Seasons of the Moon: Part One (UPDATED: 6/30/21) WIP

Oh, that sounds very cool! Even if that wouldn’t be relevant for me cause cambion :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Will cambions also have variety of designs in one way or another?

2 Likes

Hmmm… I would like to do something like that with all of the MC’s race choices. Just so they when they slip into the darker side there will be some form of change, instead of them remaining wholly human by design. :grinning:

6 Likes

Aw, no changes for nice MCs?

1 Like

So, you actually added cambion as a species, I believe someone asked about 'em in your tumblr, a were/vamp hybrid? Dude, that something I didn’t hear in a long time, and you know take it easy with your book, you surely had some serious conflicts with it, but happens sometimes, I can relate… kinda, other authors have really felt that frustrating feeling, but don’t worry, soon enough you’ll find the path your want for your proyect, I’m sure of it, the best of wishes.

3 Likes

I’m a simple guy. I’ll take whatever ‘beings’ are introduced. What I’m truly interested about is the internal conflict and turmoil between the MC’s human nature and their true nature. And, also, how they deal with it. Hoooo boi, better grab some popcorn. :beers:

5 Likes

I’m sorry, I worded this wrong. By darker side I meant if they were mad/dealing with a powerful enemy. All MC’s nice or mean will be capable of the transformation! :blush:

Thanks for saying that. I had become insanely critical over my lack of experience when writing in such a way, I was no longer having fun. Something that started as a hobby turned into a job. I felt like no matter what I was doing, my writing wasn’t good enough to be viewed, and I hated it. It’s an awful feeling, one that I am working past and now learning to try and ignore going forward. I want to renew that place I had before, when I started, about enjoying falling into a new universe instead of focusing on everything that needed to be better. :blush:

Lol. I’m really hoping to eat popcorn too! Thank you for sticking alongside me on this ride of up and downs and often nowheres! :sweat_smile::joy:

8 Likes

I recently had this idea of adding the previous MC, who is a nephilim, as part of the crew who works at the Howling Moon and lives in Moonvale. They would obviously still be bound to the demon M as a character and have one of the backgrounds be a default. I would not make them an RO but like a best friend character, perhaps? Is this something that would interest you? I’m kind of curious if the player should be able to set their gender or just have them be a default gender? Any ideas on that? If not, I’m just going to run wild with that idea!

11 Likes

Hmm… If I’m to be sincere, I wouldn’t like that, because I’d get the impression the new MC is “stealing” what was supposed to be their role in the story. It’s a bit of a similar thing to me having trouble replaying in different ways, I guess :thinking:
But if you do include it, it won’t prevent me from playing.

Edit: forgot to answer to that part, but I dunno about the gender. Since I really don’t like the idea I have a hard time deciding what would be more palatable to me :rofl:
On one hand them having a different gender would help in having a disconnect and seeing them as a different character but it would make me like them less overall since it would weird me out, on the other hand having them the same gender would make me like them more as it is, but would increase my uneasiness about them being “replaced” by my new MC. Soo… yeah, even if it was in my hands, I wouldn’t know what to pick. :woman_shrugging:

But you saying one of the backgrounds would be the default makes me realize that must mean these backgrounds won’t be a thing anymore for the new MC? That is actually what makes me the saddest (or well, the only thing that makes me sad) about the new version, now that I know. The background about the MC running from an abusive relationship is SUCH an unique thing - I actually NEVER saw that in any other game, so I’m sad it won’t be there anymore (as an option for the new MC, that’s it).

3 Likes

If you’re thinking of putting the previous MC in as a best friend of the new MC, personally i think that’s an awesome idea. Perhaps they can be the new MC’s guardian angel or as a mentor of the MC. If they are still bound to the demon, you could add that it happened to them in the past and as they have already been through it they could help MC through the curse.

4 Likes

Also, on gender, if it’s just a best friend I think we should leave that to your discretion. After all, you created them.

4 Likes

Adding the previous MC as literally “the previous MC” wouldn’t feel right to me either. It’s not like we got to experience the full extent of their story, but even so, if such a character is presented less like an original, and more like an insert of the prior MC, there would be a disconnect where the reader goes “that’s not the character I started building/bonding with”… That’s not to say the root of your idea is bad; treating them like their own thing, and not considering them the previous MC at all would be the better way to look at it. :thinking:

So as far as wording goes, they aren’t technically the old nephilim MC at all. Not from a reader’s personal canon pov. But they would be an original character you want in your narrative. The question to be asked is–aside from being a ‘friend’ to the MC in your new story, what other function do they have? What’s their role? Anything tacked on for the sake of it usually ends up being more work than a whim is owed, especially in IF. :balance_scale:

6 Likes

I’m always interested to see how the story goes. :beers:Keep up the good work.

As for the old MC, hmmm, I’m torn. Obviously my doubts coincide with what @Konoi and @LadyUmbreon89 pointed out.
But I also can see the appeal of the old MC as a NPC who’s not an RO. It really gives me the idea of a mysterious sage like character who doesn’t have their hands in the cookie jar, but have full idea of what’s going on, on the plot field and drop in and provide some hints and warnings here and there. From this avenue, I think it can be really exploited. Moreover, things will get more spicy if, they don’t necessarily be our friend , since they’re not an RO, they typically don’t have to. Who knows what the mysterious stranger who echoes with our new MC and is more similar to them than they think, got up their sleeves? Where does their loyalties lie, if they have any loyalties, that is .

4 Likes

That is correct. Given that the new MC’s background is set with them being born as a test subject, there’s really nothing to pull from there. It makes me a little sad to see it go as well because in role playing games, I love the idea of the background history and being able to immerse myself deeper with what’s been given to me. It’s a bit of a trade off in exchange… you do get to select the MC’s race. I know it’s not the same but there’s still choice there!

I get that sooo much which is why I was rather inky about the suggestion. At the same time, it gives the story an entirely new POV and a fresh layer of paint to work with. The things that happened to the old character, which would have already happened to them, sets them into the universe with their own going ons and they become an unknown. The biggest plus for me is being able to keep hold of a character who would have been entirely scrapped otherwise. I really appreciate the amount of detail you put in your responses and helping give me much to consider. It’s always great to hear what you have to say! :blush:

I’m glad you think so. One thing I do enjoy about the friend idea is a character that’s not player sexual. There’s a lot of roles that could be filled with the interactions between the two and a lot of mystery. Thanks! :blush:

You are exactly spot on in all that you’ve said. The character itself should be of their own mindset and a set gender. I intend to create someone who has their own life and story but I do want to keep what happened previously to them as their way into the world. You have given me much to think about and consider when moving forward. I’ll see where it takes me! :blush:

I love that! I think that’s a really fun idea to roll with. I have much to think about when it comes down to the possibilities of what can be done with them. Thank you so much! :blush:

9 Likes

Does anyone know when the new update is? Also is the story changing with new mc?

1 Like

Hmm at least it’s one of my favorite… eh… background tropes? Like, ever? So that sweetens the deal :rofl:
Still don’t know if I’ll basically make the same character or not though - both option would bother me… I guess I’ll see when I can start playing.

2 Likes

The story is changing with a new MC. As for the update, it’ll be a bit before it’s done. I don’t want to set a date since I’ve been having difficulty having time to write. I also must revise the entire stat menu. Thanks for the ask! :blush:

We will both see. :joy: I may post something of what’s kind of happening beforehand if it’s taking too long to put everything together. As of right now, I have everything worked out in my brain. Once you get writing, and since I’m not rushing anymore, who knows what maybe subject to change? I don’t want to push something out until I’m 100% happy with it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

I just thought I would share something I posted on tumblr. I’ve honestly missed the group’s interactions so much since I haven’t been writing them at all lately and instead have been focusing on other stuff. I hope you enjoy a sample of the new version’s startup!

Male RO version:

If there’s one thing Trent hated more than people—it was a graveyard full of dead people.

With his overly sensitive nose crinkled with distain, he’s barely able to stomach the stench of decay amongst the other rotten smells of mold and mildew. He stands with his pale hands covering his face in a make shift gas mask. “Can we hurry the fuck up?” he grouches, his voice muffled as he shuffles in place, slightly uneasy.

It’s not a plea.

Pleading would never be a part of his vocabulary. Neither would begging or bargaining; instead, his main focus had been better set toward making demands. And… at the current moment, he’d become rather insistent—because if he was expected to stay here another lousy second; he was either going to lose his mind, or shift and book it on all fours.

“Can you shut up? Ten seconds of silence—no bitching. That’s all I wanna hear.” His brother, Taj, snaps from his position, seated on the ground. He brushes his freshly styled blonde hair back with a withering sigh of annoyance. Taj was just about at his breaking point, and only one hour had passed. He hated bringing Trent along on anything, especially when they were stuck having to play the quiet game before a hunt.

“I’ve already wasted an hour of my life, rotting away with the other corpses. It’s not going t—” Trent raises his nose to the air, pulling his hands away from his face, and sniffing through the assorted foul smells that cloud the graveyard—only to focus on one in particular. Something heady and masculine—made to cover up the more than toxic reek of chemicals, a hair product of some kind.

“What the—?” he halts his complaint to shift into a more disapproving scowl. It’s an expression that always has a permanent residence on his otherwise handsome face. “Did you seriously style your hair before heading here?”

Taj chuckles at the comment, unashamed of his need to always look good. Taj flicks an ant off his pant leg with a hard thump from his tan fingers. “I like to be ready for whoever may come along.” He winks over at his raven haired sibling, giving a lop-sided grin that is met with a low growl of frustration.

“I’ll never understand, you goddamn human.”

At this, the other man, who thus far had remained silent, laughs in a low throaty rumble. Gable is cloaked by the shadows of the towering oak tree he leans against, his whole being seeming to bathe under the darkness of the night with a welcoming embrace. It was something the easygoing vampire had a special knack for. “I told you the hair was pushing it,” he quietly murmurs, an amused smile gracing his face. “But the two of you should both hush if we’re ever going to get the upper hand on this thing.”

Trent scoffs in response, turning on his booted heels to trudge further along, deeper within the isolated woods and away from his pack.

Fuck this…

Female RO version:

If there’s one thing Tress hated more than people—it was a graveyard full of dead people.

With her overly sensitive nose crinkled with distain, she’s barely able to stomach the stench of decay amongst the other rotten smells of mold and mildew. She stands with her pale hands covering her face in a make shift gas mask. “Can we just hurry?” she grouches, her voice muffled as she shuffles in place, slightly uneasy.

It’s not a plea.

Pleading would never be a part of her vocabulary. Neither would begging or bargaining; instead, her main focus had been better set toward making demands. And… at the current moment, she’d become rather insistent—because if she was expected to stay here another lousy second; she was either going to lose her mind, or shift and book it on all fours.

“Can you shut up? Ten seconds of silence —no bitching. That’s all I want to hear.” Her sister, Tara, snaps from her position, seated on the ground. She brushes her freshly curled blonde locks back with a withering sigh of annoyance. Tara was just about at her breaking point, and only one hour had passed. She hated bringing Tress along on anything, especially when they were stuck having to play the quiet game before a hunt.

“I’ve already wasted an hour of my life, rotting away with the other corpses. It’s not going t—” Tress raises her nose to the air, pulling her hands away from her face, and sniffing through the assorted foul smells that cloud the graveyard—only to focus on one in particular. Something floral—made to cover up the more than toxic reek of chemicals, a hair product of some kind. And her sister… rocking loose curls.

It had gone unnoticed until now.

“What the—?” she halts her complaint to shift into more of a disapproving scowl. It’s an expression that always has a permanent residence on her otherwise beautiful face. “Did you seriously style your hair before heading here?”

Tara laughs at the comment, unashamed of her need to always look good. Tara flicks an ant off her pant leg with a soft thump from her dainty fingers. “I like to be ready for whoever may come along.” She winks over at her raven haired sibling, giving an earth shattering smile that is met with a low growl of frustration.

“I’ll never understand, you goddamn human.”

At this, the other woman, who thus far had remained silent, laughs in a low throaty rumble. Gabrielle is cloaked by the shadows of the towering oak tree she leans against, her whole being seeming to bathe under the darkness of the night with a welcoming embrace. It was something the easygoing vampire had a special knack for. “I told you the hair was too much,” she quietly murmurs, an amused grin gracing her face. “But the two of you should both hush if we’re ever going to get the upper hand on this thing.”

Tress scoffs in response, turning on her booted heels to trudge further along, deeper within the isolated woods and away from her pack.

Fuck this…

16 Likes

The rewrite is surely a whiplash of the soon-to-be outdate work you done so far, and not gonna lie, I will miss it, I catch a liking to it. :cry:

Maybe this isn’t really relevant now, but I find kind of incoherent, plot hole even when nobody notice something off about the mc, specifically when you told us ‘he wasn’t never human’, so why nobody detect that? In the case of the demon, it dismiss their guess almost immediately when the mc say it was human and just roll with it, and in the case of our co-workers in the first meet, the scent would told right in the spot about the mc being some supernatural, even if they don’t know what exactly is, but I think you’ll found some explanation of why they couldn’t detect an anomaly, with the scent I mean, sorry just my usual rambling :sweat_smile: regardless I will be looking for the remake of your story. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

The supernatural side of the character had been totally sealed off from them for their entire life. It made them appear as an ordinary human. No smell. And they weren’t able to access their powers. The demon RO being so close to them was able to sense something off in their actions during the dream. Perhaps a little supernatural leaking out from the MC being in a more free state of being?

Once the seal is broken (which kept them hidden) then they would be able to be viewed as a supernatural with a unique smell. They also would begin to grow into their new found powers. Thanks for the ask! :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

haveyoueverhearofregret

*Not sure why I do this, but… Yeah… *

I was scratching my head around it, either trigger by chance, time or an event, and we’ll the trigger I think previously was after or before the bite, but you know with the rewrite of the story, we had to be patience and see how this plays out. :grin:

2 Likes