Setbacks in writing/coding - how do you get over them?

I keep all my CS stuff (among other things) on DropBox. When I write/code, I might do it on my laptop, my wife’s laptop, the library pc, or the college pc. I normally have DropBox open on my own laptop, but will sometimes go to the DB website when I’m on one of the pc’s (I feel funny downloading & opening DB on a public computer, but going to directly to the website doesn’t bother me).

So the last time I wrote/coded was at the college, where I went to the website and got my files. And then I forgot to re-upload them when I was done (thinking I was in DB). And I didn’t realize this until a day or two later when I used my own laptop & found I didn’t have any of the new stuff I wrote/coded.

[insert your own favorite swear word here]

So I’ve been aggravated ever since because I felt like I wrote/coded some good stuff, and it irks me to no end that I’ve gotta do it over again. Anyone else go through this? How do you eventually get back on it? I wish it were as easy for me as “just do it.”

I once deleted about 8000 words and i couldnt get them back…

I tell myself it’ll be twice as fast to write it this time, because I know where it’s going…

…but, I mean, basically it just really sucks. Condolences, man.

I don’t think it would bother me so much if it were just writing…its more the fact that I’m still new to coding.

Thanks for the condolences.

Generally? I save after every completed sentence and back my work up in three different directories. Every time I lose data (last time was to my laptop dying), I come up with a new precaution to prevent it, and I tell myself that even though I may have lost work *this* time, I’ll never lose it in the way that I did *ever again*.

I sat in my room and cried when I lost my work. But I don’t think that’s the answer you’re looking for…?

BD

It really does suck when this happens, and unfortunately there isn’t a lot you can do about it. It’s happened to me a couple of times before I was wise enough to make backups/use Drop Box. I either smash something out and acknowledge that it will never be as good as what I originally wrote, or work on something else until I get the inspiration to write that scene again (and by then, I may have come up with better ideas for it anyway).

And @P0RT3R wins for making me feel better about my own situation, by making me feel bad for his/hers (sorry, don’t know your gender).

Seriously, my heart just sank for you when I read “8000 words.”

I usually call my netbook [words I shouldn’t write here] and don’t work on that game for a week or so, when I’ve already forgotten what I coded, so I can avoid the feeling that what I write this time in not as good as the lost code.

Redid some of it today, lost more than I realized but at least now I don’t feel as bad about it…8000 words is gonna haunt me for a while.

I lost a game I was working on for the contest in February. It was a good thing though, since the game I was working on wasn’t as good as the one I eventually made.

Your game will be better next time around. Not only that but you’ll get better and quicker at coding since repetition is a great way to learn things.

I’ve written the same thing several times thanks to my memory. It’s not quite the same thing but it is frustrating to feel like I’ve finished some work only to realise I already did it. :slight_smile:

At least you’ve learned to back up your work so you won’t have the same problem again.

The rewrites are usually better, but it’s very annoying to have to do it.