Shepherds of Haven (WIP) (DEMO UPDATE: 3 Aug 2021)

Like what @GuardsmanTheMad said, while this would be nice, it is not a deal breaker for me.

I almost always play through the first time and let the chips fall where they will, but after that it definitely gets annoying to have to redo a whole story if you make one mistake in going for the playthrough you want on the succeeding times.

2 Likes

I also tend to let things go in the first playthrough; however, sometimes I have accidentally clicked ahead or the choice that I thought meant one thing was another, and that can ruin the fun for me. I’m not one to let things go like that, so being able to reload would be fantastic, even on a first run.

3 Likes

I’m probably going to be in the vast minority here but I prefer to be able to save whenever I want too. Simply because all my devices are weird and will completely reset games when I close them unless there is a save file. And while I do like having long books. Only having a handful of save spots would frustrate the hell out of me.
Compromise would be every chapter I guess. But I still don’t want to vote in that particular poll.

The redoing chapters thing would be okay I guess. Worse case scenario is I just restart the whole book.

The NG+ System is definitely a yes from me.

5 Likes

Unfortunate for those who want to save anytime because I know it is not possible once it is release.

3 Likes

Yes, unfortunately as @resuri08 said, it’s actually currently impossible to save anywhere in the game like the WIPs on Dashingdon have! :persevere: Otherwise I would do that in a heartbeat, no questions asked. Unfortunately that uses @CJW’s third-party plug in, which can’t be used when publishing through CoG or HG. So the only alternative is to code a save system myself for the final version! That’s why I wanted to get a feel for everybody felt about it. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Ohhh save systems Now I can be mean to people with no consequence :3 in all seriousness save systems (no matter what they are) are always nice in a choice game! I mostly just want one because I always try to get my ideal ending after the 1st playthrough and having to restart the game completely when I mess up can get a bit tedious :sweat_smile:
Edit: Also I think having one after character creation would be great even if nothing significant has happened so if someone has to restart near the beginning they don’t have to go through it all the time :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I was thinking of this, too! Probably the number one thing people would want to skip is the prologue/character creation, especially when it’s super spaced out like in ShoH… I’ll see how many checkpoints I’ll feel up to coding, but definitely right after joining the Shepherds is going to be one of them!

11 Likes

Save systems will be nice, although they aren’t something I’d miss that much if they’re too hard to code.

A checkpoint before major stat checks that will greatly influence the game’s outcome/the fate of NPCs will be nice! Sometimes I accidentally click the wrong choice in a playthrough, and I’m still not immune to the pain of replaying to rectify that mistake :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Ugh I was already torn between Blade and Trouble after reading the demo several times, but after reading most of the asks on Tumblr, Red has certainly caught my attention! Thank god for multiple playthroughs, I won’t have to choose between them lol!

Trouble kinda reminds me of Thor tbh :laughing:

2 Likes

Thor haha?! I wouldn’t have expected that! :laughing:

And yessss replay for those different character routes/romances, that’s exactly what I want! :smiling_imp:

I’ve decided that after the MC recruits all of the characters, players will receive two days off between chapters to allow for more time to get to know some of them. :slightly_smiling_face: My reasoning being that if there are more recruits in the Order, the MC has more time to take time off haha!

13 Likes

Proceeds to ignore everyone else, but their LI.

8 Likes

This makes me SO happy!

Since time plays a factor in your game, it made me a little worried that I wouldn’t really get to know the other characters and that I would have to pick and choose on different playthroughs who I would like to get to know really well while having to ignore the others.

4 Likes

It’ll probably just end up being Halik, Lavinet, Ayla and Tallys I’ll talk to. Also Mimir, cause she sounds fun.

2 Likes

I’m so glad, haha! :grin:

I figured this would happen, and I didn’t want to risk someone not replaying and missing out on some interesting character paths! This way you still have a little pick-and-choose element (two full days means having time to hang with everybody if you want, but at the cost of training unless you leave one or two out), but I’m hoping it will help the players feel even more integrated into the Order and more attached to the NPCs and what happens to them! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Can I make a Wonder Woman like Mage raised by the Ket who doesn’t rely on magic except for boosting her strength? She’ll probably romance Blade, but like the completey dominant one.

13 Likes

God I love that picture and that ship

And yes, you can get through the game without having to rely on your magic at all, though it’ll be like playing on nightmare mode lol! But yeah, totally possible, though probably quite difficult!

6 Likes

WonderBats unite!

Are there Strength or durability boosting spells we have, which would probably be the only one she’ll use?

8 Likes

Yes, definitely! Battle-magic (or astral magic in the training section) enables strength and weapons-boosting skills!

5 Likes

Great thanks! :grin:

2 Likes

Wonder Woman +Batman has been my ship for years! :heart:

@rinari A while ago you said you were making some changes to the game overall. I was wondering how different it would feel to the demo (in its current state). A complete overhaul? Minor tweaking? Too early to tell because you’re dealing with your editing, so leave you the hell alone? :wink:

4 Likes