Royal Affairs Developer Diary

Momentum is continuing as I’ve implemented the Chapter 3 and 4 notes, and have just about planned Chapter 5, in which we return to school for the Spring Term! I’m going to get going on the code skeleton over the coming weekend. I feel optimistic about this one - it’s sowing some plot seeds while nurturing other seedlings that were planted in earlier chapters… So soon there will be a beautiful alpine meadow, or something!

30 Likes

Are there any plans for a hyacinthe/Asher triad route ? I loved Cdlc and I am already a big fan of RA ^^

3 Likes

At the moment no, based on the storyline I’ve got planned with them. I’m so glad you enjoyed Crème and are liking Royal Affairs!

5 Likes

How many chapters will you let us read in the demo before the final release? I’m edging on my seat for more school life already, also because now we’ve been introduced to all the major players!

I had this thought, but if we are able to romance peers in parallel, does this mean we can be begrudgingly engaged but have a mistress in the medieval sense and hiding it from our spouse, and perhaps we may also be enthusiastically engaged and our future spouse is cool with us having a second friend?

What I mean is, it seems like a situation may arise, which may not be what you intend for the character, but I just want to use an example, but one heir may marry Javi for the sake of the crown and seek the company of Asher for tender affections since they are always accompanied by us, or we might marry Dominique and they wouldn’t even oppose you spending time with another RO if that’s what you want because that seems like Dominique is okay with that, but I could be totally wrong there also.

These characterisations I made might not be correct at all, and I just am making examples, but this is how I perceived things. With that said, I only just met everyone in two chapters, and obviously, we will truly get to know all of them in more ways in Chapter 3 and 4, which events you teased do seem really exciting.

Really, I’m just excited to see how complicated these romantic and marital entanglements can become. Congratulations on starting Chapter 5! :clap:

1 Like

Hi like it but i just found a Error

1 Like

I’ve updated the demo with a handful of corrections and minor additions - thanks @JoshPlayz_YT and others for noting that error! The main thing I’ve added is on the stats page where I’ve implemented a more indepth content notes/gating system, though in Chapters 1-2 potentially gated content is minimal.

@ArthurVandelay I’ve actually got a notebook page of spiderwebby relationship diagrams which is me deciding who’s happy in what arrangements! Some characters are monogamous but there’s going to be a variety of possible nonmonogamous configurations depending on the characters in question:

• Trio where everyone’s into everyone
  • Relationship where both are into the MC but aren’t into each other
  • Relationship where a character is happy with whatever the MC wants to do with other people
  • Relationship where a character is fine with the MC having physical/possibly romantic relationships with other people but prefers not to know details about it

… and possibly other situations that I haven’t covered yet!

I’m keeping the specifics under my hat for now. I haven’t decided how much of the game I’ll put up… I’d like to show more of it off than I did with Creme, but I’ll probably wait a bit longer to put the next bigger update, just so I keep my momentum on Chapter 5!

36 Likes

Regarding the spider-web possibilities, this was the answer I was looking for. Thanks! The drama that will espouse from the poly situations you’ve listed sounds juicy without knowing any other details!

I’m really glad for it too since being a royal leads to stuff like this when marriages go beyond love and fall into politics. I’m looking forward to see it :+1:.

Best wishes on keeping the momentum!

4 Likes

I already wanna marry Beaumont! So cute.

Would it be good to ask for the gender of the former MC’s spouse? I romanced Max in the last game but currently have not set their pronouns.

1 Like

Aww nice, I’m so glad you like them!

Currently I only have the genders listed of characters who appear or are mentioned onscreen, but I think you’re right that it would be nice to have the gender of the Creme main character’s love interest(s) pickable at the start. It would also make my life easier for if I want to casually begin them at some point!

1 Like

The obvious one there would seem to be with Hyacinthe and Ash. :grin:

I always got the feeling this will be the result of managing to romance Beau and Ash at the same time.
Who were also the only ones I used to be into before you added the cute dancer to the mix. :sweat_smile:

Seems the typical state of affairs in a political marriage with Javi would maybe default to this as I would certainly expect him to carry on seeing other people too but decorum would mean they’d have to discrete about it.

1 Like

Hi ! I’m a big fan of Crème de la Crème and as soon as I heard of Hannah making a new game in the same world, I just needed to click. And I’m not disapointed ! The plot looks great and the characters remind me of Crème de la Crème’s, which is great in my opinion. But other than congratulations and thanks, this comment is also meant to ask something : When ? How is the writing going and when do you plan on releasing the full version ?

3 Likes

Thanks so much, I’m really glad it’s looking good to you! At the moment I’m working on Chapter 5 of 11. I hope it will be released sometime in 2022 but I wouldn’t want to pin down a date at the moment as there’s so many unknowns!

12 Likes

Hey I played the demo again for fun; I noticed something strange with the cards Dominique plays with? I believe Asher picks a card? Does she have multiple options based on prior choices? Because she picked up a card with a seemingly positive future, then I opened the stat page, and then the when I returned to the game, her card was negative. I wonder if this is a bug?

It should be randomised on each playthrough between 3 different options, but I’ll check that it’s working properly!

1 Like

Small progress report: I’ve finished coding Chapter 5, and have done my difficulty balancing. Annoyingly, because I wanted to get on with the writing, I didn’t do much balancing on Chapter 4 so this time I had to do a chunk of two chapters at once! However, the whole thing is now better balanced.

Out of interest, the most wildly unbalanced things were that it was WAY more easy to get low Planner, low Calm, low Forceful, and low Ruthless - which was to due to the proportion of choices I put in that reflected those sorts of personalities. It’s a lot more even now!

44 Likes

I would like to leave a angry note📝 for Zaledo, that’ll put them in place.( hopefully)

Some tips in the rival’s route?

I d’t remember their nane XD

I am among those who have finished playing through Creme de la Creme and find it ver impressive! I wanted to get to play Royal Affairs soon too! When will I be able to play chapter 3 and 4 of the demo?

2 Likes

cannot wait to play this game.

Hello and welcome to the forums, I’m so glad you’re enjoying so far! I’m going to be posting an early access segment of Chapter 3 on my new Patreon on September 1st, and it will be available to play for everyone on September 15th. So it won’t be too long before there’s more to play!

23 Likes