S.C.A.R. (Supernatural Combat and Advancement Research)(WIP)[Update 11/10][NEW POLL 3/17]

The game is great and I love the idea and concept, but I do I have a problem with the brave vs wimp stat, especially at the beginning with the waking up scene. If you decide to wake up as to not anger the guard, it increases the wimp. But couldn’t that also be seen as caution or something similar because what’s the point in needlessly angering the guard and getting hurt. I see that as being smart and not taking uneeded risks or damage.

2 Likes

They’ll be normal names both for the MC and the NPCs. You get an actual name since you’re human. The non-human NPC’s may have a code identified with their name, but will have a normal name as well. Because unlike you, they were brought in from the outside as a kid or older, already with their own name.

Having another energy type gauge would be kinda redundant imo. Since mana is essentially a type of energy, I just simplified it and have both magic and control users share the same energy pool.

There are options to avoid the fight and head on to lunch, but they’re under construction at the moment. One of the options is that they’re afraid of getting hurt, so that’s why they head on their way to eat instead. As for the bully, that’s probably about as nice as a warning is going to get from them. For a bully like that, you have to tell them what you want them to do, not ask nicely else they’ll just up and do it again since the warning wasn’t intimidating enough. But with the warning hanging in the air and leaving the outcome for the bully to imagine does the job rather well lol.

I get what you mean. I could have it increase the cunning stat, but then if you help the girl for good reasons it would increase genuine which would detract the cunning stat gain. I’d have to think of another stat to add, not to the opposed stat bars, but to the attributes instead. I’ll give it some thought about what to call it.

Currently its tied to the wimp stat, because the other option is for those that want to rebel against authority, despite the consequences that may ensue. Maybe I could add a Loyal/Rebellious opposed stat bar. Loyal increase if you get up or apologize and rebellious if you don’t.

I was yeah (more letters)

1 Like

The premise of the game is interesting and it possesses an interesting style of detail. This has great potential. I especially enjoyed the necromancer path.

2 Likes

Maybe Order/Rebellious

1 Like

Totally!

By 10 I got my first detention because a substitute teacher I had asked if 2 magnets were women if they would attract or repel and I asked if those magnets were lesbians. I didn’t grow up in an accepting environment so to have this choice in there is just as much escapism as me taking on the role of a vampire or a princess…or a vampire princess! :wink: Do I expect my 10 year old character is going to have sex with the cute girl that she saved from that jerk? Absolutely not! It doesn’t mean she doesn’t want to hold her hand or kiss her though.

4 Likes

Yeah; I’m thinking that that would be a bit… permanent for more minor punishments. Maybe electric shocks? :thinking:

Yeah, a “Loyal” stat would be far better than a “Wimp” one, especially if you’re just following orders…

And you got a detention for that!? :grimacing:

(And still waiting for the cute boys to ogle… :blush:)

1 Like

In my experience, boys got away with a lot more then girls. :innocent:

In the community I grew up in acknowledging the LGBT community was considered “inappropriate”, since we were viewed as perverts and abominations and the like :disappointed:

1 Like

In or outside of America? If you grew up in America I am quite aware of that attitude being unfortunately prevalent in the bible belt. So much ignorance allowed to exist and make life hard for so many people.

That’s interesting. In my experience it was the girls who got away with more misdeeds. Why does implementing equal treatment have to be so hard?!

1 Like

Well, I never heard “girls will be girls” when they did some joke or answered something that adults didn’t like… “Boys will be boys” on the other hand…

1 Like

I saw that more commonly in movies or T.V shows. Which just confused me even more throughout my childhood.

Hahaha well I guess I was just a happily oblivious kid who was having way too much fun climbing trees and going to the beach to pay attention to boys! Thanks for the replies and the lessons.
I’ll have to check out “Deadman Wonderland”, sound interesting!

2 Likes

That would also work.

I’m sorry to hear that. It sucks that there are still areas and people that aren’t more open minded about orientation. As for the character, yup you’re right. If you choose to be attracted to a certain gender(s), the MC will probably seek out comfort, warmth and affection from that person you choose subconsciously if you allow it, as they have never experienced it. Whether if its that of just a friend or that special someone. At the moment the MC has no idea what sex even is. They’d probably have to be shown the ropes or at least told what that is whenever the relationship gets to that point. The only thing so far they know about that subject is if they’re attracted to any gender(s) or not.

Of course lol. I wasn’t planning on having an eyeball removal for sleeping in. :rofl: It was probably more like for minor infractions they’d be punished with no meals for x amount of days, solitary with no meals, like you said electric shocks, minor beatings, etc.

Yeah, I’d still have the brave/wimp stat on certain choices though, but they’d only get granted if you choose certain options to the situations. Like if you defend the girl because its the right thing to do/find her attractive, you would get a brave/genuine boost. If you do it because you want her to owe you, you would still get a brave boost, but instead of genuine it would be a cunning boost. If you choose the future choice of fighting the bully to show everyone what you can do/assert you dominance it would be a cunning/brave boost. But if you avoided the fight, because you were afraid of getting hurt, you would be hit with the wimp stat.

It really is a shame to hear that. Some of the kids I grew up with in grade school were like that. I was in first grade and apparently there was a male classmate in the same grade who a lot of people said was gay, whether it was true or not I had no clue. But he was somewhat ostracized because of it. I had no idea about any of this until one day I was playing "wildball " in the morning with a group of other boys, when he came up to me and asked if he could play, I said sure go ahead. One of my friends nearby me, said “Why did you let him play? He’s gay.” to which I responded “And? What does that have to do with anything?” to which my friend just shrugged it off and went back to playing. I could tell it still bothered him, but at least he didn’t try to stop him from playing. Since then, the boy in question started talking to me and seeking me out from time to time and we became friends. He finally wasn’t alone anymore.

But for kids to ostracize someone because of their sexuality, its not self-taught, they have get it from their parents or other adults. If not from them, they get it from other kids who have and don’t want to be ostracized themselves so they hop on the bandwagon and isolate the children in question. Its despicable. Others after seeing me befriend him, despite what others said, started changing little by little and slowly but surely the kids around us changed for the better. And were more accepting if others were found out to be gay or bi. Like the saying goes, all it takes is one person to make a difference. That saying couldn’t have been more true.

But when adults treat children differently because of it, that’s the main problem. Because adults are set in their beliefs and ways, practically nothing can change their mind once its set in. I can understand if people don’t like it, fine, that’s their prerogative. But they shouldn’t go around being a bigot to those of the LGBT community just because they don’t like them. All they’re doing is teaching their children their values and spreading the hate among future generations.

I wish I was able to climb trees as a kid. But nope, even though I was athletic, I had NO tree climbing ability, if I wanted to get into the tree house at out Grandparents house, I needed to climb a ladder lol. My cousin on the other hand, was athletic as well but could also climb trees like a freaking monkey.

Its a good anime, but the anime stopped way short of the manga. Its a dark anime, about people who fight using their personal blood abilities in hopes of earning enough “points” to leave the prison they’re incarcerated in.

5 Likes

Small update: Added a new stat bar: Rebellion/Order. Changed the opening bed stat gain/diminishes to reflect this. Added a new option for the bully fight and changed the stat gains/diminishes. And fixed a couple of typos I came across.

7 Likes

well its decided im now a necromancer :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Dear god, I was reading up on the code and the creative ways you get to kill somebody is freaking brutal, I’d just like to say good job on those they were pretty good.

Just a Munchkin question though but what are the plans for Witches and Espers? I’m playing a Necromancer but from what i’ve seen in the code, Witches and Espers get 10 less control/magic than the other classes. It also looks like Nephilim get the most stats overall. Will these bonuses get balanced out by future stat gain or other advantages and disadvantages

And a question about the world, Mostly one tied to me questioning the blatant murder in the facility before. How common are supernatural beings anyway? The MC obviously knows at least that multiple species of supernatural exist but how about everybody else maybe outside the facility? Do the Supernaturals just get kidnapped on mass that losing a few children to strengthen the others is an easy policy for the facility?

2 Likes

Thanks, glad you like them. :grin:

Yeah, I’m still trying to figure out the best balance among the 5 types. The witches get less magic than Necromancers, because they’re not specialized I would say. But in turn they can use various kinds of elemental magic and even create magical weapons. The elemental magic is fueled by their magic stat only. But they have physical attack options Necromancers don’t have in return. The magic weapons they can summon deal damage based on their magic + strength stat. So in essence, they can output more physical damage than the Necromancers. Plus somewhere down the line they’ll be able to contract a devil, which will them give them a stat boost that’s permanent.

Espers on the other hand, while they may get less control, they are highly versatile. For physical attacks, they are able to use regular attacks or boost them with their powers. In case of the later, the damage would be their strength + control stat.
For psychic attacks, they are able to use their powers in a variety of ways, with damage based on their control stat with relation to the energy cost. So, the more the ability costs, the higher the multiplier added to the damage. They also have a third way to attack that others don’t have. While the others can only attack via various physical and magical/control abilities, the Esper can use blood attacks. The are able to use various blood abilities, who’s damage is based on their control stat + the health cost of the ability.

I would like to make it be 3 variables, but I only know how to base the damage off of 2 variables. Like stat + stat or stat * x. I don’t know how to make it calculate correctly without getting errors, if I want to add a third variable to the mix. I tried to make a custom variable, but it only worked on the first use, each consecutive use showed the same damage output, even though the stats increase by x amount for each attack you use. So I scrapped it.

They are fairly common, but most keep their heads down so to speak, in fear of being found and captured by S.C.A.R. So most essentially live normal, human lives. But there are those that despise S.C.A.R. and have banded together to form their own organization, bent on taking down and destroying them. I’m deciding how best to work them into the story and come across the MC’s path. Offering a diverging path option for the MC. But whether you can accept this path will be decided by your Rebellion / Order stat. Though it will probably be some chapters before that happens, after all they need time to get certain stats up and such.

As for if the humans know about the supernaturals? Yes, since there are some that break the law and cause havoc or commit crimes, etc. S.C.A.R. is essentially a Supernatural Containment force (on the surface), that captures and weaponize them for their own nefarious deeds (unknown to the public). So they play the good guy, but really aren’t.

But yes, if a supernatural is found out, whether they commit a crime or not, they are taken to the facility to be trained/used. And there are those that are taken at birth like the MC, which are more valuable than the rest. Since essentially they are a blank slate they can hopefully mold to their desires. As for how they are taken at birth? Well, there are both genders at the facility…:thinking:

Using three variable is a bit tricky as choicescript only takes two variables at a time. For three variable use this

Variables used :
Three variables are var1, var2, var3.
Health is the health of opponent
Damage is the total damage to be deducted

*set damage ( ( var1 + var 2 ) * var3 )
*se health ( health - damage )
1 Like

Awesome, thanks for that, I appreciate it. And do I have to create a damage stat in the startup to make use of that?