Royal Affairs Discussion Thread and Romance Guide (Spoilers Within)

Fenburg is the capital of the country of Westerlin, and Gallatin and Archambault are in a rural mountainous area - also in Westerlin, but quite a long way away.

9 Likes

I just realized that I default to thinking of the Gallatin region as being north of Fenburg, but I donā€™t think that was ever mentioned in any of the games.

Aha Iā€™m conscious of the vagueness of geographical things - I like it being flexible at the moment but I am going to need to start pinning things down at some point. Maybe I can use the excuse of following in Terry Pratchettā€™s footsteps and making setting stuff up while going along?

7 Likes

On the one hand, that leads to plot holes, on the other hand, nobody cares so Iā€™d say that could work

@Sujan_Dhakal Ha! I think some people do care, but Iā€™ll see how it goesā€¦

A little update today - Iā€™m working on Chapter 8 at the moment, which is the Verdancy holidays. Iā€™m currently at 187,444 words total which Iā€™m very pleased with! For those keeping track, thatā€™s bigger than Blood Money was at this stage, and will most likely end up bigger than Asteroid Run (it will not be bigger than Creme de la Creme was at Chapter 8 unless something very unnerving happens, because Creme is gargantuan). Itā€™s also approx 49,329 words playthrough length so Iā€™m getting towards officially being novel length to read!

39 Likes

This is great! Glad youā€™re making good progress! I canā€™t wait to play the next demo when it comes out!

3 Likes

Congrats! So much content I am loving reading this sequel as it evolves. If it does not spoil much, can we expect more poly options in the future? And on that topic setting wise, are poly marriages a thing?

4 Likes

Iā€™m so glad, thank you so much! Iā€™ll put the polyamorous options under the spoiler blur:

* You can be in a triad with Beaumont and Trevelyan

* You can be with Beaumont or Trevelyan or Javi plus Dominique (where none of the three are romantically interested in Dominique, but both partners are interested in the protagonist)

In Westerlin plenty of people are polyamorous, and some people may have non-legally-binding marriages containing more than two people, but polyamorous marriages arenā€™t legal. In the neighbouring country of Jezhan (where my other in-progress game Noblesse Oblige is set), polyamorous marriages are legal, and possibly in Teran too though I havenā€™t totally pinned that down yet (Teran is a major national power in the setting, but is pretty far away from Westerlin, Zaledo and Jezhan and in the current time period Westerlin is cautiously cordial with their government).

11 Likes

And this is great, because now I donā€™t have to pick between my two ROs of choice! :blush:

2 Likes

My dream of a Rosario+ Max poly still alive

2 Likes

So no chance of MC/Asher/Hyacinthe? After the performance the way Asher fangirls over Hyacinthe is adorable, I really want to see something come of it, but then Hyacinthe is also pretty adorable too - I really canā€™t decide

2 Likes

No, Iā€™m afraid not! Youā€™ll still have some time to make the decision though, itā€™s not until chapter 6 that the Asher/Hyacinthe romance can start off properly.

6 Likes

Awww, oh well. As much as I like Asher, I think itā€™s gotta be Hyacinthe. Their scenes so far remind me of an interview LeVar Burton did with Nichelle Nichols and Mae Jemison. Mae Jemison was fangirling over Nichelle Nichols (who played Uhura on Star Trek) and how much of an inspiration she was to black women everywhere, and Nichelle Nichols was fangirling just as hard back, since Mae Jemison is an actual astronaut, Nichelle Nichols just played one on TV.

1 Like

Really happy that my MC can be with both Javi and Dominique also quite unexpected to hear about Westerlinā€™s polyamorous acceptance paint me interested the worldbuilding behind the game is even better than I thought.

Learning about details such as these only make the whole setting more enticing.

3 Likes

Well, since Remyā€™s had her turn in CrĆ©me De La CrĆ©me, Riese has been estatic to put herā€¦classy spin on the series. :smirk:

Riese smirks behind her wine as Remy flips me the bird in mild annoyance. :roll_eyes:

You know itā€™s true, Remy. Donā€™t even bluff on that front. :joy:

3 Likes

Iā€™m really happy that creme de la creme has some sort of continuation. I played the demo and i really like it so far. I really like having Javi as any enemies to lovers trope. I look forward for M/C to have more lines teasing Javi.

8 Likes

A non-foolish update!

Iā€™m really pleased to say that Iā€™ve drafted Chapters 7 and 8, and Iā€™m now sitting on a draft thatā€™s 205,000 words long! Itā€™s about 52K to play through currently, which Iā€™m so pleased with - thatā€™s around a 175 page book.

Iā€™ve also updated the Royal Affairs demo to include all of Chapter 4, which puts the demo at 116,000 words. Please enjoy, and as ever I greatly appreciate any feedback you have!

44 Likes

Nice to hear about that

3 Likes

Well, my laptop fried a couple of weeks ago, so Iā€™m replaying it all!

This should be ā€œcomplimentā€, not ā€œcomplementā€.

ā€œgondolasā€, not ā€œgondalasā€

If (IF) I understand wahtā€™s going on here correctly, I have to say I donā€™t like it - I THINK the only way to make people respond approvingly to your choice in this is to have the right personality traits for each choice, meaning youā€™re forced to either pick an option you donā€™t like or eat disapproval - I think there should be more options for each stance, so more personality types could take them. Alternatively, maybe it could otherwise be tied to the political choices youā€™ve made so far, with Javi remarking on whether thatā€™s consistent with your usual stance or not.

And then the demo is over, so question: do you only have the option to interact with one party at theā€¦ party? Because Iā€™d have liked to interact with Beaumont (favoured RO, even if you canā€™t work on the poly because Trevelyan isnā€™t present, for obvious reasons), but Javi comes to fetch you for what seems to be an urgent important matter (turns out itā€™s not, goddamn you Javi) with Rosario so itā€™s hard to turn her down.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the notes! Complement is what I intended, as in adding to/completing Hyacintheā€™s technique.

That makes a lot of sense! Iā€™ll have a look at branching that out so itā€™s not so restrictive.

That is right! I think Iā€™ll see about clarifying the sense of time, so that it doesnā€™t come as a surprise. I would like it to feel like a time management/character preference decision for the MC but donā€™t want to blindside the player.

7 Likes