Royal Affairs Discussion Thread and Romance Guide (Spoilers Within)

@BourbonDingo I’m impressed and flattered by your commitment! Well done on getting all the achievements, I don’t think I could manage that!

Quick note, I’ve updated the demo to v1.1 with minor fixes and tweaks! Changelog below:

-Corrected Javi’s relationship stat to appear on the stats page after you meet them
-Corrected others picking cards getting repeated after the player has picked theirs
-Corrected “Beaumont glances after unknown darkly.” to “Beaumont glances after unknown darkly.”
-Corrected “your Highness” to “Your Highness”

-Added suggested options for naming your pet
-Added an adrenaline-junkie option for the first choice, and tweaked the resulting stat changes
-Added “I want to speak for myself” when choosing whether to make your own introduction
-Added “I don’t want to marry for political reasons either” when Javi is pontificating
-Added a note of the MC’s father’s name

-Reworded “I work best at the edges” choice to allow for a broader introverted tone
-Altered wording of pet stats

18 Likes

I stayed up late after finishing Creme and immediately jumped into this demo! I can’t wait to play more of this, your writing is fantastic as always and I love our positions as star royals after playing something of the fallen noble in the last game! :heart: I love all of the characters in this demo so much already, they have such distinct personalities and I can’t wait to get to know them more!

Two small things that I noticed:

• When meeting Dominique, the options “we’ve hooked up a few times” felt a little anachronistic. That’s a super small thing, though!
  • I said that my Creme MC was engaged to Prince Rosario, but the game acted as though he had married someone else! Why, Rosario? Is it because I cheated on you with Blaise? :sob:

I can’t wait to read more, brilliant job as always!

13 Likes

Wow thank you so much, I’m so pleased you’re enjoying it! Thank you! Well spotted on that Rosario bug (poor Creme MC!), I’ve fixed it in the current version now. That could have ended up being an obscure bug to spot. Phew!

I know exactly what you mean about that “hooked up” line, I thought a lot about that when I was writing it. I wanted to go for something that could encompass kissing or more physical stuff, but not being specific straight off about exactly what the MC and Dominique did (that’ll be brought up as and when MC and Dominique get romantic and/or sexual with each other). And also not automatically stating “I had romantic feelings about them”. I’ll have a think! I may need to add another choice in to allow more specificity.

11 Likes

Maybe “we’ve dallied together” or “have been amorous” or something? :joy: The option that read “we’ve got up to mischief at parties” actually made me think that was another way of implying… you know! :joy:

4 Likes

i believe it was Beaumont’s introduction scene. It could be possible that i unwittingly picked the a different choice in the randomized route. It might just be me but i can see Gallatin being talked about if Renaldt was either sacked or imprisoned; regardless on who replaces her as Headteacher.

2 Likes

This is going to sound stupid but can we romace Beaumont? he my 2nd favorite

1 Like

I believe that we can. Beaumont, Asher, Javi,and Dominique are the 4 ROs listed under romances. You can romance more than one at a time.

@HannahPS
For the small sausage dog, I wonder if there will be an option to take it inside with us as a lap dog. Little Coffeebean is adorable and I want to see more of her.

7 Likes

Ahhh finally managed to sit down and play this, time to spew all my thoughts.

First I’m still screaming over the fact the Creme MC and Rosario finally tied the knot!! (I really hope Rosario liked their non-cremeMC spouse as much as they liked us , they deserve the world). That’s probably going to be my default ending - though I might run a game with what I dub my ‘best future headcanons’ ending where MC marries Gonzalez but also carries on his torrid affair with Florin post graduation. May or may not teach at Gallatin / Gallatin/Archambault merger depending on if a teacher MC has screentime in this game.

Loving the ‘how the other half lives’ vibes with Royal!MC being pampered at every turn. (Still in awe that we get out own fancy suite wow).

I really like all the ROs introduced so far, which surprises me since in Creme I had my clear favourites and then the ones I ran through just to get 100% completion.

Dominique is a sweetheart (who my morally bankrupt MC will absolutely woo away from Javi purely to spite the latter), Beaumont is intriguing (and is also is giving me major Delacroix vibes which I love) and I really really hope MC and Javi have Belligerent Sexual Tension all the way down. Also regarding Javi, exactly how many years did it take for a Creme MC who romanced Rosario to graduate from ‘gold digging strumpet’ to ‘eh just a commoner’ in their eyes lol, god they;re such a little jerk.

I’m looking forward to the two Gallatin ROs too. Will one of them be a scholarship student similar to Freddie I wonder? MC doesn’t really have any super common, working class ROs like Karson or Freddie yet (Asher might not be nobility but I think his and MCs relationship might be handled a big differently compared to if MC woos another commoner because of his family’s relationship to the crown). The logical part of me thinks that MC just straight up won’t be allowed to get together with anyone too low in status, but the part of me that likes cheesy romance novels really hopes we get the equivalent of a Freddie/Rosario social class matchup with one of the ROs.

I’m also looking forward to the wider range of poly dynamics! Crossing all my fingers and toes that Beaumont and Dominique can be romanced together because ooo am I a sucker for sensible-snarky/cheerful-spacy opposite attracts dynamics.

And anyway I’ve gone on too much, I’ll be counting down the days til this releases!

Edit: Done some more playing around with the Creme endstates, and I’m very amused that Javi can potentially go to a school where their own sibling-in-law is a teacher. We’re probably not going to see many interactions with Creme!MC(who’s Rosario’s spouse) and Javi outside perhaps Javi’s own route considering this is Royal!MC’s story, but I do wonder if Creme!MC will comment on a Javi/Royal!MC endgame. Also I’m salvating over potential interactions between Creme!MC and Royal!MC when the latter is a teacher.

11 Likes

Oh my God, I’m so glad I’m not the only one who immediately decided to do this! :joy: My heart belongs to Asher, but I’ll be damned if I’m not going to flirt with Dominique solely to establish dominance to Javi lol!

5 Likes

lol the moment I saw Javi highkey flirting with Dominique my brain spat out a whole damn novella on the spot where an MC who’s ambivalent towards/doesn’t like Dominique much goes after Dominique solely to see the look on Javi’s face, only to get sucker punched by ~real feelings~ for Dominique later on in the year.

6 Likes

@HannahPS

There’s one option that stood out to me as weird

#I’d target the politicians with secrets and threaten to reveal them.

This option is kind of…well, dumb. Rule number one of being a coercive manipulative blackmailing piece of shit is to not go around advertising that you are a coercive manipulative blackmailing piece of shit. So this option makes the mc look like less of a underhanded manipulator and more of a total idiot. mc even explains that it’s important to have a good rep to get away with it, but admitting your willingness to commit a crime in front of your teacher and classmates isn’t a way to achieve that rep.

8 Likes

I took it as a “provocative” answer, designed to set your professor off on a rant… idk if it does this, but that is the way I looked at the choice.

1 Like

Ooooh. I’m excited about this!

1 Like

For what it is worth, I think it sorta fit my main mc…who, like Rosario, has expiremented and Dominique was and maybe still is one of his friends with benefits…but it wasn’t especially romantic, just some innocent fun.

Aww… Well, normally I’d agree but in games where he ended up teaching Hartmann is one hot teacher. :wink: And not actually that far removed from the mc age-wise…although Macron…yeah…I’ll just shut up about that now.

Not sure I’d agree…well technically they could be…but it requires Javi, the guy with no detectable redeeming qualities. So, no thanks for me.
My mc is most likely to develop a crush on Asher (I mean cute, super hot, loyal and fun, what’s not to like?) or Beaumont…who for me at least fill the mysterious “bad boy” and ice prince we get to defrost tropes much more than Javi does. Especially because unlike with Javi my mc is actually interested in finding out what makes Beau tick and getting into his pants.

Based on chapter 1 it is really a tossup between Beau and Ash for my mc.

Speaking of Asher I wish that in chapter 1 there was a way to drag out the part where they mistake Asher for the mc and vice versa as my mc thought it was fun seeing the headmaster grovel all over Ash. :grinning:

2 Likes

Oh, a new project! I love the interactive games you write, this will be a blast then.

1 Like

Sparring with a royal princess :rofl::ok_hand::ok_hand: you have just made my day, I cannot wait to read this. This will surely be one of the best CoG’s along with Creme de la creme.

5 Likes

Quick question! Is there a reason the Archambault people almost immediately jump into calling our royal MC by just their first name? I know this demo’s basically just a teaser at this point, but I was wondering if you were already planning to add a “form of address” choice like in Creme!

3 Likes

@violet That’s a good question! I hadn’t planned to have that in there, but it would probably be good to have something where you can say “I want people to be formal with me” or “firstname, please, don’t stand on ceremony”.

I think there’s a case to be made for this bit showing that there’s one rule for the MC / Archambault students, and one rule for people of other classes (the question in itself is fairly ghastly, ethics wise, and I wanted it to be in order to demonstrate something about the Academy’s values). I’ll have a think about the wording to make it demonstrate that better!

6 Likes

Who knows, maybe Javi has some redeemable qualities…
That or Rosario talks some sense into his sibling.

A really nice, sweet and caring sister/brother/sibling?

6 Likes