Samurai of Hyuga is released!

@Numbuh137
Thanks for the praise! No one holds such strong opinions, or creates an account on these forums solely to express them, unless they are very touched by my work.

The use of those words help reflect the “anime” tone I chose to suit the novel. The cover art is even commissioned from an actual manga artist. While the world of Hyuga draws from Japanese culture, it is a mistake to take correlations seriously. I can only offer my condolences for your feelings of embarrassment.

If you wish to continue this discussion, message me privately.

1 Like

I agree that the usage of random Japanese phrases was quite ridiculous. I am not Japanese so I cant say if it was offensive , but I think it was rather pointless and kinda ruin the mood.

Japanese words in chapter titles or nouns like Oni were fine, but Baka/Gomen/Kuso were pointless. Since all those words have an English equivalent. Using them didnt add any special touch, and it ruined the mood a bit. I mean, I know this is Japan setting and although the game is in English, they’re speaking Japanese. So when there were Japanese phrases like that in English sentence my brain was like ‘wait wat’. Not to mention that people who don’t understand Japanese might get confused. It doesn’t help either that those words can be really cringeworthy to some people. (I know there are people who will stop reading if they run into those words since it seem unprofessional and well, weaboo) I think sama/chan/kun were fine tho. But having a Glossary might come in handy.

3 Likes

Oh man I’m so sorry! Like you said I literally just made an account so I could comment so I completely forgot that private message was an option! If I had known I could do that I would’ve done that from the start.
Also sorry for all the fuss I made, that definitely wasn’t my intention. People started arguing with me and before I knew it i got carried away. I wasn’t trying to force my opinion or anything. I just felt that for all the points I kept bringing up, no one seemed to be giving me any actual reasons why I was wrong. Just a bunch of people telling me I was wrong with no actual reasons to back it up. Like for instance if anybody had brought up the fact I wasn’t japanese so I didn’t have a right to speak I probably would have backed off. Ah but that’s besides the point, huh. Again sorry for causing such a commotion I’ve gone through all my points so I’ll stop commenting here.
Also real quick cause I’m having some trouble over here. Umm…how do I send a private message?

I don’t think your opinion is wrong - after all, it’s merely your opinion. However, your opinion was strongly worded in a manner that tends to rub people the wrong way; I imagine that’s the cause for the backlash.

As someone who took Japanese for four years in school I am no stranger to weeaboo culture; you see it a lot in the beginning. However, if you find yourself getting worked up over it I think it says a lot more about you than it does the person who has seemingly offended you. It’s like taking on an attitude that the offending individual’s interest in Japanese culture is less authentic than your own and that can easily come across as pretentious.

I didn’t take issue with the incorporation of Japanese words; I actually think it is an interesting way to demonstrate some understanding of Japanese culture through the context of interactions between characters (gomen vs. gomennasai based on the relationship of the characters - taking into consideration formalities, that kind of stuff). Whatever the author decides on the matter, I enjoyed the story and look forward to the next installment because the bottom line is this - it was good.

6 Likes

Well, since this seems to be a ‘thing’ now…

I personally liked the inclusion of the the Japanese words. It’s probably because I fit the whole “weeaboo” (or whatever the hell) thing, but I’m a fan of the kind of style it creates. I thought it contributed to the very fantastical/exaggerated setting and tone that the whole game is running with, a tone that I kind of fell in love with as I played.

While people bring up valid points and are entitled to their opinion, I’d honestly think the game would lose a bit of it’s unique tone if the Japanese words/phrases were taken out.

No offence, but if that’s a deal breaker for you I’d consider re-evaluating your priorities: that’s a SUPER small problem compared to just about anything. I mean, Jesus, do you stop watching an anime because some one shouted out some Engrish?

4 Likes

No, I understand what you mean! I don’t think weaboos understand sometimes that people of the native culture find their obsessiveness and idealism ridiculous. Sometimes it gets really jarring. One time, a weaboo told me I was using my chopsticks wrong, and corrected my pronunciation. I was so stunned that I didn’t know what to say in response at first. I just sort of laughed it off, but for reals, that was kinda rude.

At any rate, another poster also mentioned that they thought the author would be attacked for their usage of baka/gomen/kuso etc. I think your guys’ concerns are valid, though the offenders should be few and far between. I know when I saw those words used at first, I was like ‘oh man…this thing again?’ It was disappointing, but I think the majority of people reading won’t go psycho crazy about it. The author did a really great job with this game, and should be proud of their work :smile:

1 Like

This is one of the more ridiculous criticisms I’ve seen. Would you, likewise, prefer that every dubbed anime and translation be barred from using ‘sensei’ or ‘dojo’. Samurai is a cultural term as well, perhaps ‘knight’ would suit your tastes more? Likewise, the katana would only be referred to as a saber and a kimono only be referred to as robes. While we’re at it, zen and chi might only be allowed to be referred to as ‘mystical force’.

• Thus, we have a nicely disinfected story about knights in robes wielding sabers while using the force… wait, I think that’s been done already.

Would you rather the author used made-up words? Perhaps ‘drok’ instead of a swear word, like 2000AD did to get round onerous publication laws. Or maybe some italicized nonsense to indicate how special and snowflake-unique their world must be, something I zingiwhiply find particularly ridiculous?

Or maybe the author should have used another culture you find more palatable. Instead of ‘baka’, how about ‘asshat’, ‘gomenesai’ could be ‘soz’ and ‘kuso’ could be ‘damn’ despite how how disjointed it is referencing damnation in a culturally different world. I could look up appropriate words in Spanish, or perhaps Mancunian would be more acceptable to you?

On the other hand, I can see why shettiejw would be offended about being corrected. That is rude, no matter what.

11 Likes

Wait, is that “drok” thing real? Jeez…

(That was a super solid post, by the by)

I cannot find any official reference to litigation against UK and American comic publishers of the time, though there is a lot of second-hand data about it. The 70s saw some heavy push-back by governments against swearing and indecency in publications,

I hate to say “it’s commonly accepted”, so I will keep looking.

I don’t know if this has been asked already but are there any plans to release on steam?
If this has been asked and answered please direct me to it, thank you.

1 Like

@Dio_Brando @rialta
Those two questions are dependent on each other. Have to ask the powers that be.

2 Likes

I’m going to talk about Fatehaven and Samurai of Hyuga in one post because they’re really what made me bother to make an account and they’re from the same author and they’re so similar and also I’m lazy. This may contain spoilers, depending on your definition.

As a guy who has only a passing interest in anime and its tropes, I was one of those people who facepalmed and laughed with embarrassment when I started playing Fatehaven and Samurai of Hyuga. Both times I saw the tropes being used early on- Ditzy but not-quite-secretly romantic childhood friend in Fatehaven and cute, tsundere teenage charge who calls you “b-baka!” in SoH and thought to myself:

“… oh God. Oh God, this is so animuu.”.

However, the quality of the writing and characterization was top notch for both. Everybody felt different- similar, in some ways, but if you read them speaking without each being specifically identified, you could know exactly who’s who based only on mannerisms and accents. Yes, good.

The plots drew me in right from the start. Now I’ve finished SoH and literally said “NO. NO, I WANT MORE.” And my thoughts at the end of each were much like my thoughts at the beginning, with one important addendum:

“Oh God, this is so animuu.”
“And I still love it.”

The sense of humor, the pacing, and the both unashamed and tasteful use of violence, vice and sexuality all came together with the great characters and solid plots to make them the most enjoyable CoG/HG games I’ve played. They aren’t the BEST- other games are probably written better and have better stat balancing- but none made me smile as much as either of these games and make me want more of them to the same degree. The only games besides them I enjoyed almost as much are probably Hero of Kendrickstone and Tin Star.

Devon Connell, you are a lunatic and I love you for it. You keep doing your thing; faster, if possible, because I want the next part of Samurai of Hyuga.

10 Likes

First of all, thank you so much for creating this game. This has become my favorite CoG alongside Mecha Ace. =)

I’m a huge fan of Rurouni Kenshin so the concept has a great appeal to me and very dear to my heart due to my love for Japanese culture. I really love the characters, though I spotted quite a bit of similarites between RK and this one but I really looked forward to the story and character development.

I’m just really sad that it ends in a cliffhanger. First, The Hollow Boy ends with a cliffhanger and now this!? Fate is so cruel! 。゚(゚´Д`゚)゚。

Can’t wait for Book 2! .

1 Like

This was very enjoyable! Is there an estimated date on when book 2 will be released? I took a look at your website, but didn’t see anything about it.

4 Likes

So am I !! can’t wait book 2 !!

Welp I finally decided to buy this book…I just finished it…now I feel like jumping off a bridge…
HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO ME!!
well
Wonderful story, I cant wait for book 2.

2 Likes

WOW, this was utterly fantastic! The first-person took some getting used to, but it wasn’t necessarily bad–just different. I really liked how you had some of the narration and the dialogue automatically change to fit our character’s personality, that was a nice touch. The characters were all great–inspired heavily by Rurouni Kenshin, but managing to be unique, fleshed-out and enjoyable. Cute, Tsundere little Masashi was by far my favorite, though! Would it be wrong to hope for something more with him in the future?

Absolutely cannot wait for the book!

I actually had the same issues with the 1st person. I am not a fan of it - really not.
But if the rest of the story - the scenario and setting, the characters and so on - I can at some point forgive it.

Obviously I was able to forgive 1st person and now, I am just sitting here, tapping my foot and waiting for the next part. As much as I love long stories and multiple parts - dear Gods, I hate the waiting in between.

Pokes Author … gently

http://www.multiplechoicestudios.com/?p=739 That is his website, and good news lays within that link.

7 Likes