interesting tome in the market today!

Riel: Mmm-hmm, may I guess…was it an illuminated manuscript of the alphabet? [chuckles softly]

MC: I don’t know, you tell me! [throws the book at Riel’s face]

Riel: [on the floor, coughing up blood] Touché, bitch.

+30bajillion Riel approval

All. The. Time.

Sten’s conversations are impossible for me to navigate, I can never remember all the puzzles in Halamshiral, and if I didn’t have a step-by-step walkthrough and map of the Deep Roads I would have starved to death long ago.

6 Likes

I usually read parts of the code of the game so I wouldn’t really need a walk-through I guess. When I tried the XoR one though, even the code in this game was so complicated with so much text and variables that I gave up on checking it and just let Breden manage the winter time.

And in general games if one part is too troublesome I’d look for a guide or even download a mod that makes it easier.
Like in Dragon Age Origins for example I found the fade mission way too troublesome so I just downloaded a mod that let me skip the mission altogether and still get the stat boosts, or in Inquisition I got a mod that let me open all Halla Doors in 1 playthrough.

3 Likes

[war flashbacks to the Fade]

Oh GOD, and here I thought I had successfully blocked my memory of the Fade after transitioning to the PCMasterRace and getting that same mod.

Thanks for the reminder… :cold_sweat:

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one who just noses her way into the code! I was starting to feel a bit like a cheater…which it still could be, but oh well. I’ve found my people.

I also think it doesn’t help that, since CoG is so small by comparison, there are hardly any walkthroughs beyond the ones for the most popular games.

3 Likes

Here is an idea, though I don’t know if it can work in the CScript, but after learning an individual’s trigger, ie Riel is a history nerd, do a stat check and give a bonus if you pass a certain high threshold. Don’t make it a requirement but a bonus that makes it easier to romance.

3 Likes

@rose-court There already is a gift system in place, actually! To help with those pesky story decisions that lessen a character’s approval, or to make up for a bonus that you might not have. :slight_smile: You can find gifts to buy for the characters in Chandry’s Ends and Oddities on your day off–but the one you might think a character will like may not actually be their preferred gift! :sweat_smile: I love the idea of Riel being bludgeoned into your friendship, though!

(Also, I didn’t think the Fade was actually that bad in DA:O. It’s the Deep Roads that kill me every time–probably the #1 reason that’s kept me from replaying DA:O for the tenth time!)

And hmm, since it seems like a lot of people tend to look at the code (which I’m fuzzy on how to do: you must be playing on PC, right? Does it work with Steam and CoG’s direct purchase?), it seems like guides don’t seem to be necessary. I’ve had to start writing a romance guide for myself while writing this monster, so take that as you will…

Also @2xs, that’s a great idea! I might just end up implementing that. It won’t block anyone off from romancing a character or befriending them, but it will give an approval/romance bonus in a few situations. Thanks for the idea! Should be fairly easy to code. :smile:

Small update: I realized today that I’m about 61,000 words (not counting code) into H+H, 70,000 if you’re also counting the glossary and codex. 25,000 of that is the prologue! I don’t know how that compares to other CoG games, but I’m counting on H+H being ten very long chapters, plus the prologue, plus an equal number of intermissions/days off for each of the eleven characters… Going will be slow, though, since I still have my novel to work on as well! Just wanted to update. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I’m not in favour of stat walls if they don’t make sense. An example would be Jacks friendship/romance in Mass Effect. I had to read a wiki to find out about her backround because I either played a female with a great friendship with Jack, or had not romanced her as a male. I’d have thought our friendship would have had her talking to me about her backround. That type of thing aside, colour me in favour of stat walls. I dislike being universally accepted just because I’m the MC. I don’t expect the bride girl to have my MC around for tea and scones, using the front entrance no less, just because I saved her life. Her type of gratitude, via Caine, and a bit of gold plus a favour, is what I do expect.

I usually run with pre-given names, such as the ones you’ve thought of, mostly because they suit and seem specific to the world that’s been built, and I liked them. I only pick my own if the choice of names are the same as people in my RL. I come from a really big family!

1 Like

yeah, I can’t say I ever have looked up a romance guide, but if I’m wondering like, “hey, does killing this guy who Ms X hates close her romance?” then I’ll occasionally look up a guide.

Also, com’on guys, am I the only one that enjoyed the deep roads? I loved exploring them :<

and @rinari you can only look at code if the game is hosted on dashingdon, as far as I’m aware. You essentially just fiddle with the demo link and it’ll send you to the scenes and codes depending what you put in.
If you’re wondering, here’s a thread on how people can see code of games.

2 Likes

Actually, if you paid for the game and email COG your receipt along with a request, they’ll let you see the code, I believe by giving you access to the version on the COG webstore? I’m not 100% certain.

I’m planning on doing this for Wayhaven Chronicles. I can come back and confirm what you’d need to do if anyone is interested.