ChoiceScript Saving Plugin (Update: April 2023)

The *author issue is likely related to your version of CS, not the plugin (but I’ll check this now).

EDIT: Yup no issues here with the *author command. Firefox 39. Win7.

As for the other error again you’re probably using the old (from that linked post in the other thread) version of a file (the addon file in this case), scroll up and download the new one.

The exact game that you linked us to works perfectly for me once I replace smPlugin.js with the latest one.

Ok, I’ll try downloading another clean version of CS to deal with the *author issue. I’ve since replaced my smPlugin.js with the one you just linked and Quicksave still saves, despite not changing the save file name to let you know that it’s done so.

What browser and OS are you on?

Same as yours, Firefox 39. and Windows 7.

Here’s a link to your game (with both the plugin and addon) that is working as intended: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7840892/CJW/choicescript/dump/working-sm-menu.zip

Thanks for all your trouble! I had just managed to fix everything (thanks to @Malebranche) aside from the *author issue. Your link was the final piece to get it to 100%. I really appreciate it!

1 Like

I’ve included the smPlugin.js in my index.html, but it seems that save.js is missing.

This is my main folder:

And this is my webs folder:

No save.js to be seen.

It’s a plugin, an unofficial add-on, it doesn’t come as part of the standard Choicescript download. Check the first post of this thread for links.

Does that mean that I can use the smPlugin-Menu add on instead?

To use the smPlugin-Menu add-on you also need the main smPlugin.js add-on, but yes, together they can (and should) be used instead of save.js.

I don’t think think I see the link for the main smPlugin.js add-on.

Considering that I need both smPlugin.js add-on and smPlugin-Menu add-on to get the smPlugin.js to work; what file would I have to go into to change the “mygame_save”?

It’s here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7840892/CJW/choicescript/code/save-framework/smPlugin.js

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking though. You need to include both those files with script tags placed inside the index.html file found within your mygame folder.

I tried to download this once already and I am confused on the install instructions. Opening index.html cause the game to open in the browser. How exactly do you add this file as script to that?

You need to open it with an advanced text-editor such as Notepad++, then follow the instructions provided :slight_smile:

Im retarded, I wasn’t opening it the right way. Thanks

@CJW
I appologize if you have already answered these questions, I am trying to read the whole thread but I ran out of time with 100 to go. I will finish later.

1. This will not work once published correct? I’m assuming so but asking for confirmation

2. Is post 116 in the first post? If so you may want to edit and add in that you put the link in the first post.

3. Just for clarification quick test still works right? I did read that auto test doesn’t.

4. Are you a god or are you just that awesome? Sorry ignore this. I get weird when I’m tired.

@ImagineAWorldWhere this is what I’m going to download when I get time.

1 Like

New problem. I have the file saved properly. When opening index.html in IE I get this msg:

local storage Mod Disabled
IE doesn’t support localStorage for local files

So I opened in Chrome and got this msg:

script error

The file will not load in Chrome although I can see the correct Save and Load button options which do not appear in the IE version.

Not sure if there is a switch of some sort for IE storage or if there is something more that needs to be in the save file.

Chrome won’t run CS locally, and you’ll have no luck with IE storage locally. Use Firefox, or if you’re on Win10, try Edge. Or you can host your game online.

@Kelvin

1. It would, but COG have their own saving system for published games.

2. ???

3. It won’t, since it uses additional CS commands, they’re not considered valid. I don’t plan to bypass this.

4. Thank you?

1 Like

Ok, I will try Firefox but I am curious. Since this is a hard save meant for testing (I read that this should be removed prior to publishing as CS provides a save function) why can it only operate in certain browsers. Should I publish everytime I wish to test the game?

I am looking at a soft save solution but so far have not found anything that fits my script that would not require quite a bit of editing as I have many locations that can transfer the player to a new scene.

Good evening;

I’m trying to use the mod to make beta testing for my WIP easier, but I can’t quite get it right.

I’m using a program called Sublime Text 3 for changing the files’ script, and I can’t work it out. I know I have to add the mod script after the ui.js and scene.js, but after that, what do I do? I mean, I have to add “<” and such? :open_mouth: Can I put here a screencap of the script?