Royal Affairs Discussion Thread and Romance Guide (Spoilers Within)

Me: Hmmm, what’s this? I don’t remember coming across this WIP before.

Realizes it’s the sequel to Crème de la Crème

Me: Take my money.

CoG: But it’s not even out yet!

Me:

20 Likes

I don’t think the PC would be allowed to be murderous (CdlC PC can be an unrepentant piece of garbage who can possibly lead to innocent people being trapped in the mines, but that’s the closest they get to killing people).

7 Likes

Oooh maybe an RA MC can ruin Josianne’s reputation enough to the citizens or convince her to pursue career more?
Since Josianne attends Gessner?

Not only that, but they don’t even face any legal consequences for doing so!

2 Likes

Well I would love to be the king.Perhaps our sister tells us how much she hates this princess thing and would ask us to take the throne.

2 Likes

Want to ask, if Zaledo and Westerlin went to war who would win? And which country has the more strong military, like which country has the best land army, air force and navy? War is bad but I’m curious :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Now I’m curious too, all though it would be extremely funny to imagine two kingdoms going to war over a spat between not the two heirs to the throne, but the two spares.

3 Likes

War stuff is potentially spoilery I’m afraid! (less so for Royal Affairs which is generally more focused on internal civil unrest [though there are some…complexities between Westerlin and Zaledo that will become clear] and more for very-much-in-the-future ideas I have for later games) All of which is very cryptic I know! :sweat_smile:

Edit: also MY GOODNESS there’s some absolutely wild stuff to do with the royal family and parliament going on in the UK at the moment and you can bet I’m going to pick over these news stories like a hungry vulture.

30 Likes

Ooohh spoilery hehe that definetly gets me more curious and loved the demo looking forward to the rest of the game.

6 Likes

Just started reading this demo, and really enjoying it so far! There is one place that I felt like none of the options fit my character, so I thought I’d let you know. Feel free to completely ignore this if you’d like, though!

You’re talking to Dominique at the table your first morning there, and this happens:
“I can’t believe you’re here,” he says. “You look like you should be in the palace! Not like the rest of us at all!”

All the options are like “That isn’t a compliment” or “I want to fit in”, but my character loves being royalty and the attention and definitely takes this as a compliment. The closest option is wanting to fit in, but he doesn’t want to fit in. If he could, he’d happily walk around with a crown on his head. But I’m still early on, so it’s possible that there is a reason there can’t be a choice like that. Either way, you can take this with a grain of salt.

Would you prefer I don’t tell you things like this? Let me know, so I know what to do in the future!

6 Likes

That’s really helpful, thank you, please do let me know that sort of thing! if It’s good to know where there are gaps around the main character being able to express themselves. I’ll look at adding in a response that feels right for an attention-loving royal!

12 Likes

Under the character names in the stats, it says things like Diffident/Bold. Is this how you are towards the character in question, or how they are? I checked the stat guide, but I don’t think it says, unless I just missed it.

1 Like

I think it’s more like how they are?
Like how you can nudge Asher to be more diffident or bold which could later affect their end-game/late scene actions and decisions

1 Like

That makes sense. Also, why does Javi hate you? I get if they hated everyone equally, but they act polite to Dominique. Is it because everyone pairs you with them, which they find annoying? Maybe because they like you and that’s how they act to people they like? But the MC never seems to wonder why Javi targets them in particular, so I feel like they must already know.

1 Like

Oooh, this is so interesting! And now I’ll keep making random backstories for my various MCs and Javi. Maybe the bold, daring one pantsed them. And perhaps the goody two shoes MC was always compared to Javi since they were both second children and Javi was told they were second best. Maybe they always low-key crushed on my aro ace MC but she shuddered exaggeratedly when someone talked about them getting married one day, wounding their ego.

2 Likes

I’m guessing this since Javi is probably constantly pressured/nudged to marry MC
If Rosario is married to Prince Jezhan, their family would want Javi to follow in their footsteps and if Rosario married MC, their family would want them to be the “rational one” and make the Westerlind connection
MC is too in some way (like in the letter, Dominique’s comment, the talk with Clemence and during the wedding)
And in the end,as unfair as it is, Javi unfortunately take it out on the MC?

I’m not sure though if this will be one of the main conflicts of the game or it will be a bit easier to convince them to let MC marry for love

This could also be another reason though if you’re going for a Javi romance playthrough XD

Or even more reasons like @HappyPotato said

3 Likes

There were some places where I couldn’t quite express my character, but the choices available were good enough that they probably don’t even warrant changing. I’ll let you know of them anyway so you can decide for yourself whether it is worth it to add another choice. But these are all super nitpicky, so honestly you can just ignore this if you’d prefer.

As the others leave, Javi lingers behind in the theater. “You need to back away,” he says, glowering. “I’m not having you taking charge every time we have a Drama Club session.”

^ My character definitely does want to take charge, so the option “You don’t own Drama Club” is closest, but it sounds pretty aggressive for my cheerful prince, who would moreso take this as a fun challenge. He’d say something like “Then try and beat me” with a smile. (It doesn’t need to be competitive, just a nicer way to respond for people who like the attention would be great.)

In the beginning when the airplane jolts, maybe add an option for the thrill seeker who’s enjoying it? Right before that, I said, “Go faster! This is great fun!” and I kind of wanted to keep that daredevil energy.

For as long as you’ve known him, Asher’s been this way; intensely focused on his work. Which, of course, means making sure you’re doing exactly nothing dangerous.

^ My character likes being a prince and getting coddled as a result. He’s perfectly fine with the limited freedom he’s given, since having people constantly protecting him makes him feel more princely; and since he likes being treated as a prince, he doesn’t want to be equals with Asher. But again, this is no big deal. I just chose “It would be nice to have more freedom to do whatever I feel like”, since it seemed pretty insignificant.

The story is great so far, by the way! Excited to meet the rest of the cast. And while I can’t wait to read more, remember that your health is more important than rushing!

6 Likes

Also, I was wondering about character appearances.

Does Dominique have dark skin? When you first see them, it describes them as “A figure, dark against the ivy”, so maybe the darkness is referring to their skin, but I wasn’t sure.

And what does Vere look like, if you know? I don’t remember any description for her, but I may just be forgetting it.

(If you want to throw in any other character descriptions whilst you’re at it, I wouldn’t mind. I kept forgetting how they looked. But only if it isn’t any trouble.)

1 Like

no, i believe it is just his silhouette against the ivy- not 100% sure though

2 Likes

Dominique has light brown skin
Author Hannah actually answered an ask about this on their tumblr :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

11 Likes