Samurai of Hyuga Book 3 (Patreon/Early Access info on Post 1297!)

Hmm. I’m still wondering if feminity and masculinity are going to forced onto the players or simply something that can be explored. While I agree that forcing feminity on an MC just because the player choose Jun over Junko is… I don’t know how I want to put this… not good, I don’t think the idea of letting the player explore those ideas of feminity and masculinity are inherently bad. I haven’t see anything about the MC having to accept it, just confront it, and I don’t think using Jun/Junko to do so is the worst way to do it…

But I wanna be optimistic. I can see why people are turned off. I wanted to explore feminity with my MC because I, too, grew up feeling like I had to reject it and only now am starting to embrace it and I, personally, found it liberating. But that’s not true for everyone, I understand, but I think it might be a touch too early to completely swear off the next book.

16 Likes

Forcing the players to change is not good I agree. Exploring femininity and masculinity would still be great but I hope that there is still an option for those who don’t want the change. I don’t know how Devon will do it but I wished he will do it in a way that cater to both parties.

5 Likes

I hope you guys reserve your judgement until a demo is released. Because from whatever I have read in this thread it comes off more like whining and blackmail…“If u don’t do that, I am not buying” when the author is still writing his book is not a healthy sign for creative freedom… I hope I don’t come off as harsh…Just give the author a breathing space to tell his story…

20 Likes

Wrong thread my friend. =D

3 Likes

Just use Jigoku Itto Ryu on Murphy :joy: :joy:

But yeah, wrong thread

12 Likes

Omg I’m sorry! Gonna go quietly disappear into the void now

3 Likes

Chipmonks UNITE! Woo woo!

1 Like

If it were just about that, I’d be able to roll my eyes and move on. I still wouldn’t be a fan of the concept, but I’d be happy enough just reading past it for the parts I would enjoy. The breaking point, for me, is not so much this new direction of the story but the viewpoints and opinions of the author expressed through it and his comments here on the forum. The way he treats queer relationships (and his queer audience in general, by dismissing them completely), and his view on relationships and gender in general, are not something I’m willing to support even implicitly.

As @resuri08 asked and @Sanjay suggested, I will read the demo when it comes out. I hope by that point the author will have listened to our concerns and criticisms and that I will be able to enjoy the rest of his books as I’d hoped I would (and still want to). Based on other comments he has made in his thread, and what seems to be a general attitude of “I am writing this story the way I want to and that is not going to change”, I’m expecting to be disappointed

8 Likes

Okay so, the author already asked twice if we could take all this gender debate out of the thread and to PMs if need be, seeing as how this place has become massively off topic, so why don’t we lighten up a bit with more of whose spirit animal would beat whose, eeeeh? Because my heart longs for a chipmunk v red panda battle cause why not. Not like my lil guy could beat a pony or swan.

8 Likes

This is a gentle reminder to please keep conversations directed at the topic at hand and not at the individuals themselves. Focusing replies on the individuals themselves instead of the topic at hand can lead to friction between members and often causes the thread to derail.

Please keep posts on centered on the topic and debate the points being made, and not centered on the people making them.

The author has officially asked to take gender dynamics discussions to a PM as well. Please be respectful to the author in making this request and forgo discussing this issue in the general discussion thread.

There are many of us (myself included) that disagree with the author about various aspects of gender, his exploration of gender in his writing, what the majority of an audience would and would not want and many other things including the nature of the relationship between Jun/ko and the MC.

Once the author speaks on the nature of their writing and says they will be doing something, regardless of your feedback, it is up to you to then drop the subject.

I don’t monitor this thread, so, if there are problematic posts, you should flag them and let the moderators figure out the consequences (if any). Please do not take it upon yourself to focus on replying to these individuals. It only creates derailments and friction in the community.

16 Likes

Chipmunks are best Spirit Animal! :chipmunk:

3 Likes

Actually that does make me curious what Spirit Animal people choose. Has there been a poll before?

1 Like

Probably in the previous books I think but so far, no poll yet in this thread. XD

Mine is still a Firefly. =)

1 Like

Another chipmunk over here. But I can’t say it would be impossible to beat a pony or swan. We just have to unite together and swarm them like termites. And change our diet from nuts, veggies and small insects to bigger creatures. We will rule by outnumbering our opponents!

1 Like

Then lets do this! Which Spirit Animal is your Favorite?

• Barn Swallow (Impulsive)
  • Alligator (Calculated)
  • Snow Monkey (Perverted)
  • Akita Inu (Chivalrous)
  • Firefly (Charming)
  • Giant Salamander (Stoic)
  • Spider Crab (Drifter)
  • Chipmunk (Protective)
  • Wild Boar (Brutal)
  • Striped Snake (Finesse)

0 voters

7 Likes

Chipmunk is my absolute favorite but I also really liked the Akita Inu. HOW COULD YOU NOT LOVE THIS LITTLE FACE?? But I really liked the part in book 2 where Masi tries to guilt you because you ate a swan and you could just deadpan said “I’ve totally eaten Chipmunks before” I have no idea why but that really made me laugh.

3 Likes

I have played both Akita Inu and Chipmunk…I love both, but I find the Akiba Inu is more fitting for my Ronin…plus I’m a dog person (raised basically with German Sheperd) :smile:

1 Like

My MC are very good with his tongue :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, so I always pick the firefly as my spirit animal :grin:
Not to mention the fact that the firefly can transform your katana into a lightsaber, what’s not to like?

2 Likes

Striped Snake deserves more love!

3 Likes

The amount of Snow Monkeys is a lot smaller than I was initially expecting…

Whatever. I’m proud to be a Snow Monkey.

4 Likes