Welcome to the Developer Diary thread for my CoG project, Royal Affairs! This is a standalone game that takes place several years after Crème de la Crème, with a brand new player character.
The plan: to host this thread for questions, discussions or feedback. My goal is to release in 2022, with the caveat that life is constantly throwing me curveballs that may delay things.
The story so far: I started working on this game in April 2020. Currently I’m writing Chapter 9, and the game is around 215K words. The demo showcases the first four and a half chapters.
As the middle child of the Westerlind royal family you live a charmed, if sheltered, life. But with the royal family facing criticism for being out of touch with the lives of ordinary Westerlind people, it’s time for you to leave your gilded home and prepare to take on more royal duties! You’re headed to Archambault Academy, where you will study leadership, rhetoric, and politics and be moulded into the perfect royal scion … and, likely, with a perfect royal betrothal on the horizon.
Work hard, play hard, or both! When political upheaval starts to hit close to home, where will you stand? Will you be a shining example, or bring scandal to the royal family?
Playable Genders and Orientations
You can play as male, female, or non-binary; gay, straight, bi, pan, asexual, and/or aromantic.
Creme de la Creme to Royal Affairs Continuity
At the start of Royal Affairs, you can set some things that happened during Creme de la Creme. Alternatively you can randomise it. Currently the customisable elements are:
- Creme protagonist name and pronouns
- Creme protagonist personality: “scheming and sharp”, “bold and no-nonsense”, “flighty and charming”, “graceful and calm”, “earnest and helpful”, or “my character isn’t really like any of these, I’d rather use my imagination”
- Did the Creme MC romance anyone? Did they get engaged to anyone?
- Did the Creme MC help Lady Renaldt with her plans?
- What happened to Lady Renaldt at the end of the game?
- Was Gallatin College still open at the end, and if so who was the headteacher?
- What were the Creme MC’s life plans after graduation?
- What are Auguste, Rosario, Karson, Hartmann and Florin’s pronouns?
- What did Karson and Hartmann do after graduation?
Westerlin is a country with a staid, formal culture in the upper echelons of society. Currently only adult owners of property above a certain value can vote for Members of Parliament, cutting off democratic participation for most of the population. But change is stirring, with peaceful and not-so-peaceful activists working to bring voting rights to all adults.
Archambault Academy is an exclusive boarding school in the mountains of southern Westerlin. Attracting royalty, titled aristocrats, and those who have amassed enough money to send their children to such a place, this is where Westerlin’s future leaders are trained. They are expected to become academics, politicians, military leaders, thinkers – luminaries in high society.
Your pet: a dog, horse, or bird of prey which comes with you to Archambault.
All Peer characters are can be befriended, romanced, or married. They are gender-flippable, and you can pick their genders as they are introduced, have them be randomised, or set them all to a single gender. There are two other major characters who are Gallatin students and will appear later: they are able to be befriended, romanced, or married.
My aim with this game is to provide rich interactions with the characters, whether romantic or non-romantic, as well as allowing asexual protagonists to have as fun romantic interactions as allosexual ones.
Of course, there are rivalries as well, and romances will not always go the way you planned…
Asher Garnett: your bodyguard, a traditional, eager to please person who thrives on duty, and whose family traditionally serve the Crown as guards. Asher is your age, and you’ve known them since you were a pre teen
Lord/Lady/Noble Laurie Beaumont: intense, aloof, outrageously wealthy heir to a financial empire. Beaumont works very hard, and is popular among some of the Archambault staff, but the teachers sometimes don’t quite know what to make of them or how to handle them.
Honorable Dominique de Saint Martel: excitable, unthinking, and wants to be everyone’s friend and for everyone to get along. Dominique’s family is close to the royals, and you’ve known Dominique since you were children: you can have friendly, antagonistic, or romantic history with them.
Hyacinthe Van Clare: demure ballet dancing prodigy attending Gallatin College. Hyacinthe adores performing and works very hard. They follow etiquette rules with painstaking care, and are polite to a fault. They are rather shy, but onstage their power of expression is notable.
Prince/Princess/Heir Javi of Zaledo: the younger sibling of Rosario, Javi is a sceptical, flamboyant royal who likes to think they are very worldly wise. They have a strong passion for the arts, and love to be the centre of attention. They want very little to do with you.
Estell Trevelyan: the hotheaded Head Prefect at Gallatin College, Trevelyan is a staunch supporter of universal suffrage and has their eye on political office after they leave school. Trevelyan isn’t afraid to tell others what they think, but they aren’t all fire and bluster - they study hard to achieve their aims.
Multi-Romancing and Polyamory:
Some of the romanceable characters prefer monogamy. Some can be romanced in parallel (in some cases, the player’s metamours may be friendly, in others they may grudgingly put up with each other), or in a triad.
More detailed notes about romances (even more spoilers!)
- Asher and Hyacinthe are both monogamous. If either of them are romanced, you cannot romance anyone else alongside. If the MC doesn’t romance either of them and gives them their blessing, they will get together.
- Beaumont and Trevelyan can be romanced either separately or as a triad. If the MC doesn’t romance either of them, they will get together.
- Dominique can be romanced alongside Beaumont or Trevelyan as a C, where Dominique and Beaumont or Trevelyan are in a romance with the MC and not with each other. (This does not apply if Beaumont and Trevelyan are together, or if the MC is in a Beaumont/Trevelyan triad.) Dominique isn’t romantic with Beaumont or Trevelyan.
- Javi is asexual and does not do kissing or sex with the MC. If the MC romancing Javi is allosexual, there will be conversations about how they want to handle that as a couple when they’re at a committed stage.
- Dominique can also be romanced alongside Javi as a V. Depending on how their relationship progresses and how it feels when writing, they may get more romantic with each other over time; it’s not been written yet and isn’t set in stone.
At the Royal Court
Queen Estell IV: your mother, who has strong expectations about how your life will be mapped out
Princess Josiane: your elder sister, who is anxious for the future of the royal family
Prince Oliver: your younger brother, who is at a rebellious mid-teen stage and starting to push boundaries
Lord Fabien de Cadaret: your mother’s university friend and Westerlind Seneschal, which involves diplomacy, negotiation, and a lot of scheduling