Resonance WIP - Community Input Appreciated

@CS_Closet I glad to know you are back and hope you are better and your game lore is amazing same level for me way walker only need more polish to shine and more writing I hope in a future will be a Ehl Dain empire meting like when occident rediscover china and Japan I love wring the victory to Ehl

Way Walkers is actually what inspired me to sort out the lore a bit more. :smiley:
That and all of the questions I get from everyone here.

Fun fact: After some number crunching in my head, I’ve figured out that the PC is potentially given the power of life or death over more than 450,000 people throughout the course of this game. :slight_smile:

Well if it makes you feel better CS, I play all of the origins, the soldier is my least favorite, I suppose it just doesn’t have as much pizzazz as the others.

Although it’s a pity that the rumours of the artist’s people being demonologists seems to have been exaggerated, getting my revenge through the judicious use of demons would’ve been interesting.

I like all of my builds except for the Ehl Imperium Linguist. He had very little appreciable skills, and while Intelligence is useful, my soldier build got about 23 Intelligence anyway.

You have a point there, Wyrmspawn, but CS keeps saying that combat is the suboptimal method of problem solving in this game, which isn’t something I’d have expected since all the reavers have been described as basically being the medieval equivalent of space marines.

No one insult my Elh professor !!! the pen could be more lethal than the sword and inteligence and manipulation could gain kingdoms the weapons never imagine X( Damn @Wyrmspawn insult the honor of my character beware your character maybe he found some poison surprise is a joke Wyrm you dont like maquiavelian characters I don’t Like blunt soldiers for hire the amazing of this game is we could choose

Haven’t you ever heard the saying,“brute strength dominates all”? My elf and my soldier won’t wait for Machiavelli to concoct a plan. They’ll kill first and ask no questions later. Elegance can help you conserve strength, but why bother conserving strength when you have a virtually limitless amount of it?

Besides, Machiavelli wasn’t really evil, all he ever did was point out fear was highly effective at keeping a country in order.

As to the pen being mightier than the sword, that is only true since the pen can inspire more swords to fight for it.

My Imperial Soldier and Elf are not soldiers for hire. They are the finest fighters there are. Hopefully, by the end of the game, my elf can block arrows with his swords and intercept arrows with his own, while my soldier will be able to use a battleaxe to create new canyons at will.

my Elh girl don’t need use weapons herself except poison maybe she will use anothers ambition and army to conquer her needs and then betray them a dangeurous dance as lethal as a fight in the game of thrones…
sorry I got a fighter day but is an average speech. @Wyrmspawn maybe wecould joing forces together we can rule the world of Daria

@stsword
I don’t think I would say that it’s suboptimal to choose the brute force path. It’s just that fighting isn’t necessarily the task the PC was given (although it can be a solution), and it’s more likely to lead to death since the character is likely to put themselves in highly dangerous situations more often.

And the Imperial soldier background probably seems a little flat because they don’t face any of the challenges that the other backgrounds do. It’s more so the safe, balanced option, like choosing to play a human in D&D. No real strengths or weaknesses either way. Plus, the actually fit in!

Also, demons are dangerous. That revenge would be short-lived (but probably no less satisfying >:) ).

@Wyrmspawn @MaraJade
Force people into submission, talk people into submission… As long as it gets the intended result, both methods are equally as successful, no?

yes end is what matters

I thought solders had the highest combat skill?

@Mardam elves start off with the highest combat skill, but soldiers have the highest effort multiplier, so they can learn combat skills faster. I think.

The soldiers gain a bonus to weapon skills throughout the game, but they do start off with a small boost to combat. Elves do indeed start off with the better overall fighting abilities (+25 combat, +10 sword, +10 archery). Either way, they both eliminate the initial slow period for learning to fight.

The effort multiplier should have little, if anything, to do with origin. It’s based on the PC’s attitude toward the Empire and willingness to work toward its goals.

@CS_Closet so if you play as a rebel, you may be a bit weaker than a full-on empire supporter?

Surrender to the empire rebel scum. You know dark side is more powerful and quick join the dark side @Redgrave together we can conquest Daria. I dont know my girl is very weak and loyal

@Redgrave
That is true. Having a low effort stat will weaken your own abilities (@MaraJade: it’s mainly fighting skills and occasionally focus). It would also tend to make skill checks on your missions more difficult, lower relationship gains with dedicated Imperials, and generally lead to more failure than success.

However, it isn’t there to only aid Imperial supporters. When aiding anti-Imperial elements, the inverse of the coefficient is used. That means a lower stat will actually gain you easier skill checks, bigger relationship gains with fellow rebels, and an overall better chance to support the anti-Imperial cause (though you’ll probably still end up personally weakened).

Another interesting side effect of this system is that it makes it much harder should you choose to switch sides. If you’ve been playing as an Imperial supporter and decide to join the rebellion, you’re going to have a far more difficult time with your skill checks (or even getting anyone to believe your sincerity!).

On top of that, your success is the Empire’s success. If you really want to weaken them, failing your skill checks and missions is like screwing them over while still looking like you’re trying to help. It should keep your loyalty score high enough that you don’t get yourself accused of treason in the process (unlike some more obvious actions you could take).

Hopefully, that’s a good overview of how the effort coefficient comes into play. I’m surprised anyone has even noticed it. It usually chills out in the background, silently manipulating your stats to it’s will without ever giving much of an indication of it’s activity. :slight_smile:

Was the beta meant to end at the most interesting part thus far? :V
I was really looking forward to seeing how the king reacted to an aggressive approach. Great game :smiley:

@Ninjasplaycardgames2
I’m trying to get the conclusion of it done, but all three fight sequences are riddled with errors! X(

Every time I think I’ve fixed it all, 2 hours of randomtest later, something else is wrong. I guess that’s what I get for making something long and complicated. :-))

Will try my hardest to update to the end of Chapter 3 this weekend, after which get to work on fixing all of the event/mission sorting errors as well as the fate tracing errors!

On the plus side, all of this time waiting around for randomtest to finish has given me a chance to make a new title image.

Finally i have made it to scroll 600 comments down on my Ipod but now i must go back to find a link
lol

Um… Oops. Sorry about that, @P0RT3R.

Link: http://bit.ly/RTZ2NW

I really need to stay on top of that. :frowning: