Sexuality and NPCs

I made a post in the Interest Check Thread about this already, but I thought posting here would give me a wider range of opinions so that I could decide what I want for my game (Forgotten. - v0.113 // A mental health focused mercenary story. Updated: 20th of August), early enough that I don’t have to change anything in current/future characters.

Anyhow, I’ve noted that in a lot of CoGs NPC sexuality is entirely based on the MC’s gender. Whilst there’s nothing wrong with that, of course, I’ve always thought that it makes NPCs appear less lifelike; just characters that revolve around the MC. For my story, in particular, I’m considering making my romanceable characters’ sexualities affect gameplay - e.g a gay NPC would not be romanceable if the MC was of the opposite gender.

I think this will add a layer of added depth to the characters, but at the same time, I feel like it could possibly alienate users, as different gender options may lock out romance paths with NPCs. I don’t really mind not making NPC sexuality in-game ‘canon’ (as I already have my characters sexualities in mind), but I think it might be nice to include such a thing if people don’t oppose such a thing. Thoughts?

17 Likes