Shepherds of Haven (WIP) (DEMO UPDATE: 3 Aug 2021)

Using a Word doesn’t necessarily cause you to catch the Inquisitor’s eye: it’s being a strong enough Diminished to take on a demon in any way that makes them feel threatened! If you can take out a demon, what else can you take out? So it’s either join the Shepherds and (safely) be under the Autarchy’s eye… or be eliminated as a threat!

Also, no, it’s not possible to not join the Shepherds. :slight_smile: That’s why it’s called Shepherds of Haven!

5 Likes

You get executed if you refuse…

1 Like

Yeah…shoulda seen in the title :slight_smile:. So basically you can’t use magic, you can’t use strength, you can’ t even use norm weapons(unless you are a norm of course). Are the norm REALLY that afraid of anyone? I wanted to save the world, but now I just want to kick inquisitors in the bollocks

Where did you get that gif?? :joy:

Anyway, I know I’m very late to the discussion but I’m happy we will have mean dialogue options. Even if it’s extremely hard for me to pick them, they can be highly amusing.

Me during my evil-playthrough.

rr

3 Likes

I was reffering to a situation in which you don’t use magic, so that the inquisitors don’t bother you with stupid feces(heard this forun is family friendly, also i believe the moderators still spy my messages)

They still arrest you W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶c̶u̶n̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶m̶i̶r̶i̶t̶e̶?̶
And I think swearing is ok

1 Like

Stalin looks like a saint compared to those guys
You : exist
Autarchy : TRIGGERED
Hope I didn’t hit the bottom of the barrel

2 Likes

I did that a Looooong time ago with my memes, it’s ok

2 Likes

Through comments I noticed scenes or somethong? I mean they we’re categorized as spoilers(example: dialogue when hirin Chase). Are those from beta testing or they are just conceptual(not introduced yet) or are they from the Trouble following path?(I played once the Talys path, never actually took Trouble path)

Are you talking about tumblr asks? Because yeah, most of the ROs haven’t been introduced yet

I dunno for sure…

Tally certainly is interested in doing some exploring Mage MC’s elf origins (insert waggling eyebrows here). :laughing:

3 Likes

Your game reminded me of an idea of a stat (because your game is awesome)that I thought long forgotten(most stats are simple, and that’s okay, too many stats and too complicated kinda makes the statchecks spread thin), that being extertion for physical(bodily attributes, such as strength agility etc; not sure i spelled the word correct) and psyche(the dictionary didn’t a badass sounding name for this; or maybe it could be just willpower for both) which affects intelligence charisma etc(it may not make total sense tho, because you can’t be more charismatic on the spot if you really really want to, or more agile).
The concept is simple : these stats increase your overall gain of stats(you push yourself harder when training). Let’s say, your agility gain is agility+5%agility+(extertion divided by a number)%agility instead of a standard 5%agility gain(from what i remember, procentile gains are diminished by having large amounts of the said stat). Psyche would be for mental gain.
Also these stats would provide boosts(example : you have 15% strength and you need 18% str for a succesful check, well then you will overexert yourself for the extra strength; this could incur a strength penalty but a large exertion gain -in order to counter the strength loss- however this would cover small gaps; it should occur automatically) the problem is you can’t become more agile just because you want, so exertion falls short there, and for charisma(you could rack your brain for the solution of a problem tho). As far as I can remember, almost no CoG uses willpower as a stat, and I just thought it was a kinda cool stat. Any thoughts about it?
Edit : the trouble may be coding this
Edit 2 : you would gain this stat(s) by succesful statchecks and lose it by unsuccesful statchecks(because you become motivated; i dunno its just an concept, tho gaining it by winning will have balancing problems; seems kinda hard to be implemented and not turn the MC op; unless you gain it ocassionally; i dunno)
Any suggestion?

Shepards. Commander Shepard. Shepard-Commander. The Shepards.

gasp

I’ve figured it out!! The MC is the lovechild of Robin and Commander Shepard!! After he jumps into the green ray of light, he doesn’t die but gets teleported to Robin’s world. Together, they use Robin’s magic to teleport themselves to the MC’s world of Haven. I’ve done it. I’ve finally solved the mystery.

4 Likes

Am I mistaken if I say the Endarkened give me a lovecraftian vibe? You described some of them in a visceral manner.

1 Like

There hasn’t been any beta testing (yet)! Depending on what you’re talking about, they could just be jokes I was making at the time or they could be real spoilers from parts of the games that I’ve written but which I haven’t posted anywhere yet!

Yeah, this is an interesting concept, but I think really complicated to implement when a simpler system works pretty well! I will say there are invisible stats that are sort of similar to exertion/willpower/agility/strength/psyche: strength is modified by additional stats like weapon skills, and magic is modified by personality traits (like charisma) + magic affinities (psionic, arcane, or astral)!

Hmm, I never really thought of Lovecraft when I was thinking of the Endarkened, but I could see where you get that from! I would say my primary inspiration for them came from sources like Mercedes Lackey’s books and the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud!

:open_mouth: And that’s why the MC’s parents are unknown… because Robin and Shepard went back to their own worlds… :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

3 Likes

I’m asking because anything lovecraftian reminds me of darkest dungeon and the INCREDIBLE NARRATOR and his INCREDIBLE QUOTES. If you haven’t played it yet it’s not too late. Also I’m not sure I follow your lead when it comes to foreign literature; would you kindly give me a little background on Mercedes Lackey and that Bartimeus trilogy? Pwease?(the only foreign literature I’ve read are CoG)
Edit : people clearly say that Blade is more like Sasuke, but in fact he is more like the Ancestor after he died

Ah, my partner just got Darkest Dungeon for his Switch, I’ll have to check it out! :slight_smile: And Mercedes Lackey is a fantasy writer who has been around for a long time: she was mentored by some of my favorite writers and is one of the pillars of modern fantasy writing (in my opinion), preceding writers like Brandon Sanderson or Patrick Rothfuss. You can find her (vast) bibliography here!

The Bartimaeus series is a series of books set in an alternate-history London where magicians control the government and commoners (non-magical folks) are sort of downtrodden (though they are unaware of the existence of magic). The secret to the magicians’ power (unbeknownst to everyone else) is their use of djinn, or “demons,” and the series is narrated by Bartimaeus, a sarcastic djinni who finds himself enslaved by an arrogant 12-year-old magician. It’s definitely on the YA-side of things but was one of my favorite books growing up! It talks a lot about the hierarchy of demons and a demonic culture that I found very interesting!

2 Likes

Hmm…interesting.
Mercedes describes the Endarkened as tainted elves that use powerful magic fueled by pain and sorrow. I believe she used the term powerful magic when describing the High Mages…does this mean that on average the Endarkened are stronger than expected? The one that attacked the village kinda killed the whole village in 2-3 swings, however the church Endarkened seemed kinda lame(weak) because we beat em with regular weapons fairly easy. Are there more “species” of Endarkened?
Edit : why when it comes to magic, people always place in Britain their narrative?

Because Britain is the home of all the world’s magic? :confused: I mean… obviously? :mage::uk:

It’s not like any other culture has any kind of stories and legends involving magic. :roll_eyes: (Just to be clear: this is sarcasm. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

3 Likes