Roots (Mythology WIP) - Updated 12/16/20

If you all weren’t aware, the Roots Tumblr reached 300 followers! In honor of it @peaches posted a short prequel about Misao and the Pearl right before the start of the game. It’s great and worth a read!

16 Likes

Hey everyone, finals week is finally here for me. I know I’ve been dead silent over the last month or two for the most part, but I should be more active again starting next week.

I made a couple of little patches after doing a test playthrough recently, but otherwise much of the demo is the same.

I really look forward to being able to have time to work on Roots again, and I apologize that I haven’t updated in a while.

Thank you all for being so patient and I hope (we’ll see what actually happens) to have another update out by the end of this month at the very least.

Thank you guys again :slight_smile:

35 Likes

Good to have you back! I hope finals went well.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

what got you to make roots

1 Like

So I promised my followers on my tumblr that once I reached 400 followers I’d have a little present for them. An Update!

The latest version of the demo will have:

• The First Half of the Newest Version of Chapter 2
  • The Completed Version of Chapter 2 from Last Update
  • Slight Rewrites for the prologue and Chapter 1

I go back to college this coming Monday, and the 400 followers was as good as an excuse as any to push out what I have so far!

Please feel free to post any bugs or just if you want to interact in general!

Also @Takashi_Shin Roots was based off a short story I wrote in one of my creative college writing assigments mixed with a unpublished wip I had been working on for a little bit but never posted! I love mythology and thought that Hawaii had awesome potential for the story like the one I wanted to tell.

Thank you for taking interest!

31 Likes

I tried pick to get on bus but not working so think it not finish // never mind it work now //

1 Like

Aww…it still cuts out when we’re just starting to get somewhere exciting. Still glad to see an update though. Does time flow differently in the demon dimension or is my poor mc going to have a hell of a time explaining his going “missing” to his parents and possibly his school and work later on?
But, yay! an update and Misao is as cute and funny as ever.

9 Likes

Glad you enjoyed the update! Also about time skipping shenangians, I’m afraid I’m going to be mum on that for story reasons. I hope you understand!

I panicked so bad, when you posted that haha! I made sure to triple check that the new content was available before updating, so I’m glad that it worked out!

4 Likes

So I just realized I talked about this a lot on my tumblr but didn’t really mention it on here. I introduced two new characters that you will be meeting later on in the story! I’m still deciding on whether or not to make them romance option but here they are!

First up is Kai:

He is Anela’s cousin and the son of son of Ka-moho-aliʻi, a Hawaiian Shark God.

And Second Ami:

She is the Shinto Goddess of The North American Continent.

If you’re interested I have more stuff about either of them up on my tumblr!
(also both of these profile pics were made using picrew lol)

24 Likes

Ahhh, finally! Can’t wait to check out the update :grin:

1 Like

Ami looks amazing, I can’t wait to meet her later on.

I like the opportunity to donate more money to the shrine, and I love all the little flirtations with Misao we can do now. Especially teasing them.

1 Like

I feel forced into having this “crush”. All I said was that I’m bisexual and the fox is pretty good looking, and all of a suddent the game makes me into a pathetic, blushing, love sick mess.

2 Likes

And here I am simply wanting more of the cutest evil fox-demon boy M. :kissing_heart:
I can’t wait until you get to the point Misao finally gets a clue about the modern world and can start snarking back at my mc more effectively. :grin:

2 Likes

@Sel_Lee So the way I have romance variables set up is that your MC is only “interested” after picking one of two flirt styles bold or shy and depending on how many bold or shy flirts you pick that will affect your MC’s behavior towards Misao.

If you feel like neither of these options fit your MC don’t fear, there will be a couple of times in the game where your character can have an “epiphany” and realize that they like a RO after treating them platonically prior in the game.

Can I ask you what version of Chapter 2 did you play? The bus route or the one where you go with Misao? Because I might have to look over somethings to make sure the code isn’t messing up lol.

Oh man me too. It’s gonna be soooooo fun to write :joy:

2 Likes

No…?

# While ${m_he}'s fairly attractive, you wouldn't be opposed if ${m_he} was the opposite gender. You identify as bisexual.
    *set orientation "bisexual"
    *set M_Interested true

If I choose my sexuality as bisexual, or even a gay who appreciates Misao’s looks, the M_Intersted variable is set as True. Later on in Chapter2h (bus together scene)…

#"Absolutely not." Disgusted, you cross your arms.
    *if (M_interested = true)
        You hope that neither of them can hear the pitter-patter of your chest.

#"We... do?" You look at Misao, scrunching your nose up in confusion.
        You'd be lying if you weren't a little pleased by her assessment.

#"Actually we only just met." You correct her quietly.
    "Yes," Misao looks at you, "It was only by a chance encounter did we meet each other."

*if (M_interested)
        *set shy +2            
        You feel a little hot under ${m_his} gaze and you swallow dryly.

No way to avoid being… well, interested. And ofcourse, the most blatant;

You leave the part about the crush you’ve developed, unspoken.

It’d be nice if the interest was divided into light ‘hey he’s pretty good look’n but still annoying’ and a more deeper ‘oh no he’s hot’. My MC wasn’t crushing on Misao just because he found him objectively good looking. There’s potential, but from what I envisioned my MC as, he’s definitely not a crush at first sight kind of guy…

6 Likes

Aw man :sweat_smile: I’ll have to make some changes since it shouldn’t be like that.

Thank you so much for pointing it out!

13 Likes

I cannot tell you how excited I was when I saw that beautiful option “take the bus” was not greyed out. It’s a choice I wanted to pick since the first time playing the demon, and you did not disappoint.

The relationship with Misao is already nuanced and layered. Our interactions are brief, but I can really see it growing - whether as friends, rivals or something else. Personally, I love to annoy them. So thank you for giving me so many chances to do so. And nowhere else can I irritate the standoffish fox more than this bus route.

Spoilers for the update ahead:

Watching Misao pick leaves off the ground was honestly hilarious. As was the fact I can throw a newspaper at them and bolt out of the situation :smile: If you keep this level of different interactions and outcomes with not only Misao but all the rest of the cast thought the book, then I know this game will be one of my favorites.

Speaking of characters, I absolutely adored the bus lady. Again, short interaction and short cameo, but she left the mark I suspect you wanted her to leave. She left it quite strikingly. This passage, particularly, stuck with me:

Beautifully written.

I can’t wait to know more about her. About her reasons for so clearly making sure we know she is not ordinary. Also, what is possibly happening at the beach?

All in all, I liked this update very much. I really appreciate your attention to detail. I may even try and flirt with Misao, just to see how much the interactions change.

12 Likes

Can we be a cook instead at our job? Because death to the front of the house.

3 Likes