September 2022's Writer Support Thread

I know, right!?

And belatedly, I really enjoyed the song/video you shared – thanks for that!

3 Likes

Don’t thank me, thank cami-cat, who’s great. So’s her occasional collaborator, the other YouTube singer I follow, Annapantsu.

4 Likes

Just discovered than Ai writes better than me. :frowning:

2 Likes

Nobody writes puking ninjas better than AI, though. Don’t be too hard on yourself.

5 Likes

Spew Jutsu.

8 Likes

Anyone else here ever take social media breaks to help you focus on writing (or just for general mental health)?

Yesterday I deleted Twitter, Reddit, FB, off of my phone with the intent of not reinstalling them until at least Oct 1st. Surely it will help me crank out at least a few thousand more words.

12 Likes

Social media stresses me out so much that I haven’t used Facebook for years, and never really used any other social media, either; but I remember that I needed long breaks from such things when I used it, to be more productive. (Edit: and for my mental health. Perhaps for that, first and foremost.)

Sounds like a good idea! Good luck.

5 Likes

I do that every so often and it usually improves my writing focus as well as wellbeing. Twitter is the hardest, because I feel a lot of pressure to keep abreast of gamedev social media, but annoyingly it’s also the easiest to fall into a time sink with and see stuff that’s worse for mental health. I try to mute judiciously, but recently discovered that there’s a limit to how many words/phrases you can mute… Talking about it now, it seems obvious that I could do with a break!

8 Likes

I never had social media to begin with

4 Likes

I only have discord. And i believe that social media is too toxic to be worthy. But in my cass is different from all of you successful writers, nobody wants to read or asking me questions

3 Likes

I certainly find it a struggle to stop myself from peeking at the internet when I should be writing, but if it wasn’t social media it would just end up being another website: distraction is distraction as far as my brain’s concerned :woman_shrugging:t4:

But! I’m exceptionally close to finishing the first chapter of my new Heart’s Choice. Hopefully I’ll be sending that off by the end of this week, only a week past than a fairly ambitious deadline (I don’t think I’ve ever managed to write a chapter in one month…)

10 Likes

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: I take breaks from: social media, news, and gaming industry specific media.

Focusing on research only internet use, helps a lot at times.

6 Likes

Yep! It’s not really a net win if someone replaces those social media time sinks with…new time sinks (fantasy football, I’m looking at you!). When I find myself grabbing for my phone, I’m trying to rewire my brain for the next couple of weeks to reach for my laptop and type 200-300 words instead.

8 Likes

Well, I’ve had a busy couple of months, but I’m getting into the swing of things again, just in time for the Hebrew new year. So here’s to beginnings, I guess.

5 Likes