Samurai of Hyuga Book 3 (Patreon/Early Access info on Post 1297!)

I was…I didn’t know what was happening at first and thought maybe I was just failing hard at the game! But then, I understood messing around a bit with the player’s expectation and perception is just kind of…Devin’s style? :smile:

Forgot about that… There were a lot things happening. ^^; But I suppose the present is what counts but kind of understand what some people here are saying that our Ronin and Jun/ko are no different.

@harmonia That happen to me to! I was like " What the heck is going on?? " and then eventually understood.

1 Like

Well, I don’t remember that specific scene, but I am reading again from book 1, so when I reach that part I will see if that is actually what happens.

But anyway, no one is trying to paint the MC as a saint, not even close to that. If that was the case, no one would talk about the redemption of our ronin.

You know funny enough that is one thing the author confirmed would not happen.

I haven’t tried Jun/ko’s options or route, simply due to the fact I was uninterested with them and didn’t appreciate what happened at the start of Book 2. You don’t even know who the hell they are, besides the fact they are the MC’s abusive past lover.But to be honest, I’m the MC, and they way I’m forming them to be is an anti-hero. Despite this. Being a mercenary entails lots of killing aside from what is morally right, from what I see with the narrative I’ve taken, Jun is just fucked up. Comparing the MC(what I/you perceive) to an established-ish character’s action is a bit of stretch.

2 Likes

I don’t think much changes, you have the option to kill Daisuke and Sadao in Book 3(though, I’m unsure he’s actually dead), as well as some other things such as that guy who invades Ume-Ume’s home, you can stab him, and then keep his head held in the water to make a bloodbath. I don’t much of the plot changes with the personalities just the overall aesthetic, but eh, I’ve only did one playthrough but from what I read it seems to be the case.

2 Likes

Hahaha… :sweat_smile: well, then I’m all for redeeming Jun at some extent.

4 Likes

To clarify my point of view, I think that neither Junko nor our MC deserve forgiveness, both of them just committed too many and too grieve crimes to deserve it in my eyes

And I’ve never played as a brutal Ronin, I would probably have a worse opinion about MC after doing so :sweat_smile:

Thanks for the confirmation. I didn’t play a brutal ronin so I didn’t see the difference.

Because people like order, and for some reason restoring order to the kingdom in the fantasy genre always involves helping out some self serving nobles or ruler stay in power somewhere, while peasants are starving out on the land. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for this story, though, I’m guessing Satsuma’s spirit animal is the lion, and in Jun we’ve got a wolf.

3 Likes

Yeah, I get the reasons… but I still want to find a story where the MC chooses the dark path and stays in it u_u

Since the MC is somewhat a reflection of who I am, I want her to be redeemed, tbh. Redemption will be hard I am sure but like my favorite quote that I kept in mind “We must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy -JKR”

My Ronin chosen the right way which I am sure will be a very hard road (First example: what happen in Book 3)

Also I also read that Devon want redemption for the MC but he didn’t mentioned anything about Jun/ko.

2 Likes

It was a horse
It is not mentioned anywhere

I was mentioned in book 1…

Nah, I don’t agree with this at all. Why does redemption need to occur before the half-way mark? If that was the case then the ronin going on a self-discovery journey in book 4 wouldn’t make much sense, would it?

There are still three books to go. It is more than enough to deepen and explore Jun’s character a lot more. What we’ve seen of Jun so far has been under the maddened influence of the forbidden technique and I think (hope) we’ll be able to take a peek at the real person behind all the trauma and chaos.

Yes, it’s the turning point for the MC as well as for the whole group. Jun was never apart of that group, his turning point might very well still come. Again, I fail to get the argument that the half-way mark means anything besides telling us the story is half-way done.

But that’s the thing. Characters that do go through redemption never truly deserve it. They have to do something wrong in the first place to even warrant a redemption arc to begin with. Redemption occurs because the person in the wrong wanted to redeem, not because they deserve it. It’s the want to do/be better that deserves redemption. And I think Jun may very well still want it.

And plus, whoever said redemption was easy? After what Jun did I wholly want him to be responsible for his actions. I want him to face the pain he has caused, I want him to make amends. As best as they can be made. I don’t think anyone ever said we wanted Jun to just walk impune. That would be boring, unrealistic and just plain bad writing imo.

Ultimately, I hope whether or not our ronin accepts Jun’s redemption is up to the player. I think both sides offer valid points and while my ronin would stand by him it’s perfectly valid someone else’s can’t look past the things he has done.

But the redemption arc itself? I hope it does not depend on us. I hope Jun and Junko get the chance to grow, regardless of the MC.

I don’t think that was meant to be taken literally. Just because I think “I want to become a demon” doesn’t mean there’s going to be horns growing out of my head in a few hours.

Jun said that because he learned from Momoko the ronin now hunted demons. It was a way of saying he wanted us to came to him, like he always did, since the beginning of the books.

And I do agree with what someone said before that the ending was purposefully left open for interpretation. My ronin is not going to look for Jun with revenge in her mind. Someone else’s ronin might. That’s the beauty of Choice games. You make your own character with your own motivations and reasons.

12 Likes

Errr except Junko has at no point shown any interest in redemption.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s why I said there are still three books to go, which is more than enough time for him to do so. Saying his character is done doesn’t really make sense considering he only barely showed up…

5 Likes

Well saying they deserve forgiveness after cutting out Momoko’s Tongue then carrying it around is also messed up…

3 Likes

I was mostly just joking. I meant, there are plenty of stories like that, but it’s usually subverted in that the ‘dark side’ really isn’t what it seems, or the story plays around with the “Light is not Good” trope. So the bad guys aren’t necessarily the bad guys.

That’s why they don’t deserve forgiveness without redemption first. If he shows no remorse he can never be forgiven for his actions.

Redemption does not equal forgiveness. I’m only saying he at least deserves a shot.

2 Likes