Royal Affairs Discussion Thread and Romance Guide (Spoilers Within)

I’m planning to put up an introductory thread that’ll explain the premise and briefly lay out the main characters, and an interactive prologue (which won’t be part of the eventual game but is set a few months before it starts, and is a chance to get to know your MC and their situation) on Tuesday 16th :smile: Then Chapter 1 will go on Patreon in June and in public in July; in the meantime I’ll be posting in-depth character introductions, answering questions, and discussing.

Teran isn’t mentioned all that much so far but there are a couple of minor characters in Royal Affairs who show up briefly and a little bit about the relations between Teran and Zaledo come up a bit in some optional Javi and Fabien chats.

I’ll put these notes behind a tag so that people who want to go in without any knowledge can scroll past more easily as they wish:

Teran notes established so far

Some things that have been mentioned ingame:

• Teran is a republic with a President
  • Some people have been awarded the title “Honored”; they don’t have Lord/Lady/Noble titles like in Westerlin
  • Teran has a very influential military presence which, though it’s been a long time since deployed in a major way, can and has been used for intimidation purposes
  • Various foodstuffs (including off the top of my head coffee, lobster, some confectionaries) exported from Teran and the surrounding area are delicacies elsewhere
  • Polyamorous marriages are legal in Teran (as in Jezhan)

A couple of things I’ve mentioned elsewhere out of game or is implied ingame:

• One of the Teranese Islands seceded within living memory (about fifty years ago)
  • Current popular artforms lean towards experimental/avant garde (though I’m sure there are a lot of experimental art fans who “liked it before it was cool”)
  • In general fancy-person etiquette is more flashy/showy than in Westerlin; a very rich aristocrat in Westerlin is more likely to act “modest” about it and try to make it look effortless (“don’t talk about money at dinner!”) whereas Teran is less like that; as a culture it places more value upon open ambition and the work that goes into material success (it varies a lot on an individual level of course!)
  • There is a majority religion, the Church of Teran, which follows the same gods as the Church of Jezhan (as encountered in Noblesse Oblige) but is its own denomination
  • Hospitality etiquette in fancy social circles has some variation from Westerlin

I think that’s about all that I’ve said publicly about the place currently - but I’ll be posting more about it on Tuesday!

11 Likes