Shepherds of Haven (WIP) (DEMO UPDATE: 3 Aug 2021)

She… Does?

1 Like

I already said Tallys my main Romance friend.
QQ_Photo20180722193530

4 Likes

Hey I’m glad my rant made you happy/encouraged you. I was worried what I said about the autarch and fascists in general the wrong way, and think I was being condescending or something(i’m bad at words). That reason I think I really connected with the material so to speak(besides the good writing style) was how the game portrays the characters in a way the accurately parallels discrimination real life minorities face. As a bi person with a fucked gender playing as a character who was seen as inherently adult, dangerous, and profane. As well as the narrative giving me the sense I was feeling the constant pressure to conform to society and assimilate, but you cannot assimilate no matter how hard you try because you cannot chose certain things about yourself. Certain invisible things that cannot change. Well to summarize let’s just say that at one point i’m pretty sure my soul became solid and left my body. Ugh I could go on a whole nother rant about the real life parallels in this game and how the autarchy compares to real life reactionaries/fascists but you are still probably reeling from the last one.

1 Like

tru

She do.

3 Likes

I’m an insomniac too this last week I got a total of 11 hours of sleep last week

1 Like

Speaking of that meme, this is a question that’s been bugging my mind.
How does the general population believe the autarch is keeping demons at bay (if she is) ?
And if she’s doing it by magic wouldn’t it be hypocritical to opress mages in the name of a mage, or is it a case of “dude, it’s totally not the same” ?

3 Likes

The general population knows about the Shepherds and that they’re an army of Diminished. (It’s in the newspaper in the codex and people argue about it a ton around the MC when they first arrive.) Some people, like Caine and his new master, think it’s a good idea (though some just think that it’s a good way to preserve Norm lives by putting Diminished in the front lines). The majority are freaking out about Diminished running around using their magic/powers, and are only uneasily assured by authorities that the Autarch has it allll under control and that the Diminished will obey her absolutely, so there’s nothing to fear. It’s propagandized as a “magic is bad except when we use it for our own gain in a controlled environment”—and it’s widespread knowledge that the Autarch has Mages of her own in court. If you get close to Prihine, she has her own conspiracy theory on why the Diminished are chosen to be Shepherds, which is what a lot of Norms tell themselves to feel better!

6 Likes

So, a case of “dude, it’s totally not the same” ? Most interesting :thinking:

1 Like

https://shepherds-of-haven.tumblr.com/post/176208752156/

Endgame:

Chandry: If all Wibbles are Criggles, all Borkins are Kwumblins, no Hoggles are Borkins, and all Criggles are Borkins, is it true that all Borkins are Criggles?

MC:

#isitworththediscount

9 Likes

First off there’s no connecting line to say whether or not all Borkins are Criggles. Secondly, does Chandry ask all of his visitors stuff like this or does he just like screwing with the MC in particular? Like, is there a cheat sheet in the back room? Is this some form of diminished-ism? 'Cause I don’t know about everyone else but I’m feeling persecuted.

3 Likes

Interesting! I love the riddle part in the Dragon Age Origins since I was able to answer correctly without resorting to the internet! Looking forward to those questions but some people don’t like that kind of hassle. :joy:

1 Like

He treats everyone like this, but they put up with it for his excellent wares (sort of like the soup Nazi in Seinfeld?)! If you manage to recruit Riel, who’s leader of the Merchants’ Guild, he’ll get Chandry in line so you always get a discount, no matter what your answers are. :joy:

@resuri08 There were riddles in DA:O? I played it a lot but I can’t remember where they would have appeared lol!

4 Likes

It was during the Urn of Andraste quest in the Ruin Temple. =) I hope Chandry’s riddle are not too difficult, I really want those discounts!

1 Like

Giving us riddles is fine.

BUT MAKING US DO CALCULUS!?

you-monster-gif-4

17 Likes

The answer is false

4 Likes

NOT TO BE A SMART-ASS BUT

No. Because all Borkins are Kwumblins, they can’t be Criggles. Unless all Kwumblins are Criggles. Which is information we don’t have. I’m assuming they aren’t…
Are they? :thinking:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure not! :thinking: I’M BAD WITH WORD PROBLEMS BUT THE INTERNET SAYS THE ANSWER IS “NO”

8 Likes

I can’t tell if my initial reaction was this
comment_jMHpZHiKgJHIiFL8CfA62keIYaLRSWUe

Or this
unnamed%20(11)

But my MC’s reaction will definitely be this

8 Likes

Maybe? :confused: I mean, if the terms are synonymous, then yes, but if Criggle is a subset of Borkin, then no. :neutral_face: We don’t have enough information to say either way. :man_shrugging: Unless it’s a wordplay rather than strict set theory. :thinking:

I don’t really like the idea of riddles in CS. Firstly, it’s not going to be easy to get the player to choose the right answer, because either you’ll have to have a list of potential answers (which would make the right one far more obvious), or you’ll have to have it as *input_text, in which case you’ll either have to accept dozens of synonyms or you’ll end up with only one correct answer while answers that aren’t worded exactly right will fail.

Also, it means that it’s testing the player’s intelligence, rather than the MC’s, which kinda goes against the point of IF. I mean, I don’t have to know magic for my MC to cast spells, do I?

So, now, in order to save your RO from certain death (and everyone else), you have to tell me… what is the integral of ∫2x dx between 0 and 2…? :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I don’t think they’ll be real riddles necessarily; more like learning how to navigate Chandry’s quirks throughout the game. :stuck_out_tongue: Sometimes the real answers won’t even net you as many points as something else; and the real answer to the ghost riddle doesn’t even appear unless the player has high intelligence, so it does test the MC’s stats at one point at least!

4 Likes