Romantic Comedies

Can anyone actually recommend a romantic comedy? Or what it is they like about this genre?

It’s a genre I have huge issues with, because the behavior seems really toxic to me.

Possible Yandere Games....?

Yes, thank you. That’s one of the reasons why I dislike a lot of romantic comedies (not all, some are well done) but they often come off as overly sappy and predictable or kind of creepy. In real life if a girl really doesn’t like you and you pretty much stalk her for a few months, you’ll be more likely to end up with a restraining order, not a wedding. It does send a bad message but seems to be part of the normalised movie storylines for some reason I’ve never been able to work out.

I’m curious as to which ones are the well done ones?

Ok you got me. I was thinking through the ones I had in my “not too bad” basket and actually couldn’t think of one without issues. I think that’s actually showing how desensitised you can actually get to it.

Take Stardust which actually isn’t in my “awful” grouping from a female romantic trope category (I’m not saying that it doesn’t have other issues with other tropes, because it does, but focusing purely on that): The MC Tristan is trying to win the heart of his initial “love” who doesn’t love him but leads him on anyway to go on a quest for her.

Yvaine the main love interest (who is of course beautiful, perfect and good) does end up with Tristan in the end in a consensual fashion (and she does end up giving real help in saving the day, all be it only after she realises Tristan really does love her. Otherwise she was just going to die, because you can’t be whole and powerful within yourself without someone to love you can you?) But in the beginning he does drag her around with him against her will in chains for a bit to present as a gift to his initial love.

(That is a bit of a “what?!” moment. Apparently its ok because she wasnt technically a real woman, she was a star that just happened to be a woman while not in the sky). She escapes, he saves her, she forgives him and apparently it’s all good and she loves him. (Sounds bad when you put it that way doesn’t it!)

So I’m giving up. Can anyone actually recommend a romantic comedy that doesn’t have these sorts of tropes running though them?

I’ve seen Stardust, I wouldn’t have put it in the rom-com genre, although it has romance and comedy elements to it so I can see why.

I did like that the woman he goes off on the quest for, isn’t actually the one he ends up with. She wasn’t actually a bad person, just not interested in him. I like those sorts of themes.

I think the rom-com I watched, which was least annoying to me was My Best Friends Wedding. Wherein Julia Roberts character has a pact with her best friend that they’ll get married if they’re both single by 30. However he finds someone else, and is about to get married. Julia Roberts’ character goes through a whole bunch of despicable things trying to win her best friend back and sabotage their wedding just as happens in most romantic comedies.

Usually, this is where he realises she’s the one he loves all along. And where the pretty blonde woman is revealed to be nasty, just after his money, or cheating, or something. BUT it doesn’t happen that way. She turns out to be every bit as sweet as she appears, and the protagonists plans fail. She doesn’t break them up and she doesn’t get the guy. She does get forgiven thing.

Punch Drunk Love springs to mind.

Toxic behaviour?

Shaun of the Dead.

Although, to be fair, that’s kind of playing fast and loose with the term ‘romantic comedy’.

@122BCooper

Tell us about Punch Drunk Love?

Hmm I’ll copy/paste my whole comment in.

I can’t watch most romantic comedies because I generally find the behaviour in them creepy and toxic. I think that some romance movies do normalise abusive behaviours, and that’s dangerous.

At the same time I hate saying that, because it feels rather sexist to me, to speak ill of a genre that a lot of women enjoy.

So toxic behaviour like lying, stalking, being manipulative, not communicating properly and presenting that as how people should act because it’s romantic.

@Sherlock221B

Aha! Shaun of the Dead is a ZomRomCom :slight_smile: So I suppose it counts. It’s a funny movie.

Suddenly I forgot all romantic comedies I’ve seen. :neutral_face:

@Lexa REMEMBER!!! Or if you like the genre, tell us what you like about it

Adam Sandler’s movies keep popping up in my head. Make it stop.

For some reason, I abhor Hollywood rom-coms (save for a few exceptions), but I go gaga over foreign rom-coms, particularly Japanese and Korean, and more recently, French ones. But my type of rom-coms are anime and dramas, so it’s serialized instead of one feature length film. Must be a cultural thing, I guess.

I’m not a fan of the genre but I don’t think that the general romantic comedy movie present those behaviours as how people should act. In fact one of the most common tropes I see is “girl helps guy get (stalk, manipulate) another girl but that behaviour actually fails and the guy don’t get his dream girl. BUT he realises he loves the girl that helped him and they end up together.” The opposite is also common (guy helps girl get her dream guy…)

@Sherlock221B Have you watched Tucker and Dale vs Evil ? It sort of reminds me of Shaun of the Dead, doesn’t have zombies but is AWESOME.

I have watched Tucker and Dale vs Evil! That was funny too!

That is legitimately one of my favourite movies. Very interesting twist in such a funny way.

I suppose it has the ghost of a romantic element, but even so it’s more like a romCOM. Emphasis on the comedy. And the psychopath(s).

Romantic comedy films have (de)evolved over time. Many of the classical movies from the 1930’s and 1940’s Hollywood involve different elements than most of today’s offerings.

The idea of overcoming circumstances to actually find love, often expressed in music or drama in the older movies with comedic elements for relief from the circumstances denying the love in the first place, is meant to reaffirm the importance of love.

The comedy involved often was meant to emphasis the human elements of a relationship.

I really enjoyed romantic comedies when I was in my teenage years where my cynical experiences with relationships were not yet ingrained into my psych. Movies like “Pretty Woman” allowed me to have a “fantasy” that love could triumph even in really abnormal and non-realistic settings. They often were escapism - much how my best friend in high school (who was a guy) used action-hero movies as an escape.

I sort of equate the two genres in the same “escapism” category.

I just watched Pitch Perfect 2, nothing wrong about a romcom focused on acapellas. :smile:

Except…you know…acapellas.

That’s wonderfully explained.

Here is a list of a couple of Romantic Comedies and why they made an impression on me:

1. Pretty Woman - first “racy” film I saw against the wishes of my mom. I thought Julie Roberts was pretty and I loved her outfits. I really didn’t care about the story.

2. Coyote Ugly - A romantic comedy that started to tell us that the modern woman and her independence was sexy and desirable…

3. Sleepless in Seattle - A movie I saw long after it was released - the entire story actually captured my imagination and the relationship in it was a storybook telling of finding love in the weirdest way.

There was a time-traveling love story that I really liked and I thought it was the best of the genre but I can’t remember the name of it. It involved a guy getting on a train, traveling back in time, finding his life-mate and living out his life in the past… was really well done on many levels.