Samurai of Hyuga Book 3 (Patreon/Early Access info on Post 1297!)

But shouldn’t Book 3 also be able to stand on its own two feet? Shouldn’t it feel like a complete storyline by itself?

I do understand your point of view. But limiting the writer because of possible triggers for some people is not good.

Since the book had a warning and from the beginning we see that it is not just little blood but gore and MC getting scared and all, even scene with fish in first book. You had an option, and if you chose the last one, you had a huge warning of upcomong gore and scenes on the way. So on authors side, he did everything to warn you.

And yeah, for some, something may remind them something hurtful and trigger them, but that doesnt mean that we will start cutting the scenes out. There are a lot of movies and books with even more, still they hit top selles and all.

And i am really sorry about your situation, but becuse you are triggered, it doesnt mean that the author will take down something involving a car crash. Someone may have experience plane crash or his loved one.

Everyone of us have some triggers and author not anyone else can predict it or know, so they only option is to creat what they want to create and leave it for people who are not triggered or can handle it.

And guys! Someone who cant handle the scene or starts hahing flashbacks or something should put the book away. It is clear that not every book or movie or whatever is made for everyone.

13 Likes

I’m sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I didn’t say the scene should be removed, in fact I said that doing so would be bad. I never said that writers shouldn’t stop using car accidents in their fiction, only that I try to avoid it because it’s traumatizing for me. All I said in regards to this situation was that there should be a clearer warning about the content. There is a difference between a warning against violence like with the fish and rape.

12 Likes

It can be interpreted in a different way. The maiming of Momoko was an independent incident that took place regardless of the MC. The MC does not even know about the incident and it’s likely that he will be given a chance to react later in the series when he becomes aware of the situation. There must be MCs who were indifferent to Momoko previously so they might not be as affected by the incident.
And about the incident itself, Jun/ko is a psychopathic killer who slaughters and tortures people for fun. She is out hunting for the MC and as Momoko was a possible source of information she tortured her for it. Remember when she put chopsticks through the hands of the bar owner in book 1? And if the MC did have a physical relationship with Momoko then Jun/ko is likely to become more passionate in that situation. Now just imagine what a character who kills for fun would act like when she’s passionate about a subject.

8 Likes

Oh, then i am sorry :sweat_smile: i may had taken the meaning of your post in other direction.

But anyone can avoid that scene.

When she gets kidnapped you have the option to go or not, it says clearly that it would not be a pretty scene and that no one would blame you for not going. Maybe its just me, but in my opinion it was really obvious what was going to happen.

I think the scene was “good”. Obviously that is uncomfortable, which is, obviously, the point on that scene. But I think too it let’s us have an insight of how this character is.

I hope she will have more scenes in the future, because after that scene I like what I saw on her. She is strong, and IMO we will need character like that to keep our ronin grounded. Not because that is her only purpose, but because seeing that strength in other people would show how everyone, no matter if they are warriors, farmers or royalty (Mashashi soon), can overcome terrible things.

Maybe Jun and her will have council together :laughing:

15 Likes

I agree that there should be a clearer warning about such scenes, PEGI 12 isn’t really sufficient since we are coming across scenes which involve rape, paedophile and cannibalism (it’s worth mentioning that you can’t avoid all of them) but I don’t think that these scenes should be removed, they are important to the story, they are showing injustice, corruption and the grim reality of lower class citizens in the game. I also don’t believe that the only purpose of rape scene was to develop hatch character, it affected him in some way yes, but let’s remember that these kinds of thing affects not only a victim but also people close to them

9 Likes

With all this dark stuff, I am glad that the book still had some funny moments.

8 Likes

Am I right to believe there’s no happy ending on this? I did try to at least achieve a better ending for my ronin, but all I get is him leaving everyone behind.

1 Like

Yes, the ronin will always leave their companions behind. It’s sadly unavoidable. :cry:

3 Likes

How do you know that “many” here are victims?
Was there some poll or discussion here that I missed or are you making assumptions?

So hypothetically speaking would you want all future CoG’s to have a warning at the beginning about car accidents?

How many warnings for potential triggers should be given? Because there’s millions of things that can be considered “hurtful”. That’s why typically a rating is given. This series is Mature and is stated to have violent and sexual themes. Rape falls under the former so I don’t see the issue?

And regarding the pedophilia complaint, then I suggest folks here drop discussions of romancing Masami since you might traumatize someone.

10 Likes

Problem is, it’s not, which surprise me because I do believe that a year ago or so samurai of hyuga book 1 was rated PEGI 18, and to be honest I didn’t even noticed warning about mature themes on the front page, I readed the first line and after realizing that its description of the game which I already readed I skipped to the beginning of the game

3 Likes

Sure, and in my opinion it does that. Several of the characters receive resolution (at least until Book 4), and some do not. The fact that this is a book in a series, and a long series at that, is enough to know that not everything is going to be tied up nicely. Also, considering Books 1 and 2, I don’t think they were full storylines that were complete standalones either.

@Bourbon_neat you and me both :joy: Can you imagine? Tbh I wouldn’t have minded a kitsune on the squad, if they help eliminate other demons. I’m less excited about the manipulation part, though.

7 Likes

Which is why I tagged it as a meta comment. I was referring to the whole incident on the basis of why its inclusion is necessary (or not) and what was the point of it

Everyone knows the MC is unaware of the incident but us as the players do. Which is why it begs the question of: was it to induce audience pity, invoke a certain reaction? What were the stakes involved? Did it help her grow as a character? Did it throw her in another path?

For Momoko’s character – which again was largely absent, and imo her reaction should have been included, even if it was a glimpse – what was the point?

If she wasn’t the point, as you’ve mentioned:

This points out what I’ve mentioned. The point of Momoko’s suffering is not for her own character development but to futher elaborate on another’s. Jun(ko) is particularly emphasized in terms of their psych state, and one can only guess how the MC will react to the news and much more Hatch

This strikes me as unfair at the very least. There are 3 books left in the series and I hope that the author will address this with the gravity it deserves

8 Likes

Ah that’s too bad. I was hoping for it though, guess we have to wait for the next one. I lost so much sleep because I kept on trying. I should’ve known that it was inevitable.

1 Like

I honestly feel like I’m the only person who took Jun/ko’s scene in a positive context.

When I completed the book the first thing I did was research the topic of childhood trauma, the knowledge of Jun/ko being a victim of sexual abuse motivated me to educate myself. SoH brought my attention to something that is so often neglected, it raised my own awareness and for that I am grateful.

Part of what draws me to fiction that addresses ‘gritty’ themes is the realness of it all. Because reality does not disregard or hide the ugly truth of the real world. Silence of the disharmony and corruption that plague our realities can breed violence and abuse. Therefore, I genuinely appreciate that the subject of paedophilia was brought to light.

Also, somebody please explain to me how the subject of Jun/ko’s sexual child abuse is inappropriate when the topic of romancing Masa is appropriate? Is the subject of paedophilia completely disregarded when it is for your own personal interest? What kind of warped logic is that?

Jun/ko’s reference to paedophilia is optional, you are given two warnings for Kuniko’s scene from Kohaku, and there is an explicit warning at the beginning of the book and on the app description. Whether you’ve seen or regarded the warning changes nothing, the warning signs are still there.

To those who are still voicing their concerns over the appropriation of suggestive themes, the author has provided more than enough caution.

26 Likes

Oook? That kind of makes sense, however, that doesn’t fully explain why Sensei didn’t choose Jun/Ko as the heir.

1 Like

Did I miss this conversation in this thread? Because I’ve been volleying for M not to be a romance option since ages ago but I’ve been repeatedly shot down as M is “old enough” (despite being codefied as a child and not as a “childish” young adult)

As for the inclusion of Jun(ko)'s own trauma, I hope this is also going to be a nuanced discussion within the game and not just a tragic backstory.

5 Likes

Ahh yes, my favourite topic of discussion… Boy, do I have a theory for you all.

Jun/ko is a victim of sexual abuse, they have been plagued by the trauma all their life without even identifying it as shame. Perhaps Jun/ko blames themselves in some way- for experiencing involuntary physical pleasure, for not reaching out and letting their father continue, for being submissive. This can explain why they have an obsession with power and being in control, as they once were not in control of their own body.

Moreover, their abuser was their own father, to a child that is a high position of trust. It can be interpreted that he established emotional coercion tactics and physical force to degrade their own child, leaving Jun/ko’s still developing mind psychologically warped for life.

Jun/ko’s childhood trauma has contributing factors to their traits of aggression and hostility. The trauma may have influenced their impulse control, emotional regulation, and general awareness.

Which leads to my theory: the robbing of Jun/ko’s innocence altered their mentality in such a way that has decreased their ability to cope with later stressors. Thus, their liability to be consumed by the Jigoku Ittō-ryū and the reason why Gensai chose the MC over Jun as the heir.

Jun/ko is not suitable as the heir of the Jigoku Ittō-ryū because they lack the mental stability to control the demonic power.

29 Likes

That ending. I am shook. I just wanted everyone to be happy :sob:. It seems this book will be the turning point to a more darker story line. I just hope there will still be some form of levity and jokes to balance out the despair.

Regarding some of the controversial stuff discussed on earlier posts, I wanted to give my two cents:

1. Momoko’s role in the story

I defended Momoko during book 2, saying she is a flawed but good character, and I will do it again for book 3.

She is more than that. Momoko’s arc when she fell in love with the MC played an important role in the story regarding the MC, something that only she could do, which was challenging one of the MC’s core belief: that the MC are not worthy of being loved. Even when it is not reciprocated, this is the first time for the MC in receiving a different kind of love than the one they know all their life from Jun/ko.

When the MC were thinking of approaching Toshio with their feelings, the MC noted how difficult it was by declaring how brave Momoko was for confessing her feelings. The MC used Momoko as an example of how to start a proper relationship, which was new to the MC. So, Momoko played an important role in the MC’s emotional development.

If she flaunted her assets at the MC a large number of times on book 2, then it is completely in accordance to the context, as she was in love with the MC, and so was actively trying to seduce them. Nothing wrong with that.

The fact that she had a backstory (which you stated before), character arc and progression into her motivation meant she is a full, fledged character.

The world of Hyuga is not an idealistic one. Just because one has good intentions does not mean they will be rewarded the result they want. Just because one in actively trying to redeem themselves, doesn’t mean they will reach redemption.

Regarding her lack of focus in book 3, it is an unfortunate result of being away from the MC, since the story follows them closely. I agree that a little snippet of her progress in her objective will definitely help make her more relevant.

As for the mutilation , Momoko and the MC share the role of tragic characters. That scene is, for Momoko, the equivalent of Ige’s death for the MC. Both Momoko and the MC will either overcome this adversity and become stronger for it, or it will be the end of the line for them.

1. Kuniko’s rape

This scene was significant for 3 characters:

A. Kohaku

At this point in the story, Kohaku still believed that Samurais are just and can do no wrong. To dispel this notion, Kohaku had to catch samurais committing a crime red-handed. A drastic crime is needed for Kohaku to have a drastic change in perspective, which is why that scene was used. Not only was the scene drastic, it was a crime that takes a relatively long time to commit, which allowed Kohaku to witness the scene in-progress which was very important. If, for example, Kuniko was simply murdered instead and Kohaku found the body, he may just conclude that bandits did it via mental gymnastics, and not samurai.

Kohaku, after witnessing that scene, was faced with the truth that cannot be denied, that destroyed his core belief and starts his character development.

B. Kuniko and Hatch

The aftermath of the scene showed more of Kuniko’s strength of character, which has only been slightly implied, as well as increasing Hatch’s motivation to improve his skills, and gives him perspective to the troubles of the land, which foreshadows him taking Shatao’s place

Hence, I believe the scene was definitely an effective scene for its purpose. Also, it comes as a surprise to me when people did not expect rape to be mentioned, considering the MC is a child born from rape meant the author does not shy away from this topic, and this is in book 1.

Another thing that is curious to me is that while Momoko’s mutilation and the rape scene seems very controversial here, not many have mentioned the decapitation of Ige, who is barely an man/adult? which should be treated with the same gravitas than the two scenes, but doesn’t appear to cause as much controversy?

30 Likes