Samurai of Hyuga Book 3 (Patreon/Early Access info on Post 1297!)

low-fantasy
gender-choice

Now you see why I’m very adamant about holding on to my hope! Lol

Book 4 might turn out completely different from what we expect it to be :sweat_smile:. Also I think, Masami/Masashi is going to stick around until the end. Can’t say the same about jun/ko though, she might even end up dead before that. Nonetheless I have a feeling, jun/ko isn’t the main plot but also like @MichaelCrank said, I think it’ll be upto us to spare her/him or otherwise. Damn,can’t wait any longer. Excitement- 100

I wonder if we actually could kill Jun/ko off at the end of Book 4? I can only imagine the branching that would lead subsequent titles to have. What kind of consequences having their death on our Ronin’s shoulders would be? All the questions.

I hope IF we get the option to kill Jun/ko it’s in the last book. Killing him/her so soon would feel… idk weird. Also, I doubt Devon will FORCE us to kill him/her so if we choose not to kill on Book 4 imagine all the branching in the next books. Nah. I highly doubt it. And if we are FORCED to kill Jun/ko… :confused: I will be terribly dissappointed.

Yup! That would definitely narrow down the storyline now that you mention it.

I uh don’t know if this is the right place to post this (and if the author even approves of fanfic? I saw some on ao3 though…) but I randomly got inspired to write a drabble fic for everyone’s favorite Ronin/Jun instead of, you know, working on my WIP. Also, if there’s a way to do the ${} thing on forum pls let me know lol bc while the fic is written with Jun, it was only bc I didn’t want to use the distracting Jun(ko) format oops.

Edit: shoutout to @shiaya for the insp to write a game fic but I missed the deadline ;-;

Warnings(?): angst, Jun/Ronin (or the other way if that suits your fancy), heavy-handed weather symbolism, dysfunctional relationships (well it IS Canon-compliant so uh), ideal background music - that rain app I downloaded for this fic bc the rain stopped halfway while I was writing lol

時雨

|時雨| shower in late autumn

Hyuga is wavering on the cusp between seasons.

The nostalgic, temperamental rain of late autumn falls from the heavens in thunderous gushes; a vengeful lover wrecking havoc upon the earth in one last insistent demand for attention.

You drop the daily necessities from your supply errand down onto the wooden engawa, where it lands with a thud muffled by the pouring rain.

Sensei’s lodgings are modest by Hyugan standards, but the distance between the porch and your quarters is still too great for anyone except him to have heard the sound.

And yet when you slide the _shoji_doors open, Jun is there.

“Sensei’s still out?” You toss the question out into the indoor air, stale but warmer than the chill of rain outside.

Jun barely acknowledges you with a grunt of assent. His eyes, glowing amber in the dark light, are staring transfixed somewhere below your face.

_Oh. _ Your robes, dampened by the heavy rainfall, cling to your frame in revealing curves and lines. The realization ripples across your face, and you watch as Jun’s expression twists in raw _hunger. _

That familiar gaze is basically undressing you now - not that there would be any new secrets between his eyes and your body to uncover - but you force the answering surge of desire rising within you down.

It would only be too easy to distract yourself from the worries weighing you down by using Jun as an outlet. But then you would still have to deal with them in the morning, with an additional slice of debilitating guilt.

You change the subject hastily. “What’re you doing out here, anyways? Didn’t you stay in to train?”

The dojo is situated far enough within the house for even Jun to be unable to hurry here in time if he sensed your presence on the doorstep. And you’ve never known your fellow disciple to skip out on his afternoon practice sessions.

But Jun only replies, shortly, “I was waiting for you.”

Something in his glaring eyes, or maybe in the accusatory tone with which he says the word you, throws you off balance.

Not for the first time, you wonder how much Jun knows - or at least guesses - about your conflict with Sensei.

Your momentary hesitation gives enough of an opening for Jun to lunge - literally.

The attack, in the midst of your distraction, catches you off guard. You grapple and tussle, in sport and then in earnest; but your opponent has already gotten the upper hand - and he harbours no intentions of letting it go to waste.

Your brief but vigorous match ends with you pinned underneath him. Strong, calloused hands grip your wrists at either side of your head. His body, sitting astride your waist, is a warm, grounding weight.

Jun leans down, inch by painful inch, as you make your best efforts to buck him off. Both your chests are heaving with exertion, but this close you notice a tremor in him that has nothing to do with the heat of the rush.

“Don’t leave me. You’re not going to _leave me. _” The words are chanted below his breath, as if in a fevered prayer. His amber eyes are unfocused; his pupils dilated and gleaming with manic light.

And suddenly the vice-like hold around your wrists and the restraint of his weight feel as much like his vulnerable fear of losing you as they are his trappings against your will.

Two familiar urges, antithetical yet twins to each other, surge once more within you.

Leave him. He hurts you - physically, no more than anything else, but mentally? Like no other in this world. And do you think he will forgive you for what you’re going to do to Sensei?

Stay. You think he hurts you, but it’s no more than what you deserve. Do you think anything else this world has to offer will be any better? Have you forgotten what life was like without him?

The two thoughts each chase the other in your mind in endless figure eights, their fire and your frustration burning and building until you’re convinced you’re going to explode -

You’re so tired, and it’s not nearly winter yet. The seasonal rain streaming down outside is proof of that. Is it so wrong, just this once, to want to live on in autumn?

You know what to do to end this in a way that everyone will be pleased with.

In one swift, brutal movement, you drag Jun’s mouth down into a rough kiss.

Breathless moans and feral growls drift out of the quarters at intervals, until finally an impatient hand dives between the responsible space and slams the sliding door shut.

Outside, the backdrop of autumnal rain is fading. Soon it too, along with its season, will die.

And beyond, the cold, lonely emptiness of winter.

Why, hello again! You’re such a talented writer, in your own WIP and in fanfiction :smile: I loved this piece! Ronin x Jun is my favorite relationship in SoH, and you captured them so well… I think (?) Devon can’t read fanfiction because he might use it unconsciously in SoH (he said something like that in the blog) but the rest of us are grateful for it!

I would love to read another fanfic from you, this time from Jun’s PoV. Just a thought!

Hiiii :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:Aww, thanks for the compliment (and oops I’ve been caught slacking on my WIP lol) I feel you lol. I thought Masa/Ronin would be my one and only ship, but then Jun(ko) appeared at the end of SOH1 and I was like oh welp time to jump ship(?)

I’ll see if the inspiration bug bites again :smirk:

I’m one of the people who made an account because I’ve been starved for content since finishing all three books. I hope I didn’t miss too much of the conversation. I have a lot of things to say about the things discussed, but I’d rather not dredge up some of the old touchy topics. That being said, it’s kind of refreshing to see a place where when people agree to let a topic die down, it stays that way.

One thing I would like to mention is that I personally like how the characters would act on their feelings for you on their own, as compared to you having to initiate. It makes the world feel more dynamic, up to and including having to interact and work with people who have rejected us or who we have rejected, and how because of our willingness to open up to each other, bonds can actually be strengthened that way. Extra Credits over on Youtube did an excellent video on the topic that explains it much better than I ever could.

I also agree that the Ronin, both male and female, should be able to explore their femininity. It shouldn’t have to be forced upon the player, but I definitely prefer having the option. I understand @Sammysam’s concern about having femininity being forced onto the reader, but I’m also afraid of flip side; that the Ronin is expected to act masculine, to be tough and brash and unyielding, because that’s what it takes to save the world. Femininity and strength should not be mutually exclusive. So I’m very much in favor of an option to explore it. That being said, I would also like to see Momoko and Kuniko have more agency as characters. I’d love to be able to bond with them over the struggles of being a woman in Hyuga as a female Ronin.

Considering the authors own words about it (and the general tendency at least for female characters to get masculinity treated as something to grow out of), I doubt you have much to fear for at least if you play a female Ronin. Can’t speak for the male Ronin of course.

I would hope for the series to allow the players a multifaceted approach to genderroles and expectations, and yes that includes embracing femininity but also the option to reject it, or at least the idea of femininity that the author may has. So I obviously got a bit wary after reading the comment of the author considering the female Ronin and her relationship to femininity (no talk about the male Ronin btw, what also puts me off a bit), because it very much sounded a bit like she has to “grow out” from her masculinity, (which is also a narrative I’m by now a bit tired about because it’s honestly pretty prevalent).

Let’s hope we both get what we want with choices that will not punish either way to play our Ronins.

I only hope “feminity” isn’t just “wearing make-up and pretty dresses”. :neutral_face:

Truth to be told, labeling pretty and wearing pretty dresses should not define as something bad. =/ What’s wrong if some girls like to be pretty and wear pretty dresses? They are still part of the whole womankind. In my opinion, femininity is not defined by how pretty you are. It’s more than that: Femininity for me is a quiet strength that is drawn from the hardship we, as a woman, face throughout our life and history. The strength of being a mother, being a daughter, being a friend and being a fighter.

This… I hope Devon could touch on.

That’s… deep :hushed:
I don’t usually play as female characters but if author explores something like this in future books I’m willing to try.

Is just a personal thing… I don’t mind the “classic femininty”, but for years I’ve been always criticized by family members and people for my lack of interest toward skirts, hight heels, long hair and make-up.
Always basically making me feel “less of a woman” for this. So I’ve basically developed a little of an “allergy” to this thrope.

I feel bad that your family and people do this to you. :frowning:

I know we have our own taste. I, for one, is not really into make up and such and I have been told that I was not womanly enough as well. I have also went through the “allergy for that trope” phase but in the end, we must not let other people define who we are and not limit our perspective because of what experience before.

Though to be frank, I have reached my limit for the Moe culture though. ^^; But both you and I hope that @MultipleChoice would concentrate on a different side of femininity. Not the physical aspect but more on the character aspect.

I don’t mind girly stuff customization as long as is a choice. :slightly_smiling_face:
I just hate it when is forced on my character, or is considered a “goal in life”.

I understand where you are coming from. :laughing:

I also apologize if I delve into it too much. ^^; It will be a long wait for us until we really know how Devon will handle it. We must have faith. :hugs:

I feel you there. Coming from an Asian culture that’s still pretty traditional despite being more egalitarian compared to its neighbors, there’s still a bunch of expectations for me to act more “ladylike” and “refined.” A few days ago, I got chewed out by my parents for being the driver between me and my boyfriend. They said he should be the one driving me places, not the other way around. Whenever me and a female friend say we don’t want to have children, the reply is always “You will in the future.” And I will forever disdain the double standard of women needing to wear makeup to look “professional”.

Still, I like being a woman and expressing my femininity. I like wearing dresses, and I would try to compromise with a person instead of trying to push for my own idea or side. This extends to games that I play. What irks me is the prevalence of the trope Real Women Don’t Wear Dresses and the idea that to be empowered, you have to reject femininity. It’s also why I absolutely adore the Magical Girl genre; it’s a total defiance of this trope by showing that you can be feminine and kick butt, or even that you kick butt because you’re feminine. To quote Shadowjack Watches Sailor Moon:

What I find fascinating about the series is that it really is girl power in action. It does not take traditionally “masculine” action tropes and simply gender swap them, no, and it does not deny or condemn the attraction of the pretty princess fantasy. Instead, it takes all the “feminine” girly stuff like frilly princess dresses and pink unicorns and makes them into implements of power. The hypothetical girl in the audience is being told that she can be as girly as she likes and still dream of growing up into power and responsibility. Feminine articles are not shackles or playthings to be eschewed, or tools good only for obtaining the approval of men — they are treated as cool and desirable things, in and of themselves.
Boy craziness is even part of this, in the way they make the knightly romance fantasy an active one. The girls wanna be swept off their feet by a handsome knight, and, damn it, they’re gonna go out there and find that handsome knight and make sure he does it.

That being said, I’m pretty satisfied with how Devon Connell handled the female protagonist so far, at least in terms of this. Something as simple as the female Ronin making reference to herself as a woman (like the Ronin calling herself a “broad”), or other characters making reference to her as a woman, makes me happy. Gender-neutral writing is fine, but I’ve been slightly disillusioned by it because of the tendency of mainstream games to imply that the MC is supposed to be male (looking at you, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon and Gates to Infinity).

I personally never liked dresses because when I was a child felt like a prison in clothes form: wit a skirt I couldn’t play as I liked, run around, climb, ride my bike. And offered no protection to my legs.

I believed I didn’t want children either. Than I discovered I can’t have children. And now that is not anymore a choice but is my very possible destiny, I feel something have been ripped out of me. It’s a door that have been closed wiyhout my consent, and I hate it.

Can the MC even do it? at their best they lose to Junko, and the MC got the biggest power down I have ever seen in a choice series… while junko just became more of a beast.