Samurai of Hyuga Book 3

I feel you there. Coming from an Asian culture that’s still pretty traditional despite being more egalitarian compared to its neighbors, there’s still a bunch of expectations for me to act more “ladylike” and “refined.” A few days ago, I got chewed out by my parents for being the driver between me and my boyfriend. They said he should be the one driving me places, not the other way around. Whenever me and a female friend say we don’t want to have children, the reply is always “You will in the future.” And I will forever disdain the double standard of women needing to wear makeup to look “professional”.

Still, I like being a woman and expressing my femininity. I like wearing dresses, and I would try to compromise with a person instead of trying to push for my own idea or side. This extends to games that I play. What irks me is the prevalence of the trope Real Women Don’t Wear Dresses and the idea that to be empowered, you have to reject femininity. It’s also why I absolutely adore the Magical Girl genre; it’s a total defiance of this trope by showing that you can be feminine and kick butt, or even that you kick butt because you’re feminine. To quote Shadowjack Watches Sailor Moon:

What I find fascinating about the series is that it really is girl power in action. It does not take traditionally “masculine” action tropes and simply gender swap them, no, and it does not deny or condemn the attraction of the pretty princess fantasy. Instead, it takes all the “feminine” girly stuff like frilly princess dresses and pink unicorns and makes them into implements of power. The hypothetical girl in the audience is being told that she can be as girly as she likes and still dream of growing up into power and responsibility. Feminine articles are not shackles or playthings to be eschewed, or tools good only for obtaining the approval of men — they are treated as cool and desirable things, in and of themselves.
Boy craziness is even part of this, in the way they make the knightly romance fantasy an active one. The girls wanna be swept off their feet by a handsome knight, and, damn it, they’re gonna go out there and find that handsome knight and make sure he does it.

That being said, I’m pretty satisfied with how Devon Connell handled the female protagonist so far, at least in terms of this. Something as simple as the female Ronin making reference to herself as a woman (like the Ronin calling herself a “broad”), or other characters making reference to her as a woman, makes me happy. Gender-neutral writing is fine, but I’ve been slightly disillusioned by it because of the tendency of mainstream games to imply that the MC is supposed to be male (looking at you, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon and Gates to Infinity).

I personally never liked dresses because when I was a child felt like a prison in clothes form: wit a skirt I couldn’t play as I liked, run around, climb, ride my bike. And offered no protection to my legs.

I believed I didn’t want children either. Than I discovered I can’t have children. And now that is not anymore a choice but is my very possible destiny, I feel something have been ripped out of me. It’s a door that have been closed wiyhout my consent, and I hate it.

Can the MC even do it? at their best they lose to Junko, and the MC got the biggest power down I have ever seen in a choice series… while junko just became more of a beast.

In my opinion, our Ronin will not manage it in Book 4 since we lost our ability with Jigoku. :thinking:

I think the Ronin probably will. I mean let’s face it, this is probably not their worse odds. Plus after building up for a book 4 confrontation, it wouldn’t make much sense to drag it on after that. Besides I think it was implied we got are mojo back.

I’m more curious if we can join these rebels we are hearing about. I wouldn’t mind going up against the emperor and fighting the power. Anyone else wondering this?

Kinda doubtful since Satsuma actually reached out to the kid and the ronin for help. Plus Toshie would flip shit on us if we joined the rebels since you know just how much Toshie hates them.

And Basho is a part of it, I can tell. No way would I want anything to do with that creep.

Edited: Just remembered that the samurai general who was planning on leading the rebellion is now dead so the head of the snake is basically Hatch now.

Damn forgot about Basho…he’s a deal breaker in any regards…I’m not sure I’d dismiss it as a far out possibility though. Let’s face it our Ronin doesn’t have a good history of loyalty.

Was that the same rebellion? I thought the Jijinto Shrine or police whet having another one?

Well he was a merc for hire for a long time so obviously. The only person that the ronin would trust is themselves. The kid doesn’t count since… Well this is a kid we’re talking about here. Toshie is iffy since she’s been keeping secrets. Hatch can be said to be 55% idiot 45% good intentions.

Same rebellion as I am concerned since it seems as if the demons knows each other.

That’s about the right measurement for Hatch…

I actually considered 50/50 but that would be a bit too generous. 60/40 would had been pretty harsh. But he is still a idiot at times.

The ending did make it clear that Hatch was going to replace the now dead general by simply taking his place and armor with Kohaku’s help to prevent the samurai army from turning into rampaging ronins if they found out that their beloved general and master was killed.

Yeah, but the Hatch I saw in the first and second part of this I didn’t think would be capable of this move that’s why I really hope that in the next part we will get to read more about him.
Edit: And to me that was a big disappointment about Kohaku, I didn’t think they were so ready to forget about their last master (stating of them the way I am bc I’m not sure wht they gender are for players who are interested in males).

Oh yeah I see what you mean by that. Hatch doing that took me by surprise but then again, he asked us to train him to wield the katana after his spirit animal (that’s an armored horse by the way from what he tells you) told him that he had to learn how to use it. So I would say that he’s finally getting some significant character development rather than to be treated as fodder.

But I do wonder if he’s going to yell at us or at least be okay with us after we slashed his face.

I was surprised he seemed cool with us at the end.

Exactly! We literally slashed his face. His reaction to it seems a bit off imo but as I said before, he’s a good guy with a good heart. But his brain? Yeah needs some more work.

Well about his spirit animal I always thought that it’s a horse trained for peacefull things, like something to help out farmers or travellers, nothing what would need an armor.
But I agree with you this definitely showes the signs of some character development. But so far I can’t even form an opinion about this so far, so all I can do is wait for the next book to come out.

It could also symbolize Hatch becoming a solider in order to protect the weak and the innocent. That’s how I really would look at it with the information we have gotten so far in the series about him.

That’s the impression I got about him too. But to take the role of a tyrannic leader seems just a bit off character for him.

Well, I don’t think he’d act like a tyrant. He’d probably going to be the same old Hatch as usual while confusing the hell out of the army wondering why their general is acting differently. But having Kohaku around him should help repel some curiosity since she knew the Ronin had killed the general but didn’t flinch when Hatch was putting the armor on.

Possible but then again, Jun/ko seems to be a vital part of our Ronin’s identity. Killing them off in the middle of series seems to be too early. My hypothesis is: we will not be able to defeat Jun/ko in Book 4 but they might be one of the vital keys for us to unlocked our potential since in Book Four, we will be exploring our Ronin’s past. Also judging from their action, they are not out to kill our Ronin, why though? =/ The choice of killing them would be probably the beginning of Book Six perhaps?

In my opinion, we might not be able to join the rebels since we have a charge who is now connected to the royal family and Tosh being a friend to the Emperor. But there’s a possibility that there will be an arc that Tosh will have to choose between our Ronin and the Emperor, vision wise I mean.

There are still theories going around that the Emperor might be one of the demons though so that would add to the drama. XD