Roots (Mythology WIP) - Updated 12/16/20

Alright I made some adjustments to the code to fix what @Sel_Lee mentioned so hopefully that should be running smoothly now. Please let me know if you’re still having problems.

@Anathema :sob:
Thank you so much for the nice review! It made my day :’)

Come next update you will definately find out who the bus driver is, if you weren’t able to guess already!

@Luvvguilty That comment made me snort when I read it lol. As someone who has worked in the back of house and the front of house, I agree that dealing with people all day can be exhausting and I’d much be in the back doing my own thing 9/10 :pensive:

4 Likes

chapter1 line 183: Invalid expression at char 14, expected NUMBER, STRING, VAR or PARENTHETICAL, was: EQUALITY [=]

Oof

1 Like

Aww noooooooo.
That’s what I get for trying to update first thing in the morning lemme fix that reallll quick.

edit: ok nowwww it should be fixed or else I’m gonna pull my hair out lol

5 Likes

the new update was SO GOOD DEERS :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart: I’m excited as hell to read more and have my heart stolen by all the ROs

1 Like

I just played it again, and yes it’s fixed. Goes much smoother (:
I’m playing as a cynical jerk with the same name as my cousin (sorry cuz) and I love it.

4 Likes

I KNEW THAT BUS DRIVER WASN’T TRUSTWORTHY!!! :confounded:

1 Like

Also wanted to share some fanart I got recently! Please check out all these wonderful artists :sob:
The links to their social media are all posted in the first post!

Thank you all so much for reading and hopefully I can get a proper update sometime soon!

32 Likes

Looks amazing!

1 Like

Is that Misao smoking, bad, bad fox-demon boy. :fox_face: :smiling_imp: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

True. :heart_eyes:

Awww…poor fox-boy, so he doesn’t need to sleep at all? Can he sleep? If so my mc would suggest he try it some time.
Also found where his fondness for cigarettes comes from, switching his old-fashioned style pipe for them is probably the signal he’s getting more used to modern times, eh? :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Misao is always smoking, though now that I think about it that may not be what you meant.

4 Likes

Sorry this took me so long to reply!
As the story goes on Misao will slowly get more and more acquainted with modern day advances. It’ll take a little bit of time but they’re a fast learner!

I laughed. Misao is indeed smoking :joy:

9 Likes

Just finished playing the demo; I totally enjoy and love it! The premise looks really interesting, I am looking forward to how things will progress! I am totally in love with your writing style :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: It makes it easy for me to totally fall into the world you have offered. I am not Japanese. but I really appreciate the way you have portrayed the different cultures in this demo. It feels really respectful and it’s obvious you have researched extensively on the topic. Which I really, really appreciate!!!

Thank you for sharing a great work xx Looking forward to the next update, but please don’t feel too pressured! Have a great day:heart:

8 Likes

Thank you so so much for the sweet words!! You would not believe the amount of tabs I have opening when I’m writing trying to fit in as much stuff as I can while still trying to keep things interesting :sob:

It’s absolutely crazy but it’s been just about a year since I first posted the demo here. And all of you have been so incredibly kind and supportive. And I’ve met so many cool people in the community since then! School has me pretty booked on spare time, but I really do want to celebrate somehow.

We’ll have to see in the next coming weeks if I’ll be able to do something because I know I really want to!!! Even if it’s something really small.

28 Likes

I wonder will the mc be able to turn or become something other than human

1 Like

I’m sorry but I currently do not have plans for the MC to turn into anything else.

7 Likes

Had this wip open for a while now waiting to be read, and I’m so happy I did :smiley: I feel like you gave a good amount of personality to the mc and I’m very intrigued to how the story is going to continue!

4 Likes

Interesting story so far, can’t to see what happens next!

I found a couple pronoun switches:

1 Like

@Delfunia

Thank you so much for the kind words! I hope you continue to enjoy the wip as I continue work on it!!!

@cottoncandy
Thanks soooo much for pointing those mess ups out :scream:
You’d think I’d have all of those mistakes corrected already!

Hello Everyone!!! I know I promised I’d do something to celebrate this wips one year anniversary so here it is! A small update!?

New Things:

1. Achievements! So far there’s seven but as the game grows so will the achievement list.
  2. Another Scene to the Hawaii Route. Still very far from finished but there’s a little bit more to that route than there originally was.
  3. Added a randomize gender option when you first meet Misao. After talking to @flocktrops I decided to add this option for all those indecisive peeps who just want to let fate decide.
  4. Changed the Charming stat to Outspoken - simply felt like that was a better descriptor based on how I’ve been using it in-game so far. Please let me know if there are any hiccups because of that.

I also made a playlist for Roots since all of the achievement titles are based off songs I like to listen to while I write/brainstorm about the game! Just something fun for me and anyone who’s interested. You can listen to that right here.

edit: @Fitra_Ai and @idonotlikeusernames
Should be fixed! I knew something like that would happen gfsgsfdg

24 Likes

So excited for the update! Eeee <3
But it seems like i’m stuck at this part? :sweat_smile:

Summary

3 Likes

I’m also getting stuck, seems that while you changed the name of the stat some parts of the game are still looking to reference the old “charming” stat, so it crashes when they can’t find it.
Here’s my error message:

chapter1 line 622: Non-existent variable ‘charming’

3 Likes