Samurai of Hyuga Book 3 (Patreon/Early Access info on Post 1297!)

Why, hello again! You’re such a talented writer, in your own WIP and in fanfiction :smile: I loved this piece! Ronin x Jun is my favorite relationship in SoH, and you captured them so well… I think (?) Devon can’t read fanfiction because he might use it unconsciously in SoH (he said something like that in the blog) but the rest of us are grateful for it!

I would love to read another fanfic from you, this time from Jun’s PoV. Just a thought!

4 Likes

Hiiii :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:Aww, thanks for the compliment (and oops I’ve been caught slacking on my WIP lol) I feel you lol. I thought Masa/Ronin would be my one and only ship, but then Jun(ko) appeared at the end of SOH1 and I was like oh welp time to jump ship(?)

I’ll see if the inspiration bug bites again :smirk:

4 Likes

Considering the authors own words about it (and the general tendency at least for female characters to get masculinity treated as something to grow out of), I doubt you have much to fear for at least if you play a female Ronin. Can’t speak for the male Ronin of course.

I would hope for the series to allow the players a multifaceted approach to genderroles and expectations, and yes that includes embracing femininity but also the option to reject it, or at least the idea of femininity that the author may has. So I obviously got a bit wary after reading the comment of the author considering the female Ronin and her relationship to femininity (no talk about the male Ronin btw, what also puts me off a bit), because it very much sounded a bit like she has to “grow out” from her masculinity, (which is also a narrative I’m by now a bit tired about because it’s honestly pretty prevalent).

Let’s hope we both get what we want with choices that will not punish either way to play our Ronins.

13 Likes

I only hope “feminity” isn’t just “wearing make-up and pretty dresses”. :neutral_face:

6 Likes

Truth to be told, labeling pretty and wearing pretty dresses should not define as something bad. =/ What’s wrong if some girls like to be pretty and wear pretty dresses? They are still part of the whole womankind. In my opinion, femininity is not defined by how pretty you are. It’s more than that: Femininity for me is a quiet strength that is drawn from the hardship we, as a woman, face throughout our life and history. The strength of being a mother, being a daughter, being a friend and being a fighter.

This… I hope Devon could touch on.

14 Likes

That’s… deep :hushed:
I don’t usually play as female characters but if author explores something like this in future books I’m willing to try.

3 Likes

Is just a personal thing… I don’t mind the “classic femininty”, but for years I’ve been always criticized by family members and people for my lack of interest toward skirts, hight heels, long hair and make-up.
Always basically making me feel “less of a woman” for this. So I’ve basically developed a little of an “allergy” to this thrope.

8 Likes

I feel bad that your family and people do this to you. :frowning:

I know we have our own taste. I, for one, is not really into make up and such and I have been told that I was not womanly enough as well. I have also went through the “allergy for that trope” phase but in the end, we must not let other people define who we are and not limit our perspective because of what experience before.

Though to be frank, I have reached my limit for the Moe culture though. ^^; But both you and I hope that @MultipleChoice would concentrate on a different side of femininity. Not the physical aspect but more on the character aspect.

1 Like

I don’t mind girly stuff customization as long as is a choice. :slightly_smiling_face:
I just hate it when is forced on my character, or is considered a “goal in life”.

4 Likes

I understand where you are coming from. :laughing:

I also apologize if I delve into it too much. ^^; It will be a long wait for us until we really know how Devon will handle it. We must have faith. :hugs:

2 Likes

I personally never liked dresses because when I was a child felt like a prison in clothes form: wit a skirt I couldn’t play as I liked, run around, climb, ride my bike. And offered no protection to my legs.

I believed I didn’t want children either. Than I discovered I can’t have children. And now that is not anymore a choice but is my very possible destiny, I feel something have been ripped out of me. It’s a door that have been closed wiyhout my consent, and I hate it.

3 Likes

Can the MC even do it? at their best they lose to Junko, and the MC got the biggest power down I have ever seen in a choice series… while junko just became more of a beast.

1 Like

In my opinion, our Ronin will not manage it in Book 4 since we lost our ability with Jigoku. :thinking:

1 Like

I think the Ronin probably will. I mean let’s face it, this is probably not their worse odds. Plus after building up for a book 4 confrontation, it wouldn’t make much sense to drag it on after that. Besides I think it was implied we got are mojo back.

I’m more curious if we can join these rebels we are hearing about. I wouldn’t mind going up against the emperor and fighting the power. Anyone else wondering this?

1 Like

Kinda doubtful since Satsuma actually reached out to the kid and the ronin for help. Plus Toshie would flip shit on us if we joined the rebels since you know just how much Toshie hates them.

And Basho is a part of it, I can tell. No way would I want anything to do with that creep.

Edited: Just remembered that the samurai general who was planning on leading the rebellion is now dead so the head of the snake is basically Hatch now.

3 Likes

Damn forgot about Basho…he’s a deal breaker in any regards…I’m not sure I’d dismiss it as a far out possibility though. Let’s face it our Ronin doesn’t have a good history of loyalty.

Was that the same rebellion? I thought the Jijinto Shrine or police whet having another one?

1 Like

Well he was a merc for hire for a long time so obviously. The only person that the ronin would trust is themselves. The kid doesn’t count since… Well this is a kid we’re talking about here. Toshie is iffy since she’s been keeping secrets. Hatch can be said to be 55% idiot 45% good intentions.

Same rebellion as I am concerned since it seems as if the demons knows each other.

2 Likes

That’s about the right measurement for Hatch…

I actually considered 50/50 but that would be a bit too generous. 60/40 would had been pretty harsh. But he is still a idiot at times.

3 Likes

The ending did make it clear that Hatch was going to replace the now dead general by simply taking his place and armor with Kohaku’s help to prevent the samurai army from turning into rampaging ronins if they found out that their beloved general and master was killed.